• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

A Song of Ice & Fire (Book Discussion Only) *Possible Spoilers Inside*

4_4

I'm starting A Clash of Kings sometime this week. My expectations are as follows:

-By the end of the 2nd book, Joffrey best be dismembered. I do hope that it is Sansa who grows a pair and does it - Lorena Bobbit style.

-Khal Drogo best rise from the dead and command his Dragon Khal alongside Danaerys.

• Replies 968
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm starting A Clash of Kings sometime this week. My expectations are as follows:

-By the end of the 2nd book, Joffrey best be dismembered. I do hope that it is Sansa who grows a pair and does it - Lorena Bobbit style.

-Khal Drogo best rise from the dead and command his Dragon Khal alongside Danaerys.

Wrong on both counts, I doubt anyone will guess the truth of what will happen. I know I didn't I've already finished all 4 books and preordered the 5th, which I should have in a week or so. Can't wait. The best part about the book as you read on is the evolution of the characters - you WILL change your opinion of some of the characters, and some of them remain as lovable or as resentful as they were in the first book!

For fear of what — spoilers?

Yea. People are obviously on different paths. Some are reading ahead, others are not. We shouldn't have to come in and have to read posts from folks who are reading or have read the books and are spoiling it.

Best option is two separate threads —*one for spoilers and the other not, though I'm not sure even that would work. The other option would be to simply start getting users who've read to use the spoiler tag. That's what it's there for. If they don't use it on their own, it'll be used for them. I'll likely be far in the books by then, so if I see spoilers before the season starts, or during it, I'll edit those posts as quickly as possible to include the spoiled parts within those tags.

Best option is two separate threads —*one for spoilers and the other not, though I'm not sure even that would work. The other option would be to simply start getting users who've read to use the spoiler tag. That's what it's there for. If they don't use it on their own, it'll be used for them. I'll likely be far in the books by then, so if I see spoilers before the season starts, or during it, I'll edit those posts as quickly as possible to include the spoiled parts within those tags.

I was thinking a book discussion thread and an episode thread, but if you want to edit this thread for spoilers, have at it.

Problem is, you'll still have to read the spoilers themselves as they're posted in both threads, because it's all but certain they will be.

I could edit the OP of this thread to include a rather large warning note asking users to use the spoiler tag if they're discussing spoiler topics, but one way or the other someone at some point will post them. It's just what happens when discussing topics like this.

If you think splitting the threads will help more, I have no problem with that, but I just don't see it happening. I think those who read who are still watching will still read the "show" thread and still share spoilers, if even by accident.

I don't think I've spoiled anything at all - all I intended to say is that the books are very good and well worth the read. My apologies if you were referring to me Peetie.

I was not, Dane. There are a few people in the thread who are discussing the books, in detail, and also providing commentary for those who were discussing the show and making inferences (yes, you're right, you'll see next week, no he doesn't die until later, etc). I apologize if you thought it was directed to you.

Problem is, you'll still have to read the spoilers themselves as they're posted in both threads, because it's all but certain they will be.

I could edit the OP of this thread to include a rather large warning note asking users to use the spoiler tag if they're discussing spoiler topics, but one way or the other someone at some point will post them. It's just what happens when discussing topics like this.

If you think splitting the threads will help more, I have no problem with that, but I just don't see it happening. I think those who read who are still watching will still read the "show" thread and still share spoilers, if even by accident.

THen we should ban them.

I was not, Dane. There are a few people in the thread who are discussing the books, in detail, and also providing commentary for those who were discussing the show and making inferences (yes, you're right, you'll see next week, no he doesn't die until later, etc). I apologize if you thought it was directed to you.

Ok that's good, I understand that spoiling is not cool and ruins it for those who don't chain-read or who prefer who just want to watch the HBO show. I'm hoping season 2 will have more than 10 episodes, anyone know when it will premiere?

Ok that's good, I understand that spoiling is not cool and ruins it for those who don't chain-read or who prefer who just want to watch the HBO show. I'm hoping season 2 will have more than 10 episodes, anyone know when it will premiere?

Spring of 2012. No word on month or date yet.

I am soooo not sorry Peetie :D, well kinda I am. A splitted discussion would probably make sense, but is it needed? The TV show won't return before spring and might get a new thread then, which would be fitting as the 2nd season probably is named after the second book.

Spoilermarks is the best way, but one should add a warning how far someone should have read, before reading the spoiler, so you guys who are currently reading the earlier books won't accidentaly read a spoiler from Vol. 4 or 5.

On a side note, got message from Amazon today that they shipped the book. So I will have Vol.5 by wednesday as latest. :)

It's here, It's here. I've got my copy of "A dance with Dragons" today.

lol at the dedication to men and women from "Asshai, Spain" who sang him of "the bear and maiden fair", has there ever been a complete version of that "nice" little song? :D

Happy fan here right now. :)

It's here, It's here. I've got my copy of "A dance with Dragons" today.

lol at the dedication to men and women from "Asshai, Spain" who sang him of "the bear and maiden fair", has there ever been a complete version of that "nice" little song? :D

Happy fan here right now. :)

I have to go away for a two day business trip today, expecting to find the book at my doorstep when I get back though!