• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

The Ghost of Foley's – General Chat

Pete

Yeah good luck robin! Stay POSITIVE !

Thanks, I'm trying. :)

I can tell you from personal experience that if the parents are not happy, the child will not be either. My parents never divorced and they really should have. They absolutely hate each other and they stayed together for me and I honestly cant imagine it being any worst if they just split.

I know what you mean, hon, but it would've been so much worse if I left and ended up in some shitty apartment with my son. At least we've been in a stable home, never worrying about where the money will come from...

Hey Robin hoping for the best!! In the end you will truly be happy, stay positive :D

We are all here for you!

Thanks, JD. :)

Trying to stay positive. I missed two classes last week because of a family emergency so I email my instructor to find out if there was any work I missed. So I send up a few follow ups so I can be prepared for class.

I get back a snide email this morning saying that I can only hand in the final project. :wtf: I offered to deliver any work I missed but she doesn't have the common courtesy to respond to any of my emails? :curse: :curse: :curse: So glad I am done with this fucking school.

Trying to stay positive. I missed two classes last week because of a family emergency so I email my instructor to find out if there was any work I missed. So I send up a few follow ups so I can be prepared for class.

I get back a snide email this morning saying that I can only hand in the final project. :wtf: I offered to deliver any work I missed but she doesn't have the common courtesy to respond to any of my emails? :curse: :curse: :curse: So glad I am done with this fucking school.

Honestly, I am not surprised you received a snide email back. I am always courteous with my responses back to students, but If I had a nickel for every family emergency I get over the semester, well, I would have a lot of nickels. It is the replacement for the dead grand parents excuse.Believe it or not, Students lie to their instructors all the time. As legitimate as your excuse was, we receive a number of B/S excuses that we are expected to take a face value. Some ask for documentation, others are brazen enough to call students on their b/s, others just let it slide. It doesn't excuse her from being snide, but it is most likely a reaction to an inbox littered with excuses.

Honestly, I am not surprised you received a snide email back. I am always courteous with my responses back to students, but If I had a nickel for every family emergency I get over the semester, well, I would have a lot of nickels. It is the replacement for the dead grand parents excuse.Believe it or not, Students lie to their instructors all the time. As legitimate as your excuse was, we receive a number of B/S excuses that we are expected to take a face value. Some ask for documentation, others are brazen enough to call students on their b/s, others just let it slide. It doesn't excuse her from being snide, but it is most likely a reaction to an inbox littered with excuses.

I have to agree with you, man. Excuses are excuses. Discuss them up front. Instead of "I missed two classes because of a family emergency", you should absolutely email your professor saying "I have to miss two classes, ______________, what work do I need to complete upon my return?"

I have to agree with you, man. Excuses are excuses. Discuss them up front. Instead of "I missed two classes because of a family emergency", you should absolutely email your professor saying "I have to miss two classes, ______________, what work do I need to complete upon my return?"

Emergency implies suddenness.

Emergency implies suddenness.

I'm quite sure that it was so sudden and so severe that in the span of a week (your average college class meets twice a week) there wasn't a single moment to send that email. People check their email RELIGIOUSLY on a damn near bi-hourly basis and if they don't they at least check in on their phones.

Not sending that email within at least 24 hours of the emergency suggests a lack of concern to me.

Just to clarify for you - don't be upset with my responses. I'm speaking in generalizations here. Whatever happened, I hope you and yours are alright.

Just coming at you from an experienced voice on the other side, just like Niagara.

I honestly feel for those who really do have a family emergency, and I can usually tell who is feeding me a line. With that said, I receive at least 3-4 family emergency emails a week (or something of that ilk). Last week (Finals and Research paper/final presentations due), I have had 7 (!) stating that their emergency hindered them from getting their paper into me on time. The same paper that I assigned in early February...

It really is a bad apple spoils the bunch kind of thing, because I have caught several students who have lied to me straight up and I need to react appropriately.

I've always found that brute honesty is the best approach.

"Phil, why didn't you do the assignment?"

"Because I didn't feel like it."

"You know I have to give you a 0 for this, right?"

"Yup".

"OK..."

I honestly feel for those who really do have a family emergency, and I can usually tell who is feeding me a line. With that said, I receive at least 3-4 family emergency emails a week (or something of that ilk). Last week (Finals and Research paper/final presentations due), I have had 7 (!) stating that their emergency hindered them from getting their paper into me on time. The same paper that I assigned in early February...

It really is a bad apple spoils the bunch kind of thing, because I have caught several students who have lied to me straight up and I need to react appropriately.

My rule with this kind of thing is that if you let me know ASAP, you're fine. If you're honest with me, you're fine.

If you drop the ball and I give you another chance, your work best be dynamite.

Everything is ok. Grandmother stopped breathing on my watch and now she has an oxygen tank because she is dying. It's a very troubling circumstance .

She is 83, life long smoker and moved in with my family because of her health.

I am very direct with my professors and make it a point to be personable with them so I don't just blend into the crowd. What bothers me is a response was given today instead of earlier.

I don't care what the response but have courtesy to email in a timely manner.

And I understand the above generalzation posts and take no offense because I understand the nature of excuses.

Edited by CreaseCrusader91

My rule with this kind of thing is that if you let me know ASAP, you're fine. If you're honest with me, you're fine.

If you drop the ball and I give you another chance, your work best be dynamite.

Pretty much my theory as well.

Creasecrusader, did you email your instructor on a Friday? Or was it during the week? Most of my colleagues will, for their own sanity, disconnect from their email on the weekend. Then you also have the idea of what a timely manner is. For me, it is 24 hours, other instructors I know feel that a week is acceptable

Pretty much my theory as well.

Creasecrusader, did you email your instructor on a Friday? Or was it during the week? Most of my colleagues will, for their own sanity, disconnect from their email on the weekend. Then you also have the idea of what a timely manner is. For me, it is 24 hours, other instructors I know feel that a week is acceptable

Class is on Tuesday morning emailed her at 1:00 that afternoon, explained what happened, asked if she had any classes on Wednesday so I could deliver the projects. Emailed again on Thursday, and Friday and received a response this morning.

I have a lot of responsibility in my house and I go to school and work. I was very open at the beginning of the semester because I explained the nature of my home environment. The biggest thing is that this is an elective radio class. I had all the work done and just needed to give it to her, it wasn't that because of X emergency I couldn't complete my work.

Class is on Tuesday morning emailed her at 1:00 that afternoon, explained what happened, asked if she had any classes on Wednesday so I could deliver the projects. Emailed again on Thursday, and Friday and received a response this morning.

I have a lot of responsibility in my house and I go to school and work. I was very open at the beginning of the semester because I explained the nature of my home environment. The biggest thing is that this is an elective radio class. I had all the work done and just needed to give it to her, it wasn't that because of X emergency I couldn't complete my work.

Right, It sounds like you just got a bad shake from a burnt out instructor. You did everything right, and did not warrant a snide response. I was just trying to give you reasoning behind the rudeness. I don't understand my colleagues, especially at a school where teaching is a bulk of the work (instead of research, etc.). It is almost like they want to be pricks.

Everything is ok. Grandmother stopped breathing on my watch and now she has an oxygen tank because she is dying. It's a very troubling circumstance .

She is 83, life long smoker and moved in with my family because of her health.

I am very direct with my professors and make it a point to be personable with them so I don't just blend into the crowd. What bothers me is a response was given today instead of earlier.

I don't care what the response but have courtesy to email in a timely manner.

And I understand the above generalzation posts and take no offense because I understand the nature of excuses.

My grandfather was a life long smoker and is now dying of lung cancer. I feel your pain. It's a bitch, it's too bad the chemo isn't working for him anymore, and he has limited time.

Right, It sounds like you just got a bad shake from a burnt out instructor. You did everything right, and did not warrant a snide response. I was just trying to give you reasoning behind the rudeness. I don't understand my colleagues, especially at a school where teaching is a bulk of the work (instead of research, etc.). It is almost like they want to be pricks.

What pissed me off is she said,

At this point, I will only take your final assignment.

I emailed her the day off to arrange a way to hand in assignments the next day but no response and then it is my fault when I go by her classroom and office and she isn't there.

-----------------

My grandfather was a life long smoker and is now dying of lung cancer. I feel your pain. It's a bitch, it's too bad the chemo isn't working for him anymore, and he has limited time.

My grandmother had lung cancer and breast cancer, went through chemotherapy and it helped and she was fine and this is going back 5-6 years ago. It is the emphysema that is killing her as her lungs are for shit. She is such a strong person it is hard to see. My grandfather died of stomach cancer in 1986. He was 56 and my Mom was only 19 so my Grandmother was all alone. She has four kids, two other in NY, one of which never makes time for her and one in Texas.

I am not usually emotional because I am used to death. I have had relatives die, friends who have committed suicide so I am used to "death" but not "dying" if that makes sense. Watching someone who took care of me in my early life slowly deteriorate in front of my eyes is very hard because I know the days are coming.

My Mom and I are the ones who take care of her. We take her to the doctor, hospital, help her our and such. My sister is oblivious, my brother is young and My Dad is always working.

It was just this little email that set me off because If I got the same message on Friday it wouldn't have mattered because she at least would have dealt with me in a prompt manner.

-----------------------

Could it have been emailed?

Yes but for whatever reason she doesn't take emailed assignments. It would have been a 30:00 minute MP3 file and I even offered that.

Edited by CreaseCrusader91

Next time, Email it anyway, even if they don't accept emailed assignments. The reason being, if you ever need to file a grade appeal, your family emergency would qualify for extenuating circumstances. You emailed it before the due date, and any reasonable person should see that you aren't bsing. Plus, on the grade appeal, that would be evidence in your favor.