• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Devils Hire Sheldon Keefe as New Head Coach

8 minutes ago, RichieNextel305 said:

Keefe is known to whine more than most coaches. The Devils fans will be his parrot. Expect more whining from them then ever starting next year.

Somebody with a pulse though is something they desperately needed looking from the outside. Ruff isn't that guy at this stage in his career imo. I'm glad they didn't get Berube.  I think they reached a point where anybody but Ruff, seemed like they tuned him out.  Obviously I still continue to wish them nothing but L's regardless of the coach.

Was listening to Game Misconduct podcast late last week and I thought LaGreca had the best take on this hire by categorizing it as "a hire." He also pointed out that Keefe's biggest problem in Toronto is that he had a highly talented group of forwards with a poor defense and no goalie. So he's going to coach the Devils... who have a highly talented group of forwards, a poor defense, and no goalie.

Yes, they currently have poor defense and no goalie, but they're absolutely positively going to get a goalie this off-season. And their young defense is going to continue to garner experience while they jettison the dead weight of Brandon Smith and the like. 

And it's a false equivalence to compare the Leafs and the Devils. The Devils have all of their core players signed to fair or below market value deals and most of the Leafs big players are significantly overpaid. That difference will allow the Devils to fix some of their other roster problems in ways the Leafs cannot.

2 hours ago, Morphinity 2.0 said:

Yes, they currently have poor defense and no goalie, but they're absolutely positively going to get a goalie this off-season. And their young defense is going to continue to garner experience while they jettison the dead weight of Brandon Smith and the like. 

And it's a false equivalence to compare the Leafs and the Devils. The Devils have all of their core players signed to fair or below market value deals and most of the Leafs big players are significantly overpaid. That difference will allow the Devils to fix some of their other roster problems in ways the Leafs cannot.

Yeah, they went over a bunch of this on the pod. I might be misremembering, but I'm pretty sure LaGreca said to just check back with him closer to the start of the season and he'd have more of an opinion then. They have to get a goalie, and you need to see what other moves get made before you can judge this, becuase right now, at face value, it's swapping one problematic build for another. The biggest difference, like you said, is the Devils have the flexibility to alter things that the Leafs didn't.