• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

2023-24 ECF #1: Rangers vs. Florida Panthers — All Hail Christopher James

3 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

lol I completely forgot they got Ruwedel. Another worthless acquisition just like the others at the deadline.

I didn't understand it either. They had Zac Jones already for an undersized depth option. If you're going to get a depth defenseman, at least get something that's different enough from what you have.

3 minutes ago, phillyb said:

But JD said that we're gonna be happy!

Did you hear the lack of confidence in Drury's voice there? hahaha

I'm referencing this for those that don't know:

What he meant to say is you’re gonna be happy his contract is over after this year

What puke!

A fairly shitty game by us tonight, and overall I thought Florida wasn't all that great either.  This was probably one of the more lackluster playoff games I've seen in quite some time.

This one had a bad vibe in it from the start for me, and I'll leave it at that!

And here are the Top 12 nominees for tonight's “Ozzy Quote of the GDT”, sponsored by Jimmy's sauce...where we have no sound, and close at 9:30pm...Never again you fucking diseased cunts!

5 hours ago, Zuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuc said:

You guys think 8pm is tough? I’ve been doing red bull shots for an hour already trying to stay awake.

4 hours ago, Dem said:

Mess really needs to punch the clown in the mouth w authority

3 hours ago, knedragon said:

Maybe Emily for a ECF knobjob 

3 hours ago, phillyb said:

The dude is so braindead. Been chillin with Purple Hayes. 

2 hours ago, Karan said:

Always gotta be responsible for your shaft. 

2 hours ago, knedragon said:

New batch of Balsa Wood sticks just came in 

1 hour ago, Sharpshooter said:

All the excitement and energy of the final game of preseason.

1 hour ago, Abe Froman said:

Do they know that even if it's overturned they actually have to score a goal?

1 hour ago, Scott said:

The pic with Lindgren with the tampon in his nose sums up this game up until now anyway.

1 hour ago, phillyb said:

Everything about that was terrible. Igor playing that puck for no reason and the own goal. 

1 hour ago, Vodka Drunkenski said:

this was dumb then, it’s even dumber now…congrats 

1 hour ago, Abe Froman said:

I hope he chokes on his mouth guard.

This game sucked...flat out!  Tonight was a fucking disaster, and I knew it from the get-go!  More on that later...

The winning quote for tonight’s GDT goes to Abe @Abe Froman, and I agree, my man.  I hope that prick gets hit by a bus in both directions. 

I wasn't impressed by either team tonight, but either way, we're down 1-0 and looked fucking pitiful!

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Applause 1

Oooooofff! Was hoping to read an entirely different story. WTF? I’m chalking it up to ‘rest rust’ but you just can’t have that in the ECF. This thread gives me zero confidence other than knowing we’ve seen this Jekyll-n-Hyde movie before. Wake up in Game 2 and all is forgiven. LFGR!!

Posted (edited)

These takes are so dramatic and born out of frustration.

This was a completely winnable game. Florida's goals came off of Igor making mistakes that he normally doesn't make.

I'm so tired of the "Rangers need shots!" Nonsense. They hit one post and missed by inches on 3 or 4 other chances. We've seen already that they don't need a lot of shots, they just need the right ones, and they had those. They just didn't go in tonight and that happens. 

If you guys were upset by this game, you better buckle in because Florida is a shot suppression team so they aren't going to give up much. And that doesn't matter, because the Rangers don't need much. 

They were right there pressing until Roslovic lost the momentum, and they were right there pressing until Shesterkin made a bonehead play that led to a bad bounce. 

That was a winnable game. 

Now I don't blame anybody for being frustrated, but The situation is nowhere near as desperate as some folks are trying to make it. 

Edited by Pete
  • Like 1
  • Bullseye 1
  • Applause 1

Posted (edited)

Although his involvement in the 2nd was awful I don’t really see how you can possibly place any blame on the goaltender when the team scored 0 goals, generated next to no offense, had virtually no sustained pressure and the 1st, 2nd and 3rd lines were completely unable to deal with Florida’s fore check and neutral zone game plan. 

Totally agree the game was winnable though, and it’s honestly a slight positive that they were in the game all night long despite the above. No reason to get too down, it’ll be a long series. They obviously have to come up with a plan to drastically improve their breakouts though.

Edited by Gravesy
  • Like 2

If Wennberg hits an open net with about 7 minutes left, the end of this game would have been completely different. It's not gonna be easy but that's how things are the deeper you go into the playoffs. Discounting the ENG, Panthers' 2 goals are garbage mistakes that Igor and this team don't make. So we got that out of the way. 

Shots are needed. But not the Canes' variety of 50-60 foot point shots, rather in close. And Panarin and the entire team needs to get to the net. They're gonna be on you, there's not gonna be time for fancy passing . Got an open shooting lane in close, take it,and ASAP. That cross ice  pass in February vs. the Blue Jackets, don't do that. 

This is fixable. What ever anyone thinks about those 2 goals, Igor is more angry with himself than anyone else is. 

• Like 1
  • Keeps it 100 1

Panthers were sharper.

Rangers were flat.

Still… Igor lets in a couple that he normally doesn’t… I kind of expected a game like this to open the series. 

It’s fine.

This series is going deep

1 hour ago, Bugg said:

If Wennberg hits an open net with about 7 minutes left, the end of this game would have been completely different. It's not gonna be easy but that's how things are the deeper you go into the playoffs. Discounting the ENG, Panthers' 2 goals are garbage mistakes that Igor and this team don't make. So we got that out of the way. 

Shots are needed. But not the Canes' variety of 50-60 foot point shots, rather in close. And Panarin and the entire team needs to get to the net. They're gonna be on you, there's not gonna be time for fancy passing . Got an open shooting lane in close, take it,and ASAP. That cross ice  pass in February vs. the Blue Jackets, don't do that. 

This is fixable. What ever anyone thinks about those 2 goals, Igor is more angry with himself than anyone else is. 

Pretty much agree with most of this. 

They had chances that hit posts, cross bars, broken sticks, flubbed shots that miss empty nets.

It was a winnable game. They competed the whole night, they just didn't execute exits and entries which is the key to offense. Clean that up, they're fine. 

48 minutes ago, Vodka Drunkenski said:

The Panthers physically smothered them, the Rangers were never in the game

100%.

To be clear this had nothing to do with not having 5 min of Rempe on the 4th line. It’s an up and down the lineup thing. It’s finishing checks and taking contact to make plays. It’s getting the puck in deep and chasing. It’s bullying your way to the middle of the ice, forcing their defensemen to at least make a play, instead of curling and chucking a cross ice pass to a red sweater (hi again Artemi! Shave your head immediately pal!). The top 9 has to sack up.

• Bullseye 2
  • Keeps it 100 1

Nah. I think Ranger fans are just hard wired to complain about their own team more than most.

Florida fans probably look at last night's game and are happy with their team's performance, but if roles were reversed and the Rangers played Florida's game, everyone here would whine about how they got lucky on 2 goals and then went into a shell and that's not going to be good enough.

Flip it around and Florida fans would say what I'm saying. Winnable game. Nothing about that game made me think they are overmatched. It's not like they have no answer for Florida, they played an uncharacteristic game for them and they can easily fix what went wrong this game (except for the bad puck luck of posts and broken sticks).

There's no reason to worry. On to the next one.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Keeps it 100 3

9 minutes ago, Pete said:

Nah. I think Ranger fans are just hard wired to complain about their own team more than most.

Florida fans probably look at last night's game and are happy with their team's performance, but if roles were reversed and the Rangers played Florida's game, everyone here would whine about how they got lucky on 2 goals and then went into a shell and that's not going to be good enough.

Flip it around and Florida fans would say what I'm saying. Winnable game. Nothing about that game made me think they are overmatched. It's not like they have no answer for Florida, they played an uncharacteristic game for them and they can easily fix what went wrong this game (except for the bad puck luck of posts and broken sticks).

There's no reason to worry. On to the next one.

100% on board with you. I didn't see a terrible game like some are saying. The game had ebbs and flows but most games do. You hit the nail when mentioning posts and broken sticks. Could've gone either way. Wasn't our night. This was never going to be an easy series. Positive takeaway? Our PK is still awesome against a high power PP. Next one is ours. And the three following!

• Cheers 1

This was a 1-0 game after 1, with a hit post on a breakaway and another odd man that was was pure fuckshit in execution. 

The second period was as exciting as an audit

The 3rd we finally started to see some life.. Couldn't cash- 

I can't say this was anything close to a great effort. Seemed a step slow far too often. The big guns decided to be background players far too often. The goaltending advantage was decidedly in Florida's favor. Its was a winnable game for sure- it easily could have been a 1-1 game in the 3rd- Igor had to make a few solid saves, but its not like they had dozens off Grade A chances. 

What scares me a bit is save the Krider/Igor 13 minute boner fest in game 6, this has been 4 straight lackluster performances. I hope there is a switch to flip. 

15 minutes ago, Flynn said:

This was a 1-0 game after 1, with a hit post on a breakaway and another odd man that was was pure fuckshit in execution. 

The second period was as exciting as an audit

The 3rd we finally started to see some life.. Couldn't cash- 

I can't say this was anything close to a great effort. Seemed a step slow far too often. The big guns decided to be background players far too often. The goaltending advantage was decidedly in Florida's favor. Its was a winnable game for sure- it easily could have been a 1-1 game in the 3rd- Igor had to make a few solid saves, but its not like they had dozens off Grade A chances. 

What scares me a bit is save the Krider/Igor 13 minute boner fest in game 6, this has been 4 straight lackluster performances. I hope there is a switch to flip. 

There are often times in playoff series, that initial feeling out of opponents early on especially in Game 1. There was definitely some of that.

They weren’t bad. They weren’t good. Pretty meh. Kind of flat. Not really sharp. 
Saw that from both teams really I thought.

That happens when teams sit around for 5-7 days this time of year. 
Couple soft goals. Some near misses.

Its ok

Gonna be a long series 

17 minutes ago, Flynn said:

See, I've seen this a few times and I just don't agree at all.

If you expect whistle-to-whistle domination, then yea that's gonna be the take.

• Game 1 FLA is a 1 goal game where no one thinks they played their best game but they were right there in it with some puck luck. Basically Florida got all the breaks, and it wasn't breaks they created for themselves.
  • Game 6 CAR total ebbs and flows, periods where they carried the play, periods where they go caved, but showed the backbone most folks here claimed they didn't have.
  • Game 5 CAR a stinker.
  • Game 4 CAR a winnable game they could have had. If you chopped off the first 10 minutes of that game and added it the end, the Rangers win it.

Someone else said they played 1 period of good hockey in the last 4 games? Nah, I don't agree at all. They played one bad game where the flu was an issue.

• Keeps it 100 1

Even if you think the team as a whole was total garbage last night, it's clear Igor was not up to the task of bailing them out as he was all playoffs so far. And assuming both of those things are true, they were still only down 1-0 until the very end. It was a getable game, but Bob was the better goalie and made some key saves. Rangers barely missed on a few chances. Shit happens move on.

• Believe 1

11 hours ago, phillyb said:

But JD said that we're gonna be happy!

Did you hear the lack of confidence in Drury's voice there? hahaha

I'm referencing this for those that don't know:

Yeah, Roslovic, the guy they went to only after Pacioretty fell through, on top of every other big name they tried to get, including Guentzel. He was like their eighth choice.

5 minutes ago, Phil said:

Yeah, Roslovic, the guy they went to only after Pacioretty fell through, on top of every other big name they tried to get, including Guentzel. He was like their eighth choice.

More than anything I just hate the way the announcer says his name. He says it with he same disappointment as "Milhouse"