• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Hurricanes, Brind'Amour Agree to Multi-year Extension

https://www.tsn.ca/nhl/carolina-hurricanes-rod-brind-amour-agree-to-multi-year-extension-1.2122836

Brind'Amour's assistant coaches have also been extended. 

The Hurricanes are coming off a 52-win, 111-point season where they finished second in the Metropolitan Division. They made it to the second round of the playoffs before being eliminated in six games by the New York Rangers.

Brind'Amour was named head coach of the Hurricanes ahead of the 2018-19 season and has spent six campaigns behind the bench. In 452 regular season games under Brind'Amour, the Hurricanes are 278-130-44 and  have made the playoffs every year under him. He took home the Jack Adams Award as the NHL's coach of the year in 2021. 

As a player, the 53-year-old skated in 1,484 career NHL games, scoring 452 goals and 1,184 points, split between the St. Louis Blues, Philadelphia Flyers and Hurricanes. He captained the Hurricanes to its first Stanley Cup championship in 2006. The Ottawa, Ont., native also won the Frank J. Selke Trophy in 2006 and 2007.

1 minute ago, BlairBettsBlocksEverything said:

when this team gets deciamated in free agency they'll be lucky to be a playoff team. this might have been the end of the road for them. 

I'd hold off on this take for a minute.

The Canes might have a lot of free agents, but they also have a lot of cap space, a great prospect pool, and a rather nice track record of finding guys who can play BrindAmour's game in FA.

They're going to take a step back this offseason. That feels undeniable—they simply cannot keep Pesce, Necas, Jarvis, Guentzel, Skjei, Teravainen, and and. But—but—they can position themselves very well to still be a playoff team and upswing fast if they play it well.

25 minutes ago, LindG1000 said:

The Canes might have a lot of free agents, but they also have a lot of cap space, a great prospect pool, and a rather nice track record of finding guys who can play BrindAmour's game in FA.

They're going to take a step back this offseason. That feels undeniable—they simply cannot keep Pesce, Necas, Jarvis, Guentzel, Skjei, Teravainen, and and. But—but—they can position themselves very well to still be a playoff team and upswing fast if they play it well.

13 minutes ago, BlairBettsBlocksEverything said:

they have about $27 mil in cap space which looks like a lot but it'll get eaten up real fast with those guys you mentioned. they're gonna lose some key pieces 

They signed him to a 5-year extension. I think that means the coach and the organization feel he will need more than the next three or so years...

• Like 1

• Phil changed the title to Hurricanes, Brind'Amour Agree to Multi-year Extension
2 hours ago, LindG1000 said:

And the free agents they're likely to let walk are replaceable. They're probably smart not to re-sign Pesce and Skjei for massive raises, for example.

3 hours ago, LindG1000 said:

Yes but also fuck the canes 

I think Carolina is an example of a team that simply needs a better goalie, and it would make sense to lose a forward to go and get one. In general, Carolina's lineup is much greater than the sum of its parts, and they've been successful at mixing in and out different players. Goalie has long been their achilles heel. The free agent list for goalies stinks, but I wouldn't be surprised to see them big players in a trade for one.

• Keeps it 100 1

I really would've liked to see Brindy go to another team.  I think his style would benefit a Buffalo or team like that, that's kinda on the bubble.

Ahhh, whatever....the Canes are gonna be relevant no matter what...even with 16 UFA/RFA's.

1 hour ago, Ozzy said:

I really would've liked to see Brindy go to another team.  I think his style would benefit a Buffalo or team like that, that's kinda on the bubble.

Ahhh, whatever....the Canes are gonna be relevant no matter what...even with 16 UFA/RFA's.

Talk about an org that loves to suffer.....of all the coaches to hire....they looked good two seasons ago....idk what happened. It looked promising...Tage Thompson and all.

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, Keirik said:

There are also rumors they might buy out Kotkaniemi 

Personally, I'm glad they are keeping Rod. Good coach, but I think he is highly overrated. 

He does a lot with the talent he has.  I think Aho is a very good player but he's not a superstar and the Canes have nobody in that class.

2 hours ago, Ozzy said:

I think Brind'Amour and the Canes parting ways was probably the right move at this point however I understand why they didn't make the move.

You can't fire the players and there's no reason to believe they will be as good next season with the same players and the same coach.

5 minutes ago, Br4d said:

I think Brind'Amour and the Canes parting ways was probably the right move at this point however I understand why they didn't make the move.

You can't fire the players and there's no reason to believe they will be as good next season with the same players and the same coach.

They should still have quite a few of the Old Guard coming back.  They're probably going to re-tool with cheaper players that address some of their weaker areas, and then go get a scorer somehow...maybe re-sign Guentzel?

But they sure can use a goalie!

• Bullseye 1

Just now, Ozzy said:

They should still have quite a few of the Old Guard coming back.  They're probably going to re-tool with cheaper players that address some of their weaker areas, and then go get a scorer somehow...maybe re-sign Guentzel?

But they sure can use a goalie!

I think they absolutely are going to let whomever walk to resign Guentzel. He is their Panarin now.

• Keeps it 100 1

3 minutes ago, jsm7302 said:

I think they absolutely are going to let whomever walk to resign Guentzel. He is their Panarin now.

Guentzel is going to get PAIIIIIIIIID!  He pretty much showed that he didnt produce just b/c of Crosby. 

Make It Rain Money GIF

4 hours ago, Br4d said:

He does a lot with the talent he has.  I think Aho is a very good player but he's not a superstar and the Canes have nobody in that class.

Aho has 508 points in 516 games going back to the 17/18 season. Which puts him in the top 20 for centers during that time frame  That's pretty exclusive class especially considering how much he's leaned on defensively in Rods system. I personally think hes likely a 100 point player if asked a bit less of. Regardless, I still think Rod is a bit overrated. He's a pseudo winner. His teams are always bridesmaids and never brides. I don't think he lasts as long in many other markets given how often they lose in the playoffs. 

Just now, Keirik said:

Aho has 508 points in 516 games going back to the 17/18 season. Which puts him in the top 20 for centers during that time frame  That's pretty exclusive class especially considering how much he's leaned on defensively in Rods system. I personally think hes likely a 100 point player if asked a bit less of. Regardless, I still think Rod is a bit overrated. He's a pseudo winner. His teams are always bridesmaids and never brides. I don't think he lasts as long in many other markets given how often they lose in the playoffs. 

All of this. 

guy hasn’t won anything in his tenure as coach. 

but I get it he has roots there and is a fan favorite.

i personally think coaches get fired a bit too often so im a fan of staying with what you got. As a coach you improve same as a player. 

curious to see what he would do with a better team.  I’m not so sure Carolina will ever have one.