• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Nedved 1995

9 hours ago, Rangers1994 said:

Did the Rangers give up on Nedved too soon?  He had only played less than a full season before they traded him in 1995.

Ask Mark Messier. 

16 hours ago, Rangers1994 said:

Did the Rangers give up on Nedved too soon?  He had only played less than a full season before they traded him in 1995.

It's an interesting question.  He did not go on to be a Hall of Famer, but he was OK.  

I don't think it was so much that they traded him, rather it was the trade itself which was disastrous, namely trading a 25 year old Zubov.  Worse, the trade was for a 30 year old Robitaille, and a 31 year old Ulf Samuelsson.  If they had gone on to win the Cup in '96 or '97, with those guys playing a role, then sure it would have been worth it.  But they did not. 

Losing these 2 young players, not to mention trading away young guys like Amonte, Doug Weight, Todd Marchant, Darren Turcotte, really set the franchise back for years.    Now, one can argue that trading a way Amonte and Weight was necessary to win the Cup in '94.  Fair enough.  But it still stung for the rest of the decade and beyond.  

Just to put a button on your question, Rangers did re-acquire Nedved 3 years later, in 1998.

Fun side note:  Did you know that the Rangers either traded away or traded for Petr Nedved 4 times?

1) July 24, 1994: Rangers acquire Nedved from Blues in exchange for Doug Lidster and Esa Tikkanen

2) August 31, 1995: Rangers trade Nedved and Zubov to Pittsburgh for Robittaille and Samuelsson

3) Nov. 25, 1998:  Rangers acquire Nedved, Sean Pronger, and Chris Tamer from Pittsburgh for Alexei Kovalev and Harry York

4) March 3, 2004: Rangers trade Nedved and Jussi Markhanen to Oilers for Dwight Helminen, Steve Valiquette, and a 2004 2nd round pick (Dane Byers)

3 minutes ago, Flynn said:

Wooof- 

Trades 2, 3, and 4 were absolute dogshit. 

2 hours ago, Tomas Sandstrom said:

4) March 3, 2004: Rangers trade Nedved and Jussi Markhanen to Oilers for Dwight Helminen, Steve Valiquette, and a 2004 2nd round pick (Dane Byers)

You take it back right now.

• LMFAO 1
  • Applause 1

Given the success Neved had with Pittsburgh and later with the Rangers, they obviously bailed on him too quickly.  

Colin Campbell, a lousy coach who never got another offer in the NHL, did not relate well to European players.  Heck, he wasn't even so good with Canadians if they were from the East.

11 hours ago, Pete said:

Ask Mark Messier. 

I know that Messier possibly wanted Nedved gone. But I remember reading that he loved Zubov and that he wanted Zubov to stay with the Rangers.

16 minutes ago, Rangers1994 said:

I know that Messier possibly wanted Nedved gone. But I remember reading that he loved Zubov and that he wanted Zubov to stay with the Rangers.

This is also untrue. 

Nedved went to Pittsburgh and immediately had a 45 goal, 99 point season. The very best of his career.

Obviously being in the same lineup as Lemieux, Jagr, and Ron Francis helped.

But the talent was there and that season it came out full bore

7 hours ago, Sharpshooter said:

Basically just like Kovalev going from here to Pittsburgh and putting up excellent seasons.

I agree.  They probably should have given Nedved at least 1 full season before trading him to the Pens.  Unless if the Rangers had traded him for Gretzky or Nieuwendyk.

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Highwaystar said:

I just remember being so frustrated watching because he has the talent but was a complete dud for the Rangers 

Because he was being bullied as a 23-year-old by a guy 10 years older than him. 

Imagine going through what he went through to defect, just to be called "soft". What a bad take. 

Edited by Pete

2 hours ago, Pete said:

Because he was being bullied as a 23-year-old by a guy 10 years older than him. 

Imagine going through what he went through to defect, just to be called "soft". What a bad take. 

What did he go through?   And why was he called soft?