• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

No Easy Victories - 1994

3 hours ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

Probably the hottest of takes, but, I am so sick of seeing McDonald's kid featured in everything.   Still can't wait to watch it though.

100%. I mean wtf does he or his dad have to do with 1994 Stanley cup?

7 hours ago, Albatrosss said:

100%. I mean wtf does he or his dad have to do with 1994 Stanley cup?

Shot in 1986...I don't know.  But I get adding Steven to the story.  Lifelong fan, shot in the line of duty, wheelchair bound.  Award given since 1988(yes I had to look that up lol).  But why are you shoving his son, in present time, up my ass?  Wanna show him as a kid in 94?  Fine.  I don't need to see him in his NYPD dress blues in a doc about 1994 though.

• Keeps it 100 1

You know, for years, I've had this underlying feeling that perhaps folks in league office weren't too fond of the Rangers, or there was a level of jealousy or something...Things just always had a way of working against us, nothing too overtly blatant, but just little things.  Ref calls, league decisions, etc.

Perhaps we are due a little 50/50 luck of our own, and we get to the finals when this feature debuts....

Hey League Office, wouldn't the interest be higher and the ratings better if the Rangers make it to the SCF's?  

• Keeps it 100 1

1 hour ago, Tomas Sandstrom said:

You know, for years, I've had this underlying feeling that perhaps folks in league office weren't too fond of the Rangers, or there was a level of jealousy or something...Things just always had a way of working against us, nothing too overtly blatant, but just little things.  Ref calls, league decisions, etc.

Perhaps we are due a little 50/50 luck of our own, and we get to the finals when this feature debuts....

Hey League Office, wouldn't the interest be higher and the ratings better if the Rangers make it to the SCF's?  

You know how you get shitty ratings for the Stanley Cup finals? Florida versus Dallas. And I don't care about the overall size of each market, that matchup just generates zero interest out of market. Like none. 

• Keeps it 100 3

1 hour ago, Sharpshooter said:

Florida versus Vancouver, probably even worse. lol Although it's a Canadian market, but still.

No way would it be worse, all of Canada would watch.

• Keeps it 100 1

15 minutes ago, Pete said:

No way would it be worse, all of Canada would watch.

Canadian market doesnt matter for u.s. ratings, Florida vs. EDM/VAN would be dismal U.S. ratings which is what Gary Bettman, ABC/ESPN, TNT would care about.  

Posted (edited)
23 minutes ago, Blue Heaven said:

Canadian market doesnt matter for u.s. ratings, Florida vs. EDM/VAN would be dismal U.S. ratings which is what Gary Bettman, ABC/ESPN, TNT would care about.  

I don't agree, they still have broadcast rights deals in Canada.

Edited by Pete

Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, Pete said:

I don't agree, they still have broadcast rights deals in Canada.

They do, but SN, CBC, or whatever networks they have up there will always throw $$$ to the NHL for the rights.  

Here is the U.S., not so much.  Any Cup games that involve canadian teams will take a hit as far as ratings, less eyeballs on ABC/ESPN, less revenue for those stations. Hard for those stations to make money off of commercials if people aren't watching.  Canadian viewers will always watch the SCF.  

Edited by Blue Heaven

2 minutes ago, Blue Heaven said:

They do, but SN, CBC, or whatever networks they have up there will always throw $$$ to the NHL for the rights.  

Here is the U.S., not so much.  Any Cup games that involve canadian teams will take a hit as far as ratings, less eyeballs on ABC/ESPN, less revenue for those stations. Hard for those stations to make money off of commercials if people aren't watching.  Canadian viewers will always watch the SCF.  

The NHL wants Canadian teams in the finals.

6 minutes ago, Blue Heaven said:

Plus the Canadian dollar is trash, so there's a ~35% discount in revenue right off the bat. 

5 hours ago, Blue Heaven said:

No Canadian champ since 1993? All of Hoserhood will be watching as a matter of national pride.

• Keeps it 100 1

9 hours ago, Pete said:

The NHL wants Canadian teams in the finals.

A lot of Canadian fans think Bettman hates Canadian teams and only really cares about US viewership. lol I guess it depends who you ask. You'd get a lot of Canadian viewers, starving for a Cup, but then it may drop off here or in most other markets.

There are also just a ton more American teams than Canadian, which is a factor. You also have Canadian teams eliminating each other along the way, which doesn't help.

17 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

Well, they were, anyway. lol Now, just the Rangers in the Final will have to suffice. 😏

Shit, sorry - meant NYR vs EDM. One of the biggest television markets in the US vs McJesus, that's Bettman's wet dream.

1 hour ago, RangerDanger said:

Shit, sorry - meant NYR vs EDM. One of the biggest television markets in the US vs McJesus, that's Bettman's wet dream.

Indeed. Well, there has been a lot of history with the Rangers and Edmonton with personnel and trades. The 1994 Rangers team had a ton of old Edmonton players on it. There's always been kind of a connection between the two franchises.

• Keeps it 100 1

1 hour ago, RangerDanger said:

i'm not so sure about that.  It would be the sponsors' wet dream for sure but Bettman rather see smaller market teams do well.  Rangers' fanbase is strong and isnt going anywhere.  NHL needs to grow markets in FLA, Vegas, Seattle, Utah, Columbus, etc.  Yes, finals with NYR will draw more viewers but having small market teams in the finals will be better for the league in the long term.  

6 hours ago, Albatrosss said:

i'm not so sure about that.  It would be the sponsors' wet dream for sure but Bettman rather see smaller market teams do well.  Rangers' fanbase is strong and isnt going anywhere.  NHL needs to grow markets in FLA, Vegas, Seattle, Utah, Columbus, etc.  Yes, finals with NYR will draw more viewers but having small market teams in the finals will be better for the league in the long term.  

That's a good point as well.