• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

2023-24 ECSF #3: Rangers @ Carolina Hurricanes — Cry Hard With a Vengeance

5 hours ago, Pete said:

I didn't notice the play you're describing, but he's playing left-wing for the first time... You would expect some misplays. 

Pretty hilarious that we have a C playing LW when we had a glut of LW's to start the season. Roster flexibility at it's finest. Who knew Laf was a RW playing in the wrong spot for so many years?!

Was looking at the box score from game 3 and two weird things jumped out of me Trouba 24+ mins and Cuylle a little under 7 mins.  How does a 3rd pair defenseman lead the team in ice time and I guess Cuylle is now Rempe?

1 hour ago, RJWantsTheCup said:

Was looking at the box score from game 3 and two weird things jumped out of me Trouba 24+ mins and Cuylle a little under 7 mins.  How does a 3rd pair defenseman lead the team in ice time and I guess Cuylle is now Rempe?

We don't have a traditional 3rd pair the Lavi shelters and Trouba is a PK mainstay.

Lavi always has 2 centers on for DZ draws so the trickles down to a 4th liner, but no Cuylle isn't Rempe.  Cuylle was out there to start the OT.

Trouba has been very good except for 2-3 mistakes in game 2. That’s why he’s logging minutes. He’s been physical and blocking a ton of shots. 19 blocked shots in this series. Next closest is Goodrow with 7. Don’t underrate what those two are doing here.

Cuylle has been a dud offensively for like 3 months. He’s good for body checks and not much else right now, good for the 4th line and limited minutes

Game one Trouba kind of stood off Guentzel one-on-one by the side of the net.  He just stood there, stick on the ice, and Guentzel could not get a look at the goal over several seconds.   After the play Igor tapped him on the pads in appreciation of the play.

3 hours ago, RJWantsTheCup said:

Gotcha.  Trouba was rewarded for having a bad game 2.  
We will see if Chytil has more luck with scoring playing with Wennberg and Kakko. 

Isn't it past the point of rewarding or punishing veterans over a few bad plays in 1 game, a game where that player was also the most physical on the team and blocked 8 shots? I dunno, I just don't look at it as being rewarded as much as it is more like depending on a veteran player to shake it off. They need his physicality and willingness to sacrifice the body in these games whether anyone likes it or not. He's playing hard.

• Like 1
  • Applause 1

They do need his physicality and his penalty killing but you don’t find it odd that he played about 8 mins more than Schneider and Miller when they both have been markedly better than him recently?

If 1 game didn’t matter or a string of a couple games than he wouldn’t have been taken off the 2nd pair with Miller.