• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers-Hurricanes — Round Two General Series Thread

How many games for the Rangers to win?  

46 members have voted

1. 1. Well?

Posted (edited)
43 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

https://theathletic.com/5467049/2024/05/03/2024-nhl-playoff-preview-new-york-rangers-vs-carolina-hurricanes

Dom’s model has it at 66-34 odds in favor of the Canes. That’s the biggest gap I’ve seen. I don’t think that’s crediting the goalie difference enough

I believe the media perception of the matchup is extremely flawed.

It does not give the Rangers any credit for the changes in the team over the last few months and frankly the Hurricanes are little bitches and likely to hate the Rempinator anyway.

My perception of the matchup is that it rides on the Bread Line and I think those guys are going to come out shooting this round.

Just adding: if these were the Rangers playing Wheeler, Bonino and Pitlick the perception would be accurate.  Those guys aren't around any more and the guys who replaced them matchup much better against the 'Canes speed and hustle.

Edited by Br4d
  • Bullseye 1

27 minutes ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

Let's also remember, Guentzel doesn't have Crosby next to him like he did all those other times he killed the Rangers.  

I was talking about the Crosby aspect at the deadline but he has 29 points in 22 games with the Canes

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

Let's also remember, Guentzel doesn't have Crosby next to him like he did all those other times he killed the Rangers.  

I was thinking this too, and especially at the deadline I questioned what his impact would be away from Crosby. 25 points in 17 games for the Canes has probably disspelled any notion he was just riding coattails. Unfortunately he has fit the Canes like a glove and gotta respect what he’s done for them.

The Guentzel-Aho line is excellent, and I think the Rangers should be hoping to get the KZ line out there for them as much as possible. They are really good at playing even or a little better, and canceling out the Canes’ top line should be a top priority. KZ line is also plenty talented enough to make them pay if they are overaggressive and make a mistake. I think the Panarin or Goodrow lines would be a death sentence matchup wise, probably resulting in the puck being in their own end for full shifts. Cuylle-Wennberg-Kakko would probably find a way to hang on. That’d be a major win if that line could play a contain/shutdown role against their top line. The Canes will probably counter with the Staal line against Panarin. That’s probably going to roughly cancel out. Home ice / last change is a nice advantage to have. The Panarin line will need to get some favorable matchups.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Vodka Drunkenski said:

I was talking about the Crosby aspect at the deadline but he has 29 points in 22 games with the Canes

12 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

I was thinking this too, and especially at the deadline I questioned what his impact would be away from Crosby. 25 points in 17 games for the Canes has probably disspelled any notion he was just riding coattails. Unfortunately he has fit the Canes like a glove and gotta respect what he’s done for them.

The Guentzel-Aho line is excellent, and I think the Rangers should be hoping to get the KZ line out there for them as much as possible. They are really good at playing even or a little better, and canceling out the Canes’ top line should be a top priority. KZ line is also plenty talented enough to make them pay if they are overaggressive and make a mistake. I think the Panarin or Goodrow lines would be a death sentence matchup wise, probably resulting in the puck being in their own end for full shifts. Cuylle-Wennberg-Kakko would probably find a way to hang on. That’d be a major win if that line could play a contain/shutdown role against their top line. The Canes will probably counter with the Staal line against Panarin. That’s probably going to roughly cancel out. Home ice / last change is a nice advantage to have. The Panarin line will need to get some favorable matchups.

But none of those games were played against the Rangers 
Think About It GIF by Identity

• Applause 1

1 hour ago, Br4d said:

I believe the media perception of the matchup is extremely flawed.

It does not give the Rangers any credit for the changes in the team over the last few months and frankly the Hurricanes are little bitches and likely to hate the Rempinator anyway.

My perception of the matchup is that it rides on the Bread Line and I think those guys are going to come out shooting this round.

Just adding: if these were the Rangers playing Wheeler, Bonino and Pitlick the perception would be accurate.  Those guys aren't around any more and the guys who replaced them matchup much better against the 'Canes speed and hustle.

I don’t really agree. Even with a slightly better outlook 5v5 since the deadline, the Rangers are still completely outclassed analytically here. Models that favor 5v5 as much as Dom’s does are going to reflect that.

12 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

I don’t really agree. Even with a slightly better outlook 5v5 since the deadline, the Rangers are still completely outclassed analytically here. Models that favor 5v5 as much as Dom’s does are going to reflect that.

Glad the Rangers aren't putting analytics on the ice in this case lol

• Bullseye 1

1 hour ago, Br4d said:

I think Rempe is going to be in the lineup as long as he is available.

Laviolette is used to having a pounder in the playoffs.  Call it Tom Wilson Syndrome.   Laviolette won a cup with it a few years ago.

Lavy wasn’t the Caps coach when they won the Cup.

Lavy won his Cup in 2005-2006 with Carolina. 
Tom Wilson was 12. 

• LOL 1

2 minutes ago, RangersIn7 said:

Lavy wasn’t the Caps coach when they won the Cup.

Lavy won his Cup in 2005-2006 with Carolina. 
Tom Wilson was 12. 

But he was big even back then.

I rest my case.  🙂

• LOL 1
  • LMFAO 1

The Hurricanes are literally en route to NYC for a playoff series that starts in just over 24 hours. We STILL don’t have a schedule for this series.

This is lazy, pathetic and just utterly ridiculous on the NHL’s part. 

• Keeps it 100 1

14 minutes ago, Zuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuc said:

Don't know yet, but it looks like he will.

I like it. Go with what got you the wins in round 1. We won’t out skate Carolina be we sure as shit can out hit them. 

3 minutes ago, CanesFanRandy said:

Have changed my line of thinking here. Canes handle this series pretty easily dealing the Rangers a pretty big setback. You are still a couple years away. This is our year! Canes in 6

You by game 3 when the Canes just can’t score on Igor again

Spring Break What GIF by South Park

• LOL 1

38 minutes ago, Zuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuc said:

Don't know yet, but it looks like he will.

Good. I don't buy into the "we need to adjust to be more skilled" fire vs fire narrative. If we can hammer their D(Angelo) why give up that advantage.

16 minutes ago, CanesFanRandy said:

Have changed my line of thinking here. Canes handle this series pretty easily dealing the Rangers a pretty big setback. You are still a couple years away. This is our year! Canes in 6

Oh shit, really? Guess I'll skip it then. 

25 minutes ago, CanesFanRandy said:

All 7 of the canes fans must be so hyped right now 

• LOL 1
  • LMFAO 2

49 minutes ago, siddious said:

All 7 of the canes fans must be so hyped right now 

No. They’re googling as much about hockey as they possibly could so it could seem like they’re not hopping on the bandwagon just for the playoffs.

Either that, or crying about having to have PNC overrun with Ranger fans.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, RichieNextel305 said:

No. They’re googling as much about hockey as they possibly could so it could seem like they’re not hopping on the bandwagon just for the playoffs.

Either that, or crying about having to have PNC overrun with Ranger fans.

They’re not selling to anyone outside of the Carolina’s. Imagine if MSG did that lol

43 minutes ago, siddious said:

They’re not selling to anyone outside of the Carolina’s. Imagine if MSG did that lol

Don’t worry. The 10’s of thousands of you that are already here will be free to gobble them up. 

• Like 1