• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers-Hurricanes — Round Two General Series Thread

How many games for the Rangers to win?  

46 members have voted

1. 1. Well?

Rempe will definitely be back for next series, probably game five for this series too if it goes that far. Sitting him away to Carolina for chytil though is 100% the right choice.

• Believe 1

Posted (edited)

We all love Valley, but I’m sorry I find this incredibly unlikely to be accurate based on what I’ve seen to this point.

CSA ES

11.21 to 5.27 xGF in favor of Canes

23 to 12 HDCF, Canes

NST ES

8.45 to 6.97 xGF, Canes

33-30 HDCF, Canes

Valley went on and blasted ESPN and all of the non-ESPN statistical analysts who contributed to the article with their data models, and they all said the same thing that the Rangers were average to below average at 5v5 expected goals while Valley said the Rangers were 9th at CSA.

Now NST is saying it’s pretty damn close, which is what I’ve seen watching these games, and CSA is saying the Rangers are getting walked on the ice and this is basically just Shesterkin stealing games.

Again, love Valley but I have serious doubts about the accuracy of CSA at this juncture.

Edited by BrooksBurner

15 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

We all love Valley, but I’m sorry I find this incredibly unlikely to be accurate based on what I’ve seen to this point.

CSA ES

23 to 12 HDCF, Canes

NST ES

8.45 to 6.97 xGF, Canes

33-30 HDCF, Canes

Valley went on and blasted ESPN and all of the non-ESPN statistical analysts who contributed to the article with their data models, and they all said the same thing that the Rangers were average to below average at 5v5 expected goals while Valley said the Rangers were 9th at CSA.

Now NST is saying it’s pretty damn close, which is what I’ve seen watching these games, and CSA is saying the Rangers are getting walked on the ice and this is basically just Shesterkin stealing games.

Again, love Valley but I have serious doubts about the accuracy of CSA at this juncture.

Few months ago after watching a game where the rangers were dominated most of the game, I was told by some “experts” on here that the analytics showed that the rangers were even in chances for/against and all that BS against their oppositing team that night.  From that point on i stopped watching the games and just follow the analytics. 

• LOL 1

Igor, specials and rope-a-dope is what has the Rangers dominant in the series so far.

By rope-a-dope I mean the Rangers have been content to let Carolina fire away from the perimeter and bad angles.  As long as Igor sees the shot he is going to stop it.

You can throw the analytics out the window on this series because Igor turns high-danger chances into saves routinely.

13 minutes ago, Br4d said:

Igor, specials and rope-a-dope is what has the Rangers dominant in the series so far.

By rope-a-dope I mean the Rangers have been content to let Carolina fire away from the perimeter and bad angles.  As long as Igor sees the shot he is going to stop it.

You can throw the analytics out the window on this series because Igor turns high-danger chances into saves routinely.

Is it rope a dope if the high danger is as big a gap as CSA says it is? I don’t trust CSA, very strange. NST has 5v5/ES close, a little in favor for Canes, EvolvingHockey has it a little in favor of the Rangers.

This has been a close matchup by all accounts….except CSA.

On 5/10/2024 at 10:15 AM, Albatrosss said:

At this point i don’t think anyone will make anything out of Kakko. There’s nothing there, not even one semi chance. 

Sorry Albatross, I'm jus not ready to give up on KK.   Yes, a lot of mistakes, misses and penalties since he's been back.  But man, he's so strong on the stick and truly a gifted skater.    At 23, in the greatest city in the world, it may be a whirlwind for him in this foreign land.   Just a year ago, he got healthy and was making strides (18/22) and like the team, they were navigating through post-COVID regiments, injuries and a coaching change.

Peca (and Housley adjace) will mold him.  Kris Knoblauch always had high hopes for him.    I see a comfort level with Fil back and Wennberg is a great mentor.   Were we frustrated with Laffy?   Have faith my man, KK will surface soon.   This third line will make some noise, starting today ! 

LGR

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BrooksBurner said:

Is it rope a dope if the high danger is as big a gap as CSA says it is? I don’t trust CSA, very strange. NST has 5v5/ES close, a little in favor for Canes, EvolvingHockey has it a little in favor of the Rangers.

Yeah. That kind of flips the script from where the were a month ago. 

1 hour ago, BrooksBurner said:

I don't buy the CSA numbers.  They have to be including chances from the slot where the guy is actually covered and has no good shot but takes it anyway. The location is high danger but the shot is not.

7 minutes ago, RodrigueGabriel said:

Despite the optimism of the title of the attached article and others, I don't get the sense that RBD and the rest of the team have much of any idea how to solve the Rangers at this point.

https://www.nhl.com/news/carolina-hurricanes-remain-confident-on-verge-of-playoff-elimination

They can't solve Igor and having the power play go into a conservative mode to prevent the short handed chances is probably not what they want to be doing.

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, BrooksBurner said:

CSA ES

23 to 12 HDCF, Canes

NST ES

8.45 to 6.97 xGF, Canes

33-30 HDCF, Canes

I will always trust the trained human eye over an algorithm that scrapes web data, which is what NST and EH do. That's why their numbers are so different, it's a slightly different algorithm working with the same data set. CSA's data set is generated by humans. 

Carolina has gotten a ton of beautiful chances in G2 and G3 that they just can't score on. The Rangers certainly have not had as many. But that's the whole point, right? They don't need as many. 

Edited by Pete

We all play with that guy in pickup or beer league who gets a million high danger chances and can’t score, the hurricanes are a while team of those guys. Sure, at some point it will open up for a game or two, but as we saw a couple years ago the skill just isn’t there so if you don’t beat yourself they are not beating you. So far that’s exactly what has happened again 

• Keeps it 100 1

9 minutes ago, RJWantsTheCup said:

That’s his second swing and miss this series.  1 more and he’s out?

Dunno.

He was going for a shoulder to shoulder, but when he realized it was mis-timed, He stuck his elbow out. You can't do that. 

4 minutes ago, Pete said:

Dunno.

He was going for a shoulder to shoulder, but when he realized it was mis-timed, He stuck his elbow out. You can't do that. 

Actually, its bad he didn't connect with Kuznetov's head with that flailing elbow, just missed it by a microsecond. If he had, DoPS would probably have him sitting for a game or two and at least we'd see Jones back in the lineup. 

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Pete said:

Terrible caption. Obviously when you miss a guy the momentum of your arm is going to continue.

with that said trouba has been a giant face palm this entire playoffs snd it’s Not even close 

• Keeps it 100 1

1 minute ago, siddious said:

Terrible caption. Obviously when you miss a guy the momentum of your arm is going to continue.

with that said trouba has been a giant face palm this entire playoffs snd it’s Not even close 

Yeah, the tweet is dumb. 

But if that elbow connects it's still a sussy.

4 minutes ago, Pete said:

Yeah, the tweet is dumb. 

But if that elbow connects it's still a sussy.

If the elbow connects then yes. Obviously if he’s closer I don’t think the elbow goes up once his arm makes contact with his body was my point. 

I think trouba is just too slow for the canes 

• Keeps it 100 1

Trouba constantly backs up when  someone is skating in the zone rather than attacking. Gives the guy 15 to 20 extra feet to get the shot off. Replace him and Gust with Jones and Skjei. (Yes, I know 2 more lefties there)

17 minutes ago, Mdk154 said:

Trouba constantly backs up when  someone is skating in the zone rather than attacking. Gives the guy 15 to 20 extra feet to get the shot off. Replace him and Gust with Jones and Skjei. (Yes, I know 2 more lefties there)

Skjei doesn't play for us anymore

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, VegasRanger said:

Skjei doesn't play for us anymore

Skjei is a free agent this summer, I'm guessing that's what the comment was about. 

Unfortunately there's really no way to get rid of Trouba. 

Edited by Pete