• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers-Hurricanes — Round Two General Series Thread

How many games for the Rangers to win?  

46 members have voted

1. 1. Well?

This series potentially starts in 48-52 hours and we still don’t have an official start time or a list of what the schedule is for the series.

Just an awful job on the NHLs part.

The Knicks series ended and before they even left the court their schedule for the Pacers series was at least partially released.

27 minutes ago, Ranger Lothbrok said:

Athletic's model has it as 66% Canes, 34% us. I know they're the analytics darlings of the league, I know they added Guentzel, I know they got a chip on their shoulder and something to prove, but like....really? We won the President's Trophy. We won the regular season series against them. The goaltending matchup, on paper at least, is heavily lopsided. 

Many people are picking this to go to 7 games. That would scream 51% to 49% to me, if anything.

Edit: also, not for nothing, but weren't they heavy favorites in 2022 as well before they got #Igor'd?

I can't quibble too much with it. As we know, the Rangers statistical profile isn't that great, and that's what this is all based on. In the end, it doesn't matter that much anyway. 66-34, 60-40, 55-45. It's all in the same ballpark. 

3 minutes ago, Kick save and a beauty said:

A president's trophy heavy underdog coming off a first round sweep is kinda strange TBH

The Rangers are not getting credit for the changes this season because so many other things seem the same.

As soon as Panarin and Laf break out they'll start getting credit for that line + Igor + power play.  Right now it's just Igor and power play.  By breakout I mean score goals at 5v5 the way they were in the regular season.

1 hour ago, Br4d said:

The Rangers are not getting credit for the changes this season because so many other things seem the same.

As soon as Panarin and Laf break out they'll start getting credit for that line + Igor + power play.  Right now it's just Igor and power play.  By breakout I mean score goals at 5v5 the way they were in the regular season.

See the bolded text.   TBH I think there is more of an agenda going on here.  Analysts as a species missed out on the improvement and potential of this NY Rangers team and they have spent the entire year hunting desperately for reasons why they were not actually wrong in the first place.

As a result we have seen a year-long Kabuki theatre playing out while they twist themselves into logical pretzels in order come up with supporting arguments for just that position.  i.e. "Why I was not really wrong and why the NY Rangers really suck after all"

Carolina is the end of the road for all of that nonsense.  If we lose, well then they must have been right all along and if we win then the world is a different place and they will be left scrambling for reasons why.  After all they need to justify why they should even remain employed.  Laf made a huge improvement and so did Panarin.  Or maybe players like Cuylle and Schneider were able to contribute far more than expected or maybe even that Igor is back to being Igor.  The only problem is that all of these things have been visible for all or almost the entire season for anyone who cares to look with an open mind.

3 minutes ago, RJWantsTheCup said:

I believe they are waiting to see if and what game 7's there will be to play on Sunday before determining start times.  

The way this is shaking out simply has to be better. This is just absurd.

• Keeps it 100 1

7 minutes ago, RJWantsTheCup said:

I believe they are waiting to see if and what game 7's there will be to play on Sunday before determining start times.  

The only Game 7's would be in the Western Conference in Dallas and Vancouver. Rangers play at 7, Dallas at 8, Vancouver at 10:30. There, I did it for you, NHL. 

24 minutes ago, Morphinity 2.0 said:

The only Game 7's would be in the Western Conference in Dallas and Vancouver. Rangers play at 7, Dallas at 8, Vancouver at 10:30. There, I did it for you, NHL. 

NHL / TV will not want 2 Game 7s played at the same time.  They want to try and maximize viewership.

Plus if both Western Conference series end tonight, they have more options for when ESPN/ABC/or TNT would want the time of the Rangers game to be played. 

If 1 Western Conference team plays a Game 7, it would probably alter the time they want to play the Rangers game, do they want the game the Rangers game at 3 then lead into Vancouver or Vegas at 8:00?  Do they want Rangers at 1:00 and lead into Western Conference Game 7 at 5:00?  

Just now, knedragon said:

So if the other series go to game 7 sunday do they open the 2nd round series monday night?

No, Rangers are playing Sunday.

Florida is opening Monday.  That is all we know.  

17 minutes ago, Kick save and a beauty said:

Does the NBA have first dibs on MSG scheduling or is there some other formula?

NBA has nothing to do with this round scheduling since they already announced Games 1-4 for the Knicks.  Rangers Sunday, Knicks Monday, most likely Rangers Tuesday, Knicks Wednesday 

11 minutes ago, Zuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuc said:

With this start time it looks like the NHL contingency plan if their are 2 game 7s is that Vegas/Dallas would probably be 7:00, 7:30 or 8:00, Vancouver would be 10:00 or 10:30.

1 hour ago, Kick save and a beauty said:

See the bolded text.   TBH I think there is more of an agenda going on here.  Analysts as a species missed out on the improvement and potential of this NY Rangers team and they have spent the entire year hunting desperately for reasons why they were not actually wrong in the first place.

As a result we have seen a year-long Kabuki theatre playing out while they twist themselves into logical pretzels in order come up with supporting arguments for just that position.  i.e. "Why I was not really wrong and why the NY Rangers really suck after all"

Carolina is the end of the road for all of that nonsense.  If we lose, well then they must have been right all along and if we win then the world is a different place and they will be left scrambling for reasons why.  After all they need to justify why they should even remain employed.  Laf made a huge improvement and so did Panarin.  Or maybe players like Cuylle and Schneider were able to contribute far more than expected or maybe even that Igor is back to being Igor.  The only problem is that all of these things have been visible for all or almost the entire season for anyone who cares to look with an open mind.

The difference between the last two seasons and this season is a transformed Artemi Panarin.  Off of that we got Star Vincent Trocheck and Star-in-waiting Alexis Lafreniere.

Obviously it's not all about that but it is mostly about that.

So basically the analysts are waiting to see the Breadman rise in the playoffs before they give the Rangers anything like full credit.

A Panarin hat trick early in the Hurricanes series would completely change the conversation.  A Lafreniere hat trick would also but Panarin is going to have deep fingerprints on that if it happens.

Funny enough, a dude on another board told me that exact time 10 hours ago, apparently the site he uses to check results already had it.

He's also german and only uses german sites.  Guess someone must have told them already, why not announce it then? Who knows.