• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

One-on-one With Artemi Panarin

“I feel good about it, but there’s an important time in front of us,” Panarin said following the last practice of the regular season on Friday. “I kind of have to forget about the regular season. I’m just trying to be ready for the playoffs and the emotions (that come with it).”

It's no secret that the postseason been an emotional roller coaster in recent years.

One of the Rangers’ most upbeat personalities was beaten down by last year’s bitter first-round exit, telling reporters at breakup day, “I feel empty right now.” That sting was worsened by Panarin going without a point in each of the final six games against the New Jersey Devils, causing the chorus of doubters to reach a fever pitch.

He remains one of the NHL's best playmakers, with his combination of vision, creativity and passing skills ranking among the league's elite for years. But that dynamic skill set led him to defer too much at times.

The biggest difference this season has been Panarin's aggressive nose for the net. The result was 49 goals, which ranked fifth in the NHL entering play Tuesday and blew past his previous career high of 32. Those tallies came off a career-high 302 shots on goal (his previous high was 228) and a 16.2% shooting percentage that also registered as the best he's ever posted.

That's been an obvious adjustment, but Panarin says the increased shot volume starts with his feet.

One of the knocks against the 6-foot, 175-pounder in the past was that he became too much of an east-west, perimeter player. But this season, he's created "more space" by staying in motion and working "closer to the net."

"More lanes, more time, more open ice," he said. "I’m getting open more."

There's a lot to unpack under the surface when Panarin mentions the atmosphere surrounding the team.

He's offered plenty of hints throughout various conversations this season, but holds back from saying exactly what's on his mind.

"I can’t say why," he said. "I have my vision, but if I say it, it wouldn’t sound great. I’ll keep it that way."

The inference points to the change from previous coach Gerard Gallant, who privately and publicly lamented Panarin's penchant for risky passes that lead to turnovers, to Laviolette.

The previous player-coach relationship deteriorated, with Panarin feeling confined by demands that he play a simpler, straight-ahead style. It created indecision and took away the improvisation that makes him special. During the 2022 playoffs, he memorably told reporters, "I would love to do some stupid (stuff) on the blue line, but I can't."

The bond between Panarin, Trocheck and Lafrenière has been another source of comfort and stability.

That trio has been married all season while becoming the highest-scoring line in hockey. The Rangers scored 54 goals with that line on the ice at five-on-five this season, according to moneypuck.com, while no other NHL line has produced more than 46. It's no coincidence that all three achieved new career highs in points.

Their chemistry has carried over away from the ice, as well, with the growing Panarin and Trocheck families spending time together on off days, while both veterans have served as constant sources of encouragement and input for the younger Lafrenière.

Until Panarin proves he can operate in that type of tight-checking, pressure-packed environment, the questions about his ability to lead the Rangers to a title will linger. In five seasons with New York, the difference between his regular-season points average per game (1.32) and playoffs (0.67) is stark.

From this vantage point, he seems better prepared for the postseason grind than any previous time, but he's understandably reluctant to make proclamations about it. That's because he knows talking about his renewed confidence and improved headspace won't mean a thing once the puck drops for Game 1.

There's only one way for Panarin to exorcise his playoff demons, and it has nothing to do with his words.

"I can’t say anything right now," he said. "Like I said before the season, the ice shows everything."

https://www.lohud.com/story/sports/nhl/rangers/2024/04/17/artemi-panarin-ny-rangers-as-2024-nhl-playoffs-begin-stanley-cup/73340391007/

##

Nice little feature on Bread. 

I obviously highlighted the GG points for the "they don't listen to the coach!" crowd. He obviously was listening, and it rendered him indecisive and ineffective. A good coach doesn't try to change players, a good coach puts players in a position to lean into their strengths and succeed.

Regardless, a good read.

I remember watching the playoffs when he was in Columbus and remember thinking that he played good in the playoffs. I remember him having a big OT goal vs. Washington, producing against Boston, playing well against Tampa in the upset.

So he can play well in the playoffs. He has before. And if he keeps this mindset and attacks the playoffs the way he attacked the regular season, he will again in the playoffs. With his newfound quick trigger when it comes to unleashing his shot, he doesn’t need as much time or space to be dangerous.

• Keeps it 100 1

30 minutes ago, RichieNextel305 said:

I remember watching the playoffs when he was in Columbus and remember thinking that he played good in the playoffs. I remember him having a big OT goal vs. Washington, producing against Boston, playing well against Tampa in the upset.

So he can play well in the playoffs. He has before. And if he keeps this mindset and attacks the playoffs the way he attacked the regular season, he will again in the playoffs. With his newfound quick trigger when it comes to unleashing his shot, he doesn’t need as much time or space to be dangerous.

He doesn't even need to shoot to score. He just needs to get the shot through. The playoffs are about broken plays and greasy goals. 

• Bullseye 1

53 minutes ago, Pete said:

https://www.lohud.com/story/sports/nhl/rangers/2024/04/17/artemi-panarin-ny-rangers-as-2024-nhl-playoffs-begin-stanley-cup/73340391007/

##

I obviously highlighted the GG points for the "they don't listen to the coach!" crowd. He obviously was listening, and it rendered him indecisive and ineffective. A good coach doesn't try to change players, a good coach puts players in a position to lean into their strengths and succeed.

Regardless, a good read.

you're saying he became ineffective because GG told him not to fuck around in the playoffs?  That's a new BS excuse.  What made him ineffective is when games in the playoffs became tight checking and pressure was applied, his east to west passes did not succeed.  And he ran away from any kind of physical contact, often getting rid of the puck so he wont get hit.  Solely blaming a coach for Panarin's ineffectiveness in the playoffs is getting old

• Keeps it 100 2

35 minutes ago, Albatrosss said:

you're saying he became ineffective because GG told him not to fuck around in the playoffs?  That's a new BS excuse.  What made him ineffective is when games in the playoffs became tight checking and pressure was applied, his east to west passes did not succeed.  And he ran away from any kind of physical contact, often getting rid of the puck so he wont get hit.  Solely blaming a coach for Panarin's ineffectiveness in the playoffs is getting old

It's one reason, the biggest one.

I don't really care what you think is a BS excuse.

1 hour ago, Pete said:

##

Regardless, a good read.

Maybe Panarin should have been more north/south straight ahead the last couple of seasons.

If he was east/west like he was the prior two seasons there is zero chance we're the President's Trophy winner.

Just now, Br4d said:

Maybe Panarin should have been more north/south straight ahead the last couple of seasons.

If he was east/west like he was the prior two seasons there is zero chance we're the President's Trophy winner.

No doubt. But there was a way to focus him on doing that without stifling his creativity, a less dumbed down way than GG went about it. 

4 minutes ago, Pete said:

No doubt. But there was a way to focus him on doing that without stifling his creativity, a less dumbed down way than GG went about it. 

"The players just need to do what they're supposed to do.  They know what it is."  Left unsaid, "but they're not doing it."

This didn't make a lot of sense to me at the time, since it sounded like he wanted more physicality, fore and back checking.  However if what he wanted was Artemi Panarin, Mika Zibanejad and Adam Fox to take more shots and cycle less, well that makes all the sense in the world.

Edited by Br4d

If either of the Bread Line or the Bros Line is off we're going home early.  They both need to be bringing their top game to get around the Caps.

Why?

Because the Caps are a clog it up defensive team and if the top two lines aren't bringing it every game is going to be a struggle to score against them.

36 minutes ago, Br4d said:

If either of the Bread Line or the Bros Line is off we're going home early.  They both need to be bringing their top game to get around the Caps.

Why?

Because the Caps are a clog it up defensive team and if the top two lines aren't bringing it every game is going to be a struggle to score against them.

12 minutes ago, Pete said:

Every team needs their best players to perform in order to move through the playoffs. This is not specific to the Rangers. 

Every team in the NHL, no matter how deep or talented, is heavily driven by the play they get from their top 4 or 5 forwards, top couple of D, and their starting goalie.

If those guys struggle, you get beat.

That is every team. 

1 hour ago, RangersIn7 said:

Every team in the NHL, no matter how deep or talented, is heavily driven by the play they get from their top 4 or 5 forwards, top couple of D, and their starting goalie.

If those guys struggle, you get beat.

That is every team. 

I totally get that.  I bring it up in the current context only because last year we didn't get the production at 5v5 against the Devils and we went home as a result.

This team has a much larger concern about their top players disappearing. I don’t trust Panarin at all, and he’ll be gripping his stick tighter more than ever.

I don’t think it’ll be a big issue against the Capitals, but for any team they would face after this round, I would expect Panarin to be on a milk carton again.

Edited by BrooksBurner

22 minutes ago, Br4d said:

I totally get that.  I bring it up in the current context only because last year we didn't get the production at 5v5 against the Devils and we went home as a result.

That was one issue of many with the Devils.

Almost the entire roster played awful hockey.

3 hours ago, RangersIn7 said:

That was one issue of many with the Devils.

Almost the entire roster played awful hockey.

Do you really think that was coaching, given how the Rangers had played during the regular season?

I think it was 4 or 5 key players not playing well and the Rangers having no chance to win as a result.

23 minutes ago, Br4d said:

Do you really think that was coaching, given how the Rangers had played during the regular season?

I think it was 4 or 5 key players not playing well and the Rangers having no chance to win as a result.

Yes, and the reason they didn't play well was... Lack of coaching. 

Look, if coaching wasn't important these guys wouldn't be making upwards of 5 million a year. They're not glorified cheerleaders out there, there needs to be a plan and an approach. 

There are obvious differences this season to last. Everybody sees it. The only folks who don't are the ones who have their faces buried in spreadsheets. 

25 minutes ago, Br4d said:

I think you can go back and rewatch that series and you’ll see a team that needed to make adjustments and adjustments never got made. 

Do I also agree that a number of key guys played arguably their worst hockey at that time?

Yes.

Is that on the coaches?

No.

Is the lack of adjustment on the coaches?

Entirely. 

Both are true.

Two things can be true about the same thing at the same time. 

How do you adjust to your best players taking the series off?

Do you really think that suddenly making changes to the Rangers plays and play pattern would have done anything when the same guys who starred during the regular season for the Rangers went missing?

I think you can make an argument that the Rangers weren't playing all that well despite their record.  They lost the season series to the Devils and then they lost a playoff series to the Devils and they did this based on the talent on the team and how they showed during those games.