• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Mint Mobile- Budget Cell Carriers

jsm7302

5 minutes ago, jsm7302 said:

I'm looking to save some money from my cellphone bill which seems to be out of hand. Anyone use Mint Mobile or Consumer Cellular?

If you're alone on your plan (or if you're on a family plan where data is irrelevant to you), take a good look at Google Fi. I pay $50/month for unlimited calling and data, but there's a shorter plan that's $20/month +$10 per GB that I used before they dropped the price of the unlimited plan. I think they piggyback the Verizon and TMobile networks.

I used to use Mint Mobile, maybe about 6 or 7 years ago. The price can't be beat, but I found the cell service to be sub-par. I'd often have people tell me they tried to call me and the call wouldn't go through or text me and I never would receive the text. One time I didn't get an important call, and I immediately unsubscribed. This is when I was living in NYC, so I wasn't out in the boonies. Maybe it's better now, but I can't trust them.

Right now, I'm on Google Fi and I have been since I dropped Mint. Google Fi is totally fine for me - I don't use much data so my phone bill is rarely higher than $35/month. I don't have any issues with anyone being able to reach me.

I would say go for it and give it a shot for a month or two. A nice thing about these MVNOs is they have little to no contract obligations, so you can hop around to find what works best for you.

1 minute ago, LindG1000 said:

If you're alone on your plan (or if you're on a family plan where data is irrelevant to you), take a good look at Google Fi. I pay $50/month for unlimited calling and data, but there's a shorter plan that's $20/month +$10 per GB that I used before they dropped the price of the unlimited plan. I think they piggyback the Verizon and TMobile networks.

Google Fi is T-Mobile only. 

8 minutes ago, Morphinity 2.0 said:

I used to use Mint Mobile, maybe about 6 or 7 years ago. The price can't be beat, but I found the cell service to be sub-par. I'd often have people tell me they tried to call me and the call wouldn't go through or text me and I never would receive the text. One time I didn't get an important call, and I immediately unsubscribed. This is when I was living in NYC, so I wasn't out in the boonies. Maybe it's better now, but I can't trust them.

Right now, I'm on Google Fi and I have been since I dropped Mint. Google Fi is totally fine for me - I don't use much data so my phone bill is rarely higher than $35/month. I don't have any issues with anyone being able to reach me.

I would say go for it and give it a shot for a month or two. A nice thing about these MVNOs is they have little to no contract obligations, so you can hop around to find what works best for you.

Can you keep your number?