• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

It's Time to Talk About Jacob Trouba

I couldn’t keep ranting in the GDT about this. And this definitely deserves its own thread at this point.

If he continues to play the way he is playing, Jacob Trouba should not be in the lineup come playoffs. Sorry. Period. End of story.

Now, if only it were that cut and dry…

We all know, myself included, this is very unlikely to happen. He wears the C. He’s a leader in the room. When he’s going, he brings value. And clearly he knows he isn’t playing up to snuff right now. In fact, not only is he not playing up to snuff, he is quite frankly playing like someone that just learned how to play hockey 37 fucking minutes ago.

He can’t skate. He is taking himself out of position to try and be physical. He can’t stick handle. He looks like he’s steering a fucking gondola when he has the puck on his stick. He is a turnover machine. Everytime he and Miller hit the ice, we either end up pinned in our own end, a goal is scored or a penalty is taken. And quite frankly, when you have someone like Jones who brings wheels and played extremely well during his stretch of games when Trouba was out, you can’t sit on your hands forever. 

Again, I know the chances of him being sat is slim to none come playoffs. But maybe until then, somewhat like we did with Igor, you give him off until then to get his mind right and work on things while also keeping Jones fresh?

I don’t know the answer. At the very least, you CANNOT trust this pair with a heavy assignment come playoffs. You just can’t. 

I’m not sure what the answer is here. But this discussion definitely needs to be had. We all have eyes and we know what we’re seeing. This guy cares but he is playing absolutely horrible and we have guys waiting in the wings, one of whom right now is definitely a better option than him in Jones.

Just something to discuss.

Edited by RichieNextel305

5 minutes ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

If the Kings can strip Dustin Brown of the C due to giving him a smaller role within the team, surely Trouba could be stripped and given a reduced role.  He's done fuck all for this franchise compared to what Brown did for LA.

I’m not even looking for that.

I’m just saying that should this play continue into the playoff, Laviolette is going to be forced to sit him, I’d imagine. That would be a tough call too.

Jones over Gus should go without saying at this point. 

Trouba at his peak for Rangers was never anything more than an average defender. Skjei and now Miller play better away from him. 

He'd be fine as a third paring guy making 2 million bucks, but my god he's robbing this franchise. 

It was a joke when they named him captain. But, more importantly, he's looking like complete ass. I've never liked the guy anyway, but I don't see the team (especially Miller) playing their best when he wasn't in the lineup. I don't care if he's the captain, bench him. He stinks. You don't want this for the playoffs. He just looks like he can't go.

His play has deteriorated at such a rapid rate. I never thought of him as a 1, and with Fox here, we haven’t needed him to be that much of the time here since he came from Winnipeg.

But like others have said, this team defensively was rolling when he wasn’t playing and he came back in and has really fucked things up.

I know the chances, for now, are super slim. I’m sure he will be in Game 1. But man, this needs to be a discussion. Because it can’t be said enough just how much he is hurting this team right now. Again, if it isn’t a goal every single shift, then it’s being pinned in for long stretches, or stupid passes that lead to icings or turnovers for no reason whatsoever, or a lazy penalty.

Just a joke.

1 minute ago, Sharpshooter said:

At least he has a second career going for when he gets bought out.

He's already stolen enough from the Rangers to pay for his kids to be born and never have to work a day in their lives. 

10 hours ago, siddious said:

Trouba just needs to be on the third pair. 

fox -Lindgren 

miller-schneider

trouba-gus 

honestly id take jones over gus at this point too. 

This is probably going to be the answer for the playoffs.  He can't be on the top pairing.  PERIOD.  Not if we actually wanna win some games.

When he was out, we really had a quick, mobile, fast puck moving D, that was very efficient in our own end and really didn't get pinned in too often during games.  Now it seems like every other shift, were lobbing shit blindly up the boards, giving it up at the blueline, having shitty d zone coverage.  I look and sure enough, number fucking 8 is on the ice.

He's killing K', I'm sorry.  I know a lot of you guys don't like Miller, but seriously...when Trouba was out, I thought K' played his best hockey of the season.

I think Pete has this one nailed with those pairings I quoted above.  I'd rather Jones too at this point.  He's earned that shit.  Gus isn't horrible.  I just rather Zac in there now.

If they are going to play the 6 D  who are playing the best right now.  Trouba is out and Jones is in but Lavi doesn’t have the balls to do it.  The playoffs should be who’s playing best.  Something is wrong with Trouba’s game right now.  Not sure if he’s playing hurt or if it’s rust but you can tell he’s not right.  Part of it seems to be mental.  He makes plays that a player of his experience should never make.  

13 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

This is probably going to be the answer for the playoffs.  He can't be on the top pairing.  PERIOD.  Not if we actually wanna win some games.

When he was out, we really had a quick, mobile, fast puck moving D, that was very efficient in our own end and really didn't get pinned in too often during games.  Now it seems like every other shift, were lobbing shit blindly up the boards, giving it up at the blueline, having shitty d zone coverage.  I look and sure enough, number fucking 8 is on the ice.

He's killing K', I'm sorry.  I know a lot of you guys don't like Miller, but seriously...when Trouba was out, I thought K' played his best hockey of the season.

I think Pete has this one nailed with those pairings I quoted above.  I'd rather Jones too at this point.  He's earned that shit.  Gus isn't horrible.  I just rather Zac in there now.

Vince mercogliano nailed it in his podcast though…

gus’ advanced numbers are apparently solid and he’s a laviolette guy with more NHL experience so I doubt this switch happens. 

It's just time for Trouba to be a third-pairing D. And I really wonder if the reason he isn't is that Gus-Schneider supports the forechecking pressure provided by the Wennberg unit so much better than Trouba's chucking.

He really needs to get to rights and simplify his game, fast, or we're going to be blown the fuck away on rushes against.

16 minutes ago, siddious said:

Vince mercogliano nailed it in his podcast though…

gus’ advanced numbers are apparently solid and he’s a laviolette guy with more NHL experience so I doubt this switch happens. 

Yeah, I doubt it too....Gus isn't terrible, and he was damn good when Foxy was out.  I can live with Gus.  I can't live with "Fumbles" the grenade chucker!  (Trouba)

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Jdog99 said:

we looked like an actual juggernaut while he was out...really f'd up

No they didn't. That was all Shesterkin.

Shesterkin has come back down to earth, .882 sv percentage last 4 games, and the Rangers have 0 5v5/ES goals in the last 2 games.

That's not to excuse Trouba. He's not been good since coming back, but the way the team looks, relying on goaltending and suffering from a lack of scoring chance generation at 5v5/ES is nothing new. This is simply just what it looks like when they can't capitalize on those few chances they get.

Edited by BrooksBurner

58 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

No they didn't. That was all Shesterkin.

Shesterkin has come back down to earth, .882 sv percentage last 4 games, and the Rangers have 0 5v5/ES goals in the last 2 games.

That's not to excuse Trouba. He's not been good since coming back, but the way the team looks, relying on goaltending and suffering from a lack of scoring chance generation at 5v5/ES is nothing new. This is simply just what it looks like when they can't capitalize on those few chances they get.

I'd wonder about chance quality here. A great goaltender probably saves 70% of high-danger chances, and I'd take a swing that HDCA has been meaningfully up in the last few games, particularly with Trouba on the ice.