• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

It's Time to Talk About Jacob Trouba

1 hour ago, LindG1000 said:

I'd wonder about chance quality here. A great goaltender probably saves 70% of high-danger chances, and I'd take a swing that HDCA has been meaningfully up in the last few games, particularly with Trouba on the ice. 

It's also all about role. Not all HDCA are equal, and Trouba plays against top players on the other teams. Play him against those lower in the lineup, where the matchup is more favorable for him, and if there is a HDCA is less likely to go in, IMO.

The team isn't choosing to "rely on goaltending", it's required when Lindgren, Trouba, and Gus (post injury) are out there.

Edited by Pete

1 hour ago, LindG1000 said:

I'd wonder about chance quality here. A great goaltender probably saves 70% of high-danger chances, and I'd take a swing that HDCA has been meaningfully up in the last few games, particularly with Trouba on the ice. 

I think his analytics since he's come back are the best they've been all season lol, but actual team production with him on ice at 5v5 is 2 GF vs 8 GA.

Given the obnoxiously small sample size of 7 games, there's no replacement for needing a supporting eye test here, because there's been goals against he has been directly responsible for happening. It doesn't matter how much the ice is tilted while you're out there, if you're making some of the egregious mistakes he is. Those will kill you in the playoffs, and obviously the most in OT periods.

There's been cases where he's been too aggressive, and I'm not sure where that's coming from. I forgot what game it was, but that one weird pinch up to the blue line when he was last man back and Cuylle was also being dumb dancing the blue line. Know your role pal (that goes for Cuylle too on that particular play)!

Edited by BrooksBurner

Saw some interesting stats from March 8th (Trouba’s injury) onwards. 

Trouba

xGF% 57.6%
PDO 88.3

Zac Jones

xGF% 48.3%
PDO 105.2

The poster also makes a good point that Trouba’s awful defending can’t entirely be responsible for a PDO 17 points lower and an .840 sv% from his goalies. Prior to injury, Trouba’s PDO was 99.5. 

Point is, the coaching staff likely sees the analytics regressing back to the mean in the future. They aren’t going to bench him. Even if the eye test stinks.