• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Zac Jones Is Thriving While Rangers Deal With Injuries to Ryan Lindgren, Jacob Trouba

"Now it's the confidence taking over," Jones said. "I know I can do it. I know I can play in this league – and I can thrive in this league. I can be an impact player."

It's one thing to say it, but doing is truly believing. And for much of this season, Jones has been forced to wonder and wait.

He was a healthy scratch 45 of the Rangers' first 62 games, which left a lot of time for doubts to fester and rust to accumulate.

All the while, the former NCAA champion with the University of Massachusetts kept his head down and never complained, drawing rave reviews from teammates and head coach Peter Laviolette for being a good solider. But Jones admits it's been a challenge.

"It's been a grind, to say the least," he said. "It’s been a lot of tough days, but you know what? I'm in the NHL. I’m in a good spot. I mean, we have a great team here. We've got a great staff, great guys in the locker room, so they did a really good job of just keeping me in the loop (and) keeping me engaged in the games. It's been a tough year, but it's been a big learning year, as well."

"I try to come in with a positive mindset," he said. "I’m the next man up. ... When the time comes, I have to be ready to play and help this team, no matter when or where it is."

https://www.lohud.com/story/sports/nhl/rangers/2024/03/19/zac-jones-is-thriving-while-rangers-deal-with-injuries-on-defense/73027335007/

• Applause 1

Like Friedge said on 32 Thoughts this week, he's the victim of a numbers game. His play is certainly warranting him getting a solidified spot next season - whether it's with this team or another one. I think he has a more lot to offer offensively, but he'll never get a chance to showcase that here. Any team who picks him up might be able to get a bargain PPQB.

As for now, he's learned to play to his role and make smart plays out there. His size will always be a bit of an issue as he's one of the smallest defensemen in the league, but he's learning to overcome that.

He just needs a chance. Glad he's walking the walk when he is given the opportunity.

His vision and ability to thread passesto the "good areas" as well as finding his own shot is really something he's always had. It's just the defensive aspect that was always in question and for good reason. He didn't do well out there the last 2 seasons when inserted into the lineup. He's been much better in this small sample size of consecutive games. 

Repetition is always something young players need.  Being in and out of the lineup just hasn't worked that well for him. With a string of games where he's not treated as a deficiency and glued to the bench, he's doing very well.  

I always wanted to see him play more and show off his offensive skills that are obviously there. 

Good on him for taking advantage of the opportunity. 

14 hours ago, siddious said:

I’ve advocated for a trade for a while .. there’s no room for him to thrive and he still has value. This is only helping I guess.

Eh…i dont think anyone wants him. We’ll see what happens, i guess

Not so coincidentally, Jones play and confidence has improved by simply just playing more. I thought his skill set was solid, he just needed to play more. I think he's someone who can take Gustaffson's role next season after he walks in free agency.

I want him.

He's going to be a decent replacement for Gus after this season, and he'll be still on his last year of that cheap deal.  I'm thinking great value as he's playing for a contract.

No, he wont. For his above average offensive abilities, he’s not great defensively, too small and gets pushed off the puck easily. The only reason he’s with the rangers is because he cant be sent to AHL without going through waivers 

1 hour ago, Albatrosss said:

No, he wont. For his above average offensive abilities, he’s not great defensively, too small and gets pushed off the puck easily. The only reason he’s with the rangers is because he cant be sent to AHL without going through waivers 

Gus isn't great defensively either though.  I really don't see them trading him, especially at the bargain price he is.  Lavvy even said in his presser something to the effect of him liking his progress and him liking his work ethic.  Said he's been "really good".

8 hours ago, Sharpshooter said:

Not so coincidentally, Jones play and confidence has improved by simply just playing more. I thought his skill set was solid, he just needed to play more. I think he's someone who can take Gustaffson's role next season after he walks in free agency.

8 hours ago, Ozzy said:

I want him.

He's going to be a decent replacement for Gus after this season, and he'll be still on his last year of that cheap deal.  I'm thinking great value as he's playing for a contract.

Not a terrible idea. I like the idea of someone bigger on that third pair but I guess I can live with him there 

• Cheers 1

7 hours ago, Ozzy said:

Gus isn't great defensively either though.  I really don't see them trading him, especially at the bargain price he is.  Lavvy even said in his presser something to the effect of him liking his progress and him liking his work ethic.  Said he's been "really good".

Here’s a scenario:  Lavi is asked about what he thinks of Zach Jones. What do you think Lavi’s answer will be?  

I'm pretty sure Lav has spoken highly of Jones in the past. I think, again, the main thing was just having him play more. Maybe now that he's played more, his opinion may change. lol Undersized, sure, but he certainly hasn't been terrible.

1 hour ago, Sharpshooter said:

I'm pretty sure Lav has spoken highly of Jones in the past. I think, again, the main thing was just having him play more. Maybe now that he's played more, his opinion may change. lol Undersized, sure, but he certainly hasn't been terrible.

Fox is undersized as well. 

Zac has shown me over the last few weeks that he's making progress, and has some pretty good skating ability, and skill.  Paired with the right partner back there, I think he could be a very inexpensive, yet solid, talented player next season on this roster.

• Believe 2