• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Interested in Top NCAA Free Agent Collin Graf

41 minutes ago, Pete said:

Different situation. There was a lack of opportunity there, Rangers were thin at C.

Now, Bruins need C and RW, especially if they let DeBrusk go.

No, I get that. The situations are never going to be perfectly analagous. I was just pointing out that just because he's from the area doesn't mean he's going to sign with his hometown team. Jimmy Vesey is also a Massachusetts kid.

10 minutes ago, Phil said:

No, I get that. The situations are never going to be perfectly analagous. I was just pointing out that just because he's from the area doesn't mean he's going to sign with his hometown team. Jimmy Vesey is also a Massachusetts kid.

I Don't really care if they get him.

He'll likely just follow along with Haggerty, Gilroy, and other busts they grabbed out of the NCAA, Vesey notwithstanding but it took him a while and trips to three other organizations to become a viable NHL player. 

Edited by Pete

Maybe/probably. Most UDFA go the route of Haggerty, not Vesey or Hayes, but it can't hurt to try.

All I'm saying is don't assume the worst simply because he didn't grow up rooting for the Rangers.

6 hours ago, Pete said:

I Don't really care if they get him.

He'll likely just follow along with Haggerty, Gilroy, and other busts they grabbed out of the NCAA, Vesey notwithstanding but it took him a while and trips to three other organizations to become a viable NHL player. 

In fairness to Vesey, he did have 16, 17, and 17 goals in his first 3 years in the league. I think he just over valued himself a bit and had a mushy middle before returning here. 

8 minutes ago, Keirik said:

In fairness to Vesey, he did have 16, 17, and 17 goals in his first 3 years in the league. I think he just over valued himself a bit and had a mushy middle before returning here. 

Guy went from winning the hobey baker and probably always being the best guy on any team he played on to being a ulitity player. 

theres an adjustment period for sure. I never thought he was bad here in the first place. Sometimes being good just means you get an invite to the show.. you gotta find your place.

i remember that clip of Sheldon Keefe giving him shit on the HBO 24/7 series or whatever it was called and honestly I think it goes a long way to explain why the leafs have never won anything worth mentioning. 

• Like 1
  • Applause 1

5 hours ago, Keirik said:

Despite averaging around 55% O-Zone starts and was always on the wrong side of shot share. 

Like I said, took him awhile to become a viable NHL player. It wasn't just Toronto that chucked him. He couldn't even hang with shit teams (at the time) like Buffalo and Vancouver, or NJ for that matter. 

Yeah, I think Vesey has become a nice story in his second go around here. He's kind of found his niche over the years, and now we know what to expect from him now that the Hobey Baker hype is long, long gone. He played well enough to get a nice bag for himself and another year on top of this one. Hopefully he's still good next season. lol

5 hours ago, Pete said:

Despite averaging around 55% O-Zone starts and was always on the wrong side of shot share. 

Like I said, took him awhile to become a viable NHL player. It wasn't just Toronto that chucked him. He couldn't even hang with shit teams (at the time) like Buffalo and Vancouver, or NJ for that matter. 

Not every NHLer is going to be outstanding on both sides of the puck. The point was, if you are able to score 15+ goals in this league for three straight years, you're a "viable NHLer" in my book. Vesey was on the team his first go around when the Rangers tore it down.  Hell, one of the 3 years ADA led the team in +/-. I don't take too much stock in that. 

like I said, started off as a decent NHLer straight from college, then had a rough middle before resurecti g his career here for round two. 

11 minutes ago, Keirik said:

Not every NHLer is going to be outstanding on both sides of the puck. The point was, if you are able to score 15+ goals in this league for three straight years, you're a "viable NHLer" in my book. Vesey was on the team his first go around when the Rangers tore it down.  Hell, one of the 3 years ADA led the team in +/-. I don't take too much stock in that. 

like I said, started off as a decent NHLer straight from college, then had a rough middle before resurecti g his career here for round two. 

I also said "Vesey notwithstanding" but you chose to focus on the fact that I said he bounced around a lot before finding an actual role. So I'm not sure what you're arguing. 

Point is these guys who are the top college UFAs aren't always Hayes. 

Edited by Pete

30 minutes ago, Pete said:

I also said "Vesey notwithstanding" but you chose to focus on the fact that I said he bounced around a lot before finding an actual role. So I'm not sure what you're arguing. 

Point is these guys who are the top college UFAs aren't always Hayes. 

I'm not focusing on anything except that you said it took him a while to become a viable NHLer. Not everything is an attack. I even said "in fairness" to lighten the mood and just pointed out that he did score 50 goals in his first 3 years. Iid say thats oretty viable in my opinion.

t's not a super serious thing. Just wanted to give Vesey a bit of credit for his early career. We all agree that the middle of his career was pretty crap. His first three years were pretty decent from an offensive output. 

5 minutes ago, Keirik said:

I'm not focusing on anything except that you said it took him a while to become a viable NHLer.

Yes, that's exactly what I just said.

I also said "Vesey notwithstanding" but you chose to focus on the fact that I said he bounced around a lot before finding an actual role.

21 minutes ago, Pete said:

Yes, that's exactly what I just said.

Well obviously I read "it took him a while to become a viable NHLer" differently. I figured 50 goals and 90 points in his first 3 season was pretty viable especially on a mostly rebuilding team. Not elite, not upper tier, but certainly earning a place as a regular NHLer. The middle of his career was a regression from that. Now is more of a return to that but on a better team and not being asked to do more than his ceiling was. 

• 2 weeks later...