• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Hurricanes Acquire Jake Guentzel (25%) and Ty Smith From Penguins for Michael Bunting, Ville Koivunen, Vasili Ponomarev, Cruz Lucius, a 1st Round Pick in 2024 (Conditional) and a 5th Round Pick in 2024 (Conditional)

Definitely a curveball, but important to remember that internal organizational metrics/evaluations likely differ greatly from *checks notes* Corey Pronman.

Interestingly, they didn't contact me to use my proprietary system in which I watch two shifts of a player and just tell them if he's good, or not. Maybe next time.

• LOL 2

Carolina traded the prospects who couldn't skate in their system.  I think it was a great deal for them as long as Guentzel is healthy.

The conditional 1st is likely just lottery protected.  I'm pretty sure the Pens are getting it.  It's probably the '25 pick.

Like Dunny said, there’s no real way in knowing how good these prospects are until waiting to see how they materialize over time. And the truth is we likely will never know what Drurys best offer was, as far as whether he budged and included Othmann or Kakko, and what else he was willing to include. But I doubt if he included one of those guys that he was willing to add as much quantity as Carolina added. So, at least from a POV of right now, I have to assume that he did budge on at least one of them or else we wouldn’t have heard the rumblings of a “strong offer” coming from the Rangers. I’m just stunned this got done without a guaranteed 1st Rounder.

Definite upgrade for Carolina to pick up Guentzel and lose Bunting.

https://www.espn.com/nhl/player/stats/_/id/3149603/michael-bunting

Bunting got a cup of coffee with Arizona in 2018-2019 (5 games) and slightly more time in 2020-2021 (21 games).

Toronto for 2 full seasons.

Carolina for 60 games.

Now on to Pittsburgh.

That's his fourth NHL team in 5 years.  He's an agitator that from my perception of rumblings may not be the best teammate, no source, just my perception and the fact he's bounced between so many teams.

• Phil changed the title to Hurricanes Acquire Jake Guentzel (25%) and Ty Smith From Penguins for Michael Bunting, Ville Koivunen, Vasili Ponomarev, Cruz Lucius, a 1st Round Pick in 2024 (Conditional) and a 5th Round Pick in 2024 (Conditional)