• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Hurricanes Acquire Jake Guentzel (25%) and Ty Smith From Penguins for Michael Bunting, Ville Koivunen, Vasili Ponomarev, Cruz Lucius, a 1st Round Pick in 2024 (Conditional) and a 5th Round Pick in 2024 (Conditional)

• RichieNextel305 changed the title to Hurricanes Acquire Jake Guentzel (25% Retention) and Ty Smith From Penguins for Michael Bunting, Ville Koivunen, Vasili Ponomarev, Cruz Lucius, a 1st Round Pick in 2024 (Conditional) and a 5th Round Pick in 2024 (Conditional)

Weird trade for PIttsburgh. I would consider Bunting a negative value with his contract and poor play this year. That's a contract Carolina most certainly wanted to get out of. On top of that, a combination of mid-prospects, and not even a 1st round pick (or at least a guaranteed one).

Pitts got hosed.

• Keeps it 100 2

2 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

I wish I could be happy about it but it's Carolina who benefitted. They'd steam roll us right now in a 7 game set, and the only chance that wouldn't happen is Igor Shesterkin. Sorry, that's just the truth.

Nah. You normally skew negative towards this team, so truth for you is different than most of us. 

I'm not at all confident that JG will produce outside of Pittsburgh. Add on top of that, I'm pretty sure he's going to resign there.

And I'm pretty sure Carolina doesn't get out of the second round anyway, regardless of if we play them at any point in the playoffs or not. 

2 minutes ago, Pete said:

Nah. You normally skew negative towards this team, so truth for you is different than most of us. 

I'm not at all confident that JG will produce outside of Pittsburgh. Add on top of that, I'm pretty sure he's going to resign there.

And I'm pretty sure Carolina doesn't get out of the second round anyway, regardless of if we play them at any point in the playoffs or not. 

"most of us"? We had to read you be a negative nancy for two years with Gallant, and I supported them taking a puncher's chance. Our sentiments swapped places, but only because you thought it was purely a coaching issue.

I think you're right to lack confidence in Guentzel. I do too. But I only lack confidence he's that 35-40 goal impact away from Crosby. I still think the odds are high he's that 25 goal type aggressive, pesky type player, which I think will fit right in with the Canes.

• LMFAO 1

13 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

"most of us"? We had to read you be a negative nancy for two years with Gallant, and I supported them taking a puncher's chance. Our sentiments swapped places, but only because you thought it was purely a coaching issue.

I think you're right to lack confidence in Guentzel. I do too. But I only lack confidence he's that 35-40 goal impact away from Crosby. I still think the odds are high he's that 25 goal type aggressive, pesky type player, which I think will fit right in with the Canes.

There's dozens of reasons I listed already about why this team is different than Gallants teams. I'm not gonna relist them. 

Point is this isn't the end of the world. One player doesn't make Carolina some type of powerhouse. 

Posted (edited)

Found a tweet containing the conditions of the picks. So basically, that “1st Rounder” is only a 1st if Carolina wins the East. Otherwise, it’s a 2nd. And they’ll only receive the 5th if they win the Cup.

So in return for Guentzel, they’re not even locked into a 1st. If they get eliminated before the Finals, they will have gotten Bunting, 3 “okay” prospects from what I’m reading and a 2nd?

Not a good job by Dubas IMO. At least not on the condition of that draft pick. How you don’t walk out with a sure fire #1 out of that is beyond me. Even if the pick is super late, it’s still the principle.

Edited by RichieNextel305

42 minutes ago, Pete said:

There's dozens of reasons I listed already about why this team is different than Gallants teams. I'm not gonna relist them. 

Point is this isn't the end of the world. One player doesn't make Carolina some type of powerhouse. 

The thing I will say regarding this is that Carolina over the last several years has missed having that guy who can get you a goal. While Aho hasn’t been brutal in the playoffs, Svechnikov has shrunk in those moments. Having Guentzel gives them a guy who plays their game and gets to the front and really generate and finish chances, which is something they’ve struggled with in the playoffs in the past. So this does cure one of their major ails heading into a playoff run.

20 minutes ago, RichieNextel305 said:

The thing I will say regarding this is that Carolina over the last several years has missed having that guy who can get you a goal. While Aho hasn’t been brutal in the playoffs, Svechnikov has shrunk in those moments. Having Guentzel gives them a guy who plays their game and gets to the front and really generate and finish chances, which is something they’ve struggled with in the playoffs in the past. So this does cure one of their major ails heading into a playoff run.

Guentzel outside Pittsburgh is an unknown. 

Sometimes the best move is the one you don't make. 

3 minutes ago, Pete said:

Guentzel outside Pittsburgh is an unknown. 

Sometimes the best move is the one you don't make. 

I was on the fence on Guentzel, but not because of my doubts of him outside of Pittsburgh. I was more concerned with the cost, the premium we would have to pay being a bitter rival and the fact that if we don’t win the Cup, this could be a decision that haunts us for years. Imagine us getting dry humped in the 1st Round by the Islanders, Guentzel walks and we have to watch Othmann or Kakko turn into a star in Pittsburgh with that late-1st turning into a 40-goal scoring 1st liner for them for the next 20 years? I know we all like to think best case scenario (Guentzel comes in, goes nuts, team gels and wins the Cup) but also have to think worst case too.

In the end, I was almost at the point where if it happened and it involved Kakko, I might be okay with it for reasons I said in other threads as far as then maybe having enough space to retain Guentzel on an extension. But I never really got the sense that he was going to end up here. I think he would have been a really nice fit though.

So Pitt basically went quantity over quality.  Not that I really care for Guentzel, I feel like we could’ve somehow matched that without giving up Kakko, Othman, Perrault.  Dubas is the Gettleman of hockey

Edited by Vodka Drunkenski
  • LOL 1