• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Expectation Is Jake Guentzel Will Be Traded by Tomorrow Night

If we could talk extension, or be given some type of a window, I would be all over this if I were Drury. I know it may be a big ask, but man, this would be someone who may very well be the final piece to a puzzle. He is crazy good in the playoffs too.

Shit. Would be a great fit…..

7 minutes ago, RichieNextel305 said:

If we could talk extension, or be given some type of a window, I would be all over this if I were Drury. I know it may be a big ask, but man, this would be someone who may very well be the final piece to a puzzle. He is crazy good in the playoffs too.

Shit. Would be a great fit…..

They just really don't need another LW though. Right player, wrong position.

6 minutes ago, RJWantsTheCup said:

Just about every site lists him as a LW except for Cap Friendly.  Couldn't find any stats showing how much RW he's played.

Same. But I know Yahoo specifically changed his status to LW/RW, and CF also lists him as such.

30 minutes ago, Phil said:

CF lists Guentzel as LW/RW.

19 minutes ago, RJWantsTheCup said:

Just about every site lists him as a LW except for Cap Friendly.  Couldn't find any stats showing how much RW he's played.

15 minutes ago, RichieNextel305 said:

Believe he plays both sides. Or at least he has in the past.

If he has played right wing it has not been in the last five or so years. I'm just not interested in that. 

If they sent one of our left wings the other way, then maybe. We have too many and we have more on the way. We can't just throw everybody on the right side and expect it to work out. There are differences playing your off side. 

19 minutes ago, Pete said:

If he has played right wing it has not been in the last five or so years. I'm just not interested in that. 

If they sent one of our left wings the other way, then maybe. We have too many and we have more on the way. We can't just throw everybody on the right side and expect it to work out. There are differences playing your off side. 

I agree. Just saying he's listed as both.

I don't really understand why they don't re-sign him. I imagine Crosby will be playing a few more years. They literally just have to trade Reilly Smith.

I wouldn't be surprised to see a contract before the buzzer ala Kreider 4 years ago.

13 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

I don't really understand why they don't re-sign him. I imagine Crosby will be playing a few more years. They literally just have to trade Reilly Smith.

I wouldn't be surprised to see a contract before the buzzer ala Kreider 4 years ago.

Maybe they trade him and resign him anyway. 

• Cheers 1

Posted (edited)
51 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

They need to do a lot more than trade Reilly Smith. They need to hit the reset button. That core, as a whole, is cooked. As individual assets and individual players, sure, their numbers are still good to pretty good.

But as a team? They’re fried. There is no energy. There’s no drive. You’re talking about 2 straight years of missing the playoffs here. They traded for Erik Karlsson and have somehow gotten worse. Again, it’s like the late-90s/early-00s Rangers all over again: star players everywhere, but no real team.

Zero chance of a Kreider resolution here. The Rangers were showing signs of life leading into that deadline and were younger and more on the rise than this dumpster fire is in Pittsburgh. Guentzel is a goner for sure.

What I don’t understand whatsoever is why the hell they traded for Karlsson when you already have Letang and you knew you had to re-sign Guentzel. Like, this was not something far off. It was all within the year. Karlsson is an $11.5 cap hit with I believe like $1.5M being retained. So you’re paying a monster cap hit for Karlsson for 4 years when you already have Letang and now that money isn’t available for Guentzel, who at 29 has more legs in him and would have been a better long term asset for them than Karlsson. It’s truly baffling.

Edited by RichieNextel305