• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Stars Acquire Chris Tanev From Flames for a 2nd Round Pick, a Conditional 3rd Round Pick and Adam Grushnikov

• RichieNextel305 changed the title to Stars Acquire Chris Tanev From Flames
  • RichieNextel305 changed the title to Stars to Acquire Chris Tanev From Flames for a 2nd Round Pick, a Conditional 3rd Round Pick and Adam Grushnikov
  • Phil changed the title to Stars Acquire Chris Tanev From Flames for a 2nd Round Pick, a Conditional 3rd Round Pick and Adam Grushnikov
13 hours ago, BrooksBurner said:

Tanev ain't that good. This market is batshit insane.

13 hours ago, Pete said:

The prices, especially with retention, are prohibitive. 

What are you two seeing that I am not? I looked at this and thought, "Whoa, that's...not much for Tanev."

This is...figure, #56 overall in 2024, a middling prospect with a 6th D ceiling, a late pick two years down the road, and a 3rd in two years if and only if they make the finals. A lot of meh for one of the better D on the market. And they got double retention for it!

13 minutes ago, LindG1000 said:

What are you two seeing that I am not? I looked at this and thought, "Whoa, that's...not much for Tanev."

This is...figure, #56 overall in 2024, a middling prospect with a 6th D ceiling, a late pick two years down the road, and a 3rd in two years if and only if they make the finals. A lot of meh for one of the better D on the market. And they got double retention for it!

It's a 2nd, a 20 y.o. 2nd round prospect, a conditional 3rd, and a 4th for a 34 y.o. rental whose best days are behind him. He's not bad, but it's a name grab and that's the problem.

I wouldn't be too happy with a 2nd, Adam Sykora, conditional 3rd, and a 4th for Adam Henrique. Would you?

Edited by BrooksBurner

16 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

It's a 2nd, a 20 y.o. 2nd round prospect, a conditional 3rd, and a 4th for a 34 y.o. rental whose best days are behind him. He's not bad, but it's a name grab and that's the problem.

I wouldn't be too happy with a 2nd, Adam Sykora, conditional 3rd, and a 4th for Adam Henrique. Would you?

No, but I don't think anyone believes that the prospect they sent over is of the same caliber as Sykora. They sent over a younger Matthew Robertson-like player. 

And I would be just fine with a very late 2nd, a third that's unlikely to flip, Robertson, and a 4th for Henrique. That seems plenty reasonable.

6 minutes ago, LindG1000 said:

No, but I don't think anyone believes that the prospect they sent over is of the same caliber as Sykora. They sent over a younger Matthew Robertson-like player. 

And I would be just fine with a very late 2nd, a third that's unlikely to flip, Robertson, and a 4th for Henrique. That seems plenty reasonable.

It's easy to say this with the ability of hindsight with Robertson. His value was different 2 years ago at 20 years old as a recent 2nd round pick.

52 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

This is where I'm at. This is not a 29-year-old UFA. This is a 34-year-old with a lot of miles on his tires and plays a style where any shift could be his last. They gave up a ton of value and jump through hoops from a retention standpoint to make this happen and at best he's a second pairing D on that team, most likely a third pairing. 

All that being said, they believe in that team and that team is a wagon so from their POV it could be worth it.

The Rangers aren't one Chris Tanev away. 

1 hour ago, siddious said:

How are the devils taking on salary? Are they that good cap wise?

guess they’re giving up on this season 

Hamilton is on LTIR and done through early April at the absolute earliest. May as well use the space to acquire picks.