• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Markstrom Approved Trade to Devils Before Deal Fell Apart

Phil

The Breakaway guys were saying how weird it was that every broadcast mentioned this last night as if it were already common knowledge.

Regardless, I want no part of that Devils team finding a goalie. I want them to have the modern day equivalent of Ken McAuley for all eternity.

• Like 1
  • Keeps it 100 2

3 hours ago, Keirik said:

Well thank god. That would change their team drastically. Still have no defense though. 

Agreed. Seeing the way Markstrom looked last night, he would give them a major league jolt. And would answer their biggest and most obvious need.

Their defense is a mess. Their goaltending is a trainwreck. Would I be absolutely stunned to see them make the playoffs? No. But that’s just because that after the top teams in the East, the WC is extremely jumbled together and will likely come down to whoever can find a way to run off a hot streak.

But their defense, losing Severson and Graves to UFA and Hamilton to injury, is awful. And Vanecek is terrible too. I was terrified last off-season when they were chatty with Winnipeg for Hellebyuck. Markstrom may not be as good as him, but he would make an impact.

Edited by RichieNextel305

2 hours ago, RichieNextel305 said:

Agreed. Seeing the way Markstrom looked last night, he would give them a major league jolt. And would answer their biggest and most obvious need.

Their defense is a mess. Their goaltending is a trainwreck. Would I be absolutely stunned to see them make the playoffs? No. But that’s just because that after the top teams in the East, the WC is extremely jumbled together and will likely come down to whoever can find a way to run off a hot streak.

But their defense, losing Severson and Graves to UFA and Hamilton to injury, is awful. And Vanecek is terrible too. I was terrified last off-season when they were chatty with Winnipeg for Hellebyuck. Markstrom may not be as good as him, but he would make an impact.

Their defense is young and inexperienced. They will get better, and they will get Hamilton back. 

1 hour ago, Pete said:

Their defense is young and inexperienced. They will get better, and they will get Hamilton back. 

In the future it will get better, yeah. But this year? Definitely a training wheels year for them.

Hamilton is likely done for the remainder of the regular season. I remember reading a late-April/early-May return date was what was projected. Their offense can be explosive, sure. But that young defense playing in front of that hot garbage goaltending the remainder of the year? I’m not sure they get there. Not saying they can’t, but gonna be an uphill battle IMO.

3 minutes ago, RichieNextel305 said:

In the future it will get better, yeah. But this year? Definitely a training wheels year for them.

Hamilton is likely done for the remainder of the regular season. I remember reading a late-April/early-May return date was what was projected. Their offense can be explosive, sure. But that young defense playing in front of that hot garbage goaltending the remainder of the year? I’m not sure they get there. Not saying they can’t, but gonna be an uphill battle IMO.

Getting Markstrom was not about this year. Everyone knows they're not making the playoffs. 

21 minutes ago, Pete said:

Getting Markstrom was not about this year. Everyone knows they're not making the playoffs. 

Yes and no. I mean they do need goaltending now and later. They're a younger team. But I don’t think when they made a play for someone like Toffoli that they thought they would be in this position this season. And obviously you can’t project injuries but losing Hamilton was crippling, given the youth of the blueline.

Obviously this year hasn’t gone the way they expected. Like I said earlier, once you get by the Top 3 or 4 teams in the East (us, Boston, Florida, Carolina), you have a jumbled bunch of teams competing for 3 or 4 spots come April. Getting Markstrom can save their bacon this year, because if they remained healthy and he got into the playoffs, he can cover some of their defensive warts. But as is? Gonna be tough for them. Vanecek isn’t good enough to cover these mistakes up.

Long term, this is an issue that will eventually be answered. Read earlier, I believe from Weekes, that they had also had discussions with CBJ about Elvis Merzlikins. So, should be interesting to see who eventually ends up there. And when they actually do.

Edited by RichieNextel305

1 hour ago, RichieNextel305 said:

Yes and no. I mean they do need goaltending now and later. They're a younger team. But I don’t think when they made a play for someone like Toffoli that they thought they would be in this position this season. And obviously you can’t project injuries but losing Hamilton was crippling, given the youth of the blueline.

Obviously this year hasn’t gone the way they expected. Like I said earlier, once you get by the Top 3 or 4 teams in the East (us, Boston, Florida, Carolina), you have a jumbled bunch of teams competing for 3 or 4 spots come April. Getting Markstrom can save their bacon this year, because if they remained healthy and he got into the playoffs, he can cover some of their defensive warts. But as is? Gonna be tough for them. Vanecek isn’t good enough to cover these mistakes up.

Long term, this is an issue that will eventually be answered. Read earlier, I believe from Weekes, that they had also had discussions with CBJ about Elvis Merzlikins. So, should be interesting to see who eventually ends up there. And when they actually do.

I'm just saying that if they get markstrom now, they have him next season as well when their defense will be more seasoned and sorted out. Everything they're doing now is for the long term.

Even if you talk about the Toffoli trade, I'm sure they would have rather kept the cheaper player and their draft pick knowing the output would be the same. 

15 hours ago, Pete said:

Hope you're right, but they are currently two points out, have the tie breaker, and 30 games to go.

5 hours ago, Sharpshooter said:

Him on the Devils is nightmare fuel. lol Thankfully that didn't happen, and hopefully it doesn't happen eventually.

They're going to get a good goalie though. They're not going to sit on their hands with Vanecek, Schmid, or Daws for their whole window.

Just now, Morphinity 2.0 said:

They're going to get a good goalie though. They're not going to sit on their hands with Vanecek, Schmid, or Daws for their whole window.

Cue Saros for Mercer.

They can get a 4x6 brick wall.  They'd better get their shit together on defense though.  That D is still extremely susceptible to even a somewhat decent forecheck, no less something like Carolina's

They play the Canes again in the playoffs and they're going down....fast!

I can see Brindy licking his chops at that matchup!

1 hour ago, Ozzy said:

They can get a 4x6 brick wall.  They'd better get their shit together on defense though.  That D is still extremely susceptible to even a somewhat decent forecheck, no less something like Carolina's

They play the Canes again in the playoffs and they're going down....fast!

I can see Brindy licking his chops at that matchup!

I really want a second crack at that first round matchup!!

2 minutes ago, jsm7302 said:

I really want a second crack at that first round matchup!!

We have to work on our forecheck over the last 30 games, J.  I think we struggle putting pressure on defenses at times.  But I'd I'd also like another shot at them too!!

18 hours ago, Morphinity 2.0 said:

Oh, definitely. I'd just rather it not be him. lol He always plays us tough as nails. I'll be interested to see who they get. I think Schmid can be good, but he won't be an impact goalie or anything.

Boomer Esiason mentioned this AM that the Devils are close to getting Markstrom.  

Didnt sound like he was saying they were close and it fell apart from the reports that we read, so maybe they're working through it?  or maybe he read the reports and didnt mention that the trade is dead.