• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Nick Bonino Granted Unconditional Release

Phil

2 minutes ago, Albatrosss said:

interesting.  is he retiring or maybe Europe?

Unlikely. He'll probably try for another NHL contract. He'll be UFA once this process is complete and free to sign with anyone.

3 minutes ago, Phil said:

Unlikely. He'll probably try for another NHL contract. He'll be UFA once this process is complete and free to sign with anyone.

I doubt it. He was signed to an $800k deal. Why would any team sign him when they otherwise could've claimed him? Is a team really going to sign him for $30k less? He's done. I don't think anyone wants him.

1 minute ago, Drew a Penalty said:

I doubt it. He was signed to an $800k deal. Why would any team sign him when they otherwise could've claimed him? Is a team really going to sign him for $30k less? He's done. I don't think anyone wants him.

Fair enough. I guess, but this is contract termination, not buyout. If he was retiring, he could just retire. He gets $0 regardless.

31 minutes ago, Phil said:

he was waived and not claimed and he makes pretty much league minimum.  i dont think anyone in the NHL is offering him a contract

32 minutes ago, Albatrosss said:

he was waived and not claimed and he makes pretty much league minimum.  i dont think anyone in the NHL is offering him a contract

Sure, maybe. I'm just saying, retirement seems unlikely. At least not right away. He didn't require unconditional waivers or contract termination to just retire. He gets $0 regardless because he's not being bought out. Europe, though, maybe.

I had zero problem with the teams best shot blocker.  He definitely played more minutes than he should have and that made him look worse.

Why he wasn't back on the 4th line and Goodrow pushed up to 3 C is a head scratcher. I view them as equally effective as 4Cs.

Bonino definitely taught some tricks to this roster at the faceoff dot. Everyone has improved and have been using his slipped stick at tge dot.  He deserved better. Probably not an everyday player. Definitely not a 3C. Ah well. 

Just now, The Dude said:

I had zero problem with the teams best shot blocker.  He definitely played more minutes than he should have and that made him look worse.

Why he wasn't back on the 4th line and Goodrow pushed up to 3 C is a head scratcher. I view them as equally effective as 4Cs.

Bonino definitely taught some tricks to this roster at the faceoff dot. Everyone has improved and have been using his slipped stick at tge dot.  He deserved better. Probably not an everyday player. Definitely not a 3C. Ah well. 

He was basically a player/coach. I think he can still contribute somewhere else, but he does look kind of toast.