• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Solid Effort Tonight

Rangers played well from the middle of the 2nd period on I thought. Met some tough goaltending but came through to tie it and eventually win it in OT!! That was against a very tough hockey the AVS!  Let’s hope this type of play continues. LETS GO RANGERS!! 
Ranger Ed 

1 hour ago, RangersIn7 said:

An uneven 1st period, more Avs than Rangers, but Rangers weren’t bad. Even early on in 2nd period. Neither team had many shots or chances.

Rangers were better from late 2nd on. 

The Rangers did everything you wanted them to do in the first period. They bent but didn't break until the MacKinnon goal. They played it safe and focused on defense until there was enough of it opening to try and push some offense.

The third period they also did everything you wanted them to do down by one.

They now have a two game winning streak where they spanked one of the worst teams in the league and came from behind against one of the best teams in the league. 

These are the signs you look for when a team is trying to turn the corner. You don't get perfection right away, but these are definitely two steps forward. 

• Bullseye 1

25 minutes ago, Pete said:

The Rangers did everything you wanted them to do in the first period. They bent but didn't break until the MacKinnon goal. They played it safe and focused on defense until there was enough of it opening to try and push some offense.

The third period they also did everything you wanted them to do down by one.

They now have a two game winning streak where they spanked one of the worst teams in the league and came from behind against one of the best teams in the league. 

These are the signs you look for when a team is trying to turn the corner. You don't get perfection right away, but these are definitely two steps forward. 

Yeah.

At no point on the game were they bad.

MacKinnon’s goal was an elite player making a great play.

I really liked what I saw last night, for the most part.

2 thing’s especially.

Laf got pissed off at some point and in the last 30 or so minutes was absolutely flying.

And Miller really showing some bite and nastiness down low against Rantanen.

He took that cross check to the back of the head, turned around and absolutely manhandled Rantanen.

Im of the opinion that you don’t have to be super physical to be a good defender nowadays, but it was nice to see him not only show that, but show it against an elite player and just throw that guy around like he was made of paper

1 minute ago, RangersIn7 said:

Yeah.

2 thing’s especially.

Laf got pissed off at some point and in the last 30 or so minutes was absolutely flying.

He took that cross check to the back of the head, turned around and absolutely manhandled Rantanen.

Im of the opinion that you don’t have to be super physical to be a good defender nowadays, but it was nice to see him not only show that, but show it against an elite player and just throw that guy around like he was made of paper

Not Only is he an elite player, he's a massive human. His nickname is moose, and Miller gave him a Tom Wilson style pile driver. 

I can totally see how that 1st was kinda slow out of the gate.

We're coming back after a long break, and we have 3 PK's in the first 11 minutes of the game.  Guys like Panarin, who don't PK sit the bench rotting away and don't get a chance to get their legs under them until a little while into the game.

There had to be like 6 guys who don't PK, or took maybe a short shift that don't see the ice again until maybe 9:00 left in the 1st.  So I can understand that.  It really was a fun game to watch though...probably one of the best this season.

I litterally jumped out of my chair when Laff scored though!  LOL

(...think I ripped my shorts too!)

Edited by Ozzy
  • LOL 1

Just now, Pete said:

Not Only is he an elite player, he's a massive human. His nickname is moose, and Miller gave him a Tom Wilson style pile driver. 

Miller does not need to do that all the time.

Just in spots vs the right guy.

Example- Red Auerbach used to complain about how Bull Russell got mugged physically. And he begged Russell to throw an elbow once in a while. Just to give the guys playing against him a moment of pause. He didn’t want to see anyone get hurt. Nor did he want a gentlemanly player like Russell become dirty. He just wanted guys to hesitate when they engaged him. 
When he finally did it, guys backed off some cause they didn’t want to catch an elbow in the face from a guy that size.

If he starts to do that in spots, it’s advantageous 

2 hours ago, RangersIn7 said:

Yeah.

2 thing’s especially.

accept that one time where Miller was Miller and McKinnon scored.  I'm not even sure what he was trying to do there? was he trying to open ice hit McKinnon by stepping up?  McKinnon fucking embarrassed him

9 minutes ago, Albatrosss said:

accept that one time where Miller was Miller and McKinnon scored.  I'm not even sure what he was trying to do there? was he trying to open ice hit McKinnon by stepping up?  McKinnon fucking embarrassed him

He isn't alone, my man.  I've seen Mackinnon do worse to better players.  The guy is a human highlight reel.  That's simply a great player making a phenomenal play.  And Quickie STILL almost bailed them out and got a piece of it!

Other than that, it's a 0-0 game into the 3rd.

4 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

He isn't alone, my man.  I've seen Mackinnon do worse to better players.  The guy is a human highlight reel.  That's simply a great player making a phenomenal play.  And Quickie STILL almost bailed them out and got a piece of it!

Other than that, it's a 0-0 game into the 3rd.

Miller stepped up and got caught flat footed.  Its not just Mckinnon making a great move, it's miller totally fucking up.  What was he trying to do?

• Keeps it 100 1

7 minutes ago, Albatrosss said:

Miller stepped up and got caught flat footed.  Its not just Mckinnon making a great move, it's miller totally fucking up.  What was he trying to do?

LAviolette made reference to that play in his presser saying something about how they were trying to adjust to slowing him in the NZ, and Miller was caught in the middle of poking it or hitting him, which he didn't react fast enough to either.

14 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

LAviolette made reference to that play in his presser saying something about how they were trying to adjust to slowing him in the NZ, and Miller was caught in the middle of poking it or hitting him, which he didn't react fast enough to either.

so thanks to Miller for yet another awful defensve play?

15 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

I think he kind of stopped in his tracks thinking mack was going to bump into him a bit and get thrown off since he was FLYING and momentum was carrying him towards Miller.

mack is just a human specimen and read that beautifully and avoided it. Wasn’t an amazing play on Millers end but I’m not going to say he’s awful for it either.

shot was tricky too. quick maybe shoulda had it but I can look past it.

1 goal vs that team is not bad 

• Bullseye 1

3 minutes ago, Albatrosss said:

so thanks to Miller for yet another awful defensve play?

Well, I would kinda give more credit to Nate for smokin' right past them.  I've seen him do that an awful lot over the last 10 seasons!

...and Pete's comment above holds some serious weight.  1 goal...not too shabby.

Edited by Ozzy

Just now, Ozzy said:

Well, I would kindaq give more credit to Nate for smokin' right past them.  I've seen him do that an awful lot over the last 10 seasons!

Miller is your boy.  I get it. I, on the other hand, saw yet another fuck up by Miller's defensive play. 

• LMFAO 1

3 hours ago, Br4d said:

The Rangers were outskated in the 1st and then tightened things up in the 2nd.  It was nice to see them not have a lost period in the middle of the game.

What does "outskated" mean? Avs carried the play, but the Rangers defended well enough. It took their world class player to make a world class play to get a goal.

They dominated the 3rd.

Actually Laff is my boy....I have also adopted Cuylle with open arms.

But Miller takes a beating up here, and Nate can make even the best of 'em look bad.  Miller will be a very good player one day, and I hope the Rangers are more patient than we are.

4 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Well, I would kinda give more credit to Nate for smokin' right past them.  I've seen him do that an awful lot over the last 10 seasons!

...and Pete's comment above holds some serious weight.  1 goal...not too shabby.

If people want to criticize a defenseman for MacKinnon walking them, then there are 4-5 defenseman on 31 other teams who need to get in line.

• Bullseye 1

Just now, Pete said:

If people want to criticize a defenseman for MacKinnon walking them, then there are 4-5 defenseman on 31 other teams who need to get in line.

Exactly man!!!  That guy is super human!  I watched him go through teams all year like that.  He's exactly what you said; A World Class player.

Full Stop.

1 minute ago, Ozzy said:

Actually Laff is my boy....I have also adopted Cuylle with open arms.

But Miller takes a beating up here, and Nate can make even the best of 'em look bad.  Miller will be a very good player one day, and I hope the Rangers are more patient than we are.

It was not just Nate making a move, Nate reacted to Miller standing up to him for some reason.  Miller is not a physical player, he doesnt hit like Trouba does.  He poke checks and chases the play, that's his game.  No one knows WTF he was doing there.  

He will be a very good player one day, just not in the NHL

• LMFAO 1

2 minutes ago, Albatrosss said:

It was not just Nate making a move, Nate reacted to Miller standing up to him for some reason.  Miller is not a physical player, he doesnt hit like Trouba does.  He poke checks and chases the play, that's his game.  No one knows WTF he was doing there.  

He will be a very good player one day, just not in the NHL

Skip to 4:42 of this, Simon...Lavvy tells the tale here:

38 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Skip to 4:42 of this, Simon...Lavvy tells the tale here:

i understand what they were trying to do.  Im not arguing that.  Then i watched Miller trying to stand up to McKinnon? Can you explain what Miller was trying to do on that play?

Just now, Albatrosss said:

i understand what they were trying to do.  Im not arguing that.  Then i watched Miller trying to stand up to McKinnon? Can you explain what Miller was trying to do on that play?

I can try;

It looked like the Rangers were going to sit in the 1-3-1.  MacKinnon is one of few that can break a 1-3-1, and I think Laviolette wanted a different setup to defend Mac in the NZ.  From the presser it sounds like he wasn't clear on how they were to defend MacKinnon.  Miller and I think it was Schneider, got caught in the 1-3-1 transition and Miller was the closest to him.  He tried to get to the puck but Mac caught him flat-footed, and in between decisions.

You do that as a defenseman and you're fucked.

The point is, Miller was doing what Lavvy asked him originally, but apparently they wanted to treat Mac a little different to slow him down.  The results show why.  Give Laviolette credit too, they made an adjustment in between periods; something not done around here since I almost can't remember.

Once they made that adjustment in between periods, and even though The Avs had some good chances, they were much less dangerous, and fewer.

That's my best take....I'm not blaming Miller there.  There are others he can take some heat for, but not that one.