• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Solid Effort Tonight

8 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

He tried to get to the puck but Mac caught him flat-footed, and in between decisions.

You do that as a defenseman and you're fucked.

That's my best take....I'm not blaming Miller there.  There are others he can take some heat for, but not that one.

you just did

While it’s true that only a handful of players can do that MacKinnon play and then finish it with a goal, it doesn’t change that Miller does what he always does. A weak poke check and avoided contact like the plague. He’s a slightly bigger Tom Poti. Trade him this summer before the book is out, if it’s not too late

• Keeps it 100 1

1 hour ago, Ozzy said:

I can try;

It looked like the Rangers were going to sit in the 1-3-1.  MacKinnon is one of few that can break a 1-3-1, and I think Laviolette wanted a different setup to defend Mac in the NZ.  From the presser it sounds like he wasn't clear on how they were to defend MacKinnon.  Miller and I think it was Schneider, got caught in the 1-3-1 transition and Miller was the closest to him.  He tried to get to the puck but Mac caught him flat-footed, and in between decisions.

You do that as a defenseman and you're fucked.

The point is, Miller was doing what Lavvy asked him originally, but apparently they wanted to treat Mac a little different to slow him down.  The results show why.  Give Laviolette credit too, they made an adjustment in between periods; something not done around here since I almost can't remember.

Once they made that adjustment in between periods, and even though The Avs had some good chances, they were much less dangerous, and fewer.

That's my best take....I'm not blaming Miller there.  There are others he can take some heat for, but not that one.

People just like to blame Miller because he's the whipping boy. Every year the defense has one.

Like most things, the truth is in the middle and a goal is almost never one guy's fault. Firstly MacKinnon is a world class player who can make plays that others can't make standing still, at top speed.

Miller went for a hit and missed, but there's ZERO backpressure on MacKinnon and Goodrow takes a horrible route followed by a weak stick check. Not much Schneider or Quick can do there with the release.

• Cheers 1

26 minutes ago, Pete said:

People just like to blame Miller because he's the whipping boy. Every year the defense has one.

Like most things, the truth is in the middle and a goal is almost never one guy's fault. Firstly MacKinnon is a world class player who can make plays that others can't make standing still, at top speed.

Miller went for a hit and missed, but there's ZERO backpressure on MacKinnon and Goodrow takes a horrible route followed by a weak stick check. Not much Schneider or Quick can do there with the release.

Miller never hits, especially in open ice.  You accuse him of being physical again and i will report you to the moderators. 

The eyeball test says Miller sucks on D.  Its a fact, everybody knows it. 

1 minute ago, Albatrosss said:

Miller never hits, especially in open ice.  You accuse him of being physical again and i will report you to the moderators. 

The eyeball test says Miller sucks on D.  Its a fact, everybody knows it. 

It's a fact that he's having a rough year on defense. That's about it. 

1 minute ago, Albatrosss said:

you feel bad for the guy, i get it.  but he is what he is

I feel bad for the uneducated fans who want to give up on a player because he has warts. Every player does. 

This fan base would complain about Makar if they got to watch him every night. 

Edited by Pete

2 minutes ago, Pete said:

I feel bad for the uneducated fans who want to give up on a player because he has warts. Every player does. 

This fan base would complain about Makar if they got to watch him every night. 

yes, this fanbase sucks.  Find another one

1 hour ago, Pete said:

It looked to me like he overcommitted to the outside with bad footwork and gave MacKinnon an easy cut to the inside. I can't agree that he was going for a hit there at all. He actually made himself small to basically avoid contact after MacKinnon made the cut.

Agree on Goodrow's bad angle.

Edited by BrooksBurner
  • TroCheckmark 1

They matched up pretty good against the Avs. But let's not look past Panarin not getting a shot until the beginning of the 3rd period.  Then there's Zibanejad who didn't have one until 11 minutes of the 3rd. 

The Avs were on Panarin,  like flys on shit mist of tge night. Zibanejad though?  He's in la- la land. Gotta find a way to get him going. Obvious solution is to move Kreider away from him. Problem is the other lines are either set or finding their way.  

2 hours ago, BrooksBurner said:

While it’s true that only a handful of players can do that MacKinnon play and then finish it with a goal, it doesn’t change that Miller does what he always does. A weak poke check and avoided contact like the plague. He’s a slightly bigger Tom Poti. Trade him this summer before the book is out, if it’s not too late

I originally thought he was trying to make a hit and stand him up at the blue line.  Which I love. Problem is, he did as you said and he kinda avoided making the hit. Not sure why. If you're going to be there, you should be trying for contact. Maybe it was the speed Mac was coming in with. 

I think Miller had a better game than he's been having.  

Good job by Laviolette to take the bullet for a bad decision by Miller.