• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Will Sidney Crosby Finish His Career as a Penguin?

I’ve seen a few videos on Twitter and some debates about it. Figured I would start the debate up here.

The Penguins are a fundamentally flawed hockey team. Even with Crosby turning back the clock and playing some of the very best hockey of his career, they still are near the bottom of the Metro. It’s a lot of older guys who have all accomplished a lot who just seem to be on cruise control. Add in the fact they’re very likely to lose Jake Guentzel either in a few weeks at the deadline or in the summer. Plus, between us, and Jersey moving forward (provided Jack Hughes stays healthy), Philly now showing major signs of being on the cusp of being a big threat, Carolina being Carolina; it’s a tough division. And if the Penguins aren’t competing with him playing this way right now, it’s hard to believe they will at anytime in the immediate future.

Crosby seems like a very loyal guy. There has never been, nor should there ever have been, any signals that he would be interested in a move out of Pittsburgh. But, he was in his prime, on an elite team, building a legacy with other elite players that were forever Penguins. His contract expires after next season. You have to wonder if or when the thought starts to trickle in about the inner debate of finishing up where he started and wearing one jersey for his entire career, even if that means accepting the fact that another run at the Cup may be out of reach, or if he would be interested in chasing a Cup elsewhere and going out competing for one on a yearly basis.

As loyal as he is, I’m not sure a guy with a competitive streak like him is okay playing out the string. It’s a tough debate. But one that I think is more than ready to be had.

What are your thoughts? Career Penguin? Or chase a title elsewhere like a Tom Brady to really cement his legacy as one of the best to ever do it?

He will retire in Pitt. I just don't see it any other way since they put so much into Letang and Malkin to keep the trio together. I'd say different if he had not won a cup but he has nothing else to prove. Brady wanted to show he was the GOAT and could win anywhere. He was and is probably the most successful athlete of all time. Crosby is one of the best hockey players but not in the same convo as Brady.

Brady and Gretzky are comparable.

Lifetime Penguin...It'll never happen in my opinion.  I think of Ray Borque here, but Borque never won a cup before he was traded to the Avs.  Sid's done it all, and has no reason to up and play elsewhere at this point in his life.

He'll stay in Pittsburgh for his entire career. I'm convinced of it. They absolutely suck this year, and that's not what management wanted or expected, but they heavily invested in keeping the big dawgs together. Crosby's one of them. He's going nowhere. They'll "retool on the fly" or whatever and do everything they can to get back to playoff contention next season. Even if that means trading Guentzel or whomever else.

Way too soon to write off the Pens.

Underlying stats are excellent. Positive goal differential with their record suggests they have been on the unlucky side of really close games. They have multiple games in hand on the teams in front of them. 8 points back of the Flyers who are 3rd in Metro, but 5 less games played. Even if they only collect 6 points in those 5 games, they are just 2 points back.

My money would be on them finding a way into the playoffs, and they'll be a problem, especially if all that talent on the PP starts to click (it's been shockingly awful).

4 hours ago, jsm7302 said:

He will retire in Pitt. I just don't see it any other way since they put so much into Letang and Malkin to keep the trio together. I'd say different if he had not won a cup but he has nothing else to prove. Brady wanted to show he was the GOAT and could win anywhere. He was and is probably the most successful athlete of all time. Crosby is one of the best hockey players but not in the same convo as Brady.

Brady and Gretzky are comparable.

Interesting. What about Mess? I think he’s more accomplished than Brady. 

7 minutes ago, Albatrosss said:

Interesting. What about Mess? I think he’s more accomplished than Brady. 

I think with football, you have a position that leads the teams offense and creates the success where in hockey you have multiple lines in case one isn't firing. This is why I would say Brady is the most successful athlete as opposed to a hockey player. Same could be said for other sports where individual performance is a lot more important than team performance as a whole. It's a tough stance to have an argument to make especially because I'm not a huge football fan but I can appreciate the role of a quarterback.

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, jsm7302 said:

I think with football, you have a position that leads the teams offense and creates the success where in hockey you have multiple lines in case one isn't firing. This is why I would say Brady is the most successful athlete as opposed to a hockey player. Same could be said for other sports where individual performance is a lot more important than team performance as a whole. It's a tough stance to have an argument to make especially because I'm not a huge football fan but I can appreciate the role of a quarterback.

i mean....Yogi Berra won 10 world series.  DiMaggio won 9...in 13 years. 

Most successful for Brady is a bit tough considering guys in other sports. I won't even get into Michael Jordan but yeah. It's a good conversation for another day. 

30 minutes ago, Keirik said:

Most successful for Brady is a bit tough considering guys in other sports. I won't even get into Michael Jordan but yeah. It's a good conversation for another day. 

no one cares about your Yankees, yea I said it

• LOL 1

14 hours ago, Keirik said:

But have they done it with different teams?