• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Jon Stewart Will Return to 'the Daily Show' for 2024 Election Cycle

Phil

41 minutes ago, siddious said:

Da best!

I wish he would just run for office 

I feel like 2 things are true...

1. Some would rather talk about it than be about it
  2. Holding office is actually the worst place to try and impact change

31 minutes ago, Pete said:

I feel like 2 things are true...

1. Some would rather talk about it than be about it
  2. Holding office is actually the worst place to try and impact change

Generally, I agree. Couldn’t be worse than anyone else in office though.

Day one is going to smash Comedy Central's ratings records. 

I'm here for this too. Stewart's as much a journalist as he is a comedian, and his approach is so unique and so strong. Instantaneous must-watch Monday night TV.

1 hour ago, The Dude said:

Show has been a failure for years. Final death knell of a garbage show with a garbage message from a self hating has been. 

the rock spit GIF by WWE

They weren’t going to replace Jon Stewart. His style and,  comedic timing, and general insight is a rare combination. 

I didn’t think Trevor Noah (who’s a funny comedian in his own right) was bad but I agree the show really wasn’t the same. The show really became Jon Stewart and Comedy Central knows it. 

9 minutes ago, siddious said:

They weren’t going to replace Jon Stewart. His style and,  comedic timing, and general insight is a rare combination. 

I didn’t think Trevor Noah (who’s a funny comedian in his own right) was bad but I agree the show really wasn’t the same. The show really became Jon Stewart and Comedy Central knows it. 

Jon Stewart is a truly singular comedian. It's rare to get his blend of intelligence, insight, wit, humor, and frankly, legitimate investigative journalistic skills all in one place. If not for the fact that he made his hay as a comedian, he'd be a very strong news anchor and would not at all be out of place. And he would do it really, really well. 

He became the show. Noah was smart enough to know that and try to do his own thing - good in its own right, but not quite what we wanted as an audience.

• Bullseye 1

5 hours ago, siddious said:

I've never thought he was all that funny. Just kinda cool. Then the show turned into what it did. He's not very cool anymore (IMO). 

Seems like a few of you are big fans. Sorry to be such a hater. I kinda can't stand him. 

When you guys talk about comedic timing. Can you explain that? I mean, is turning your head to a different camera for a lame/ predictable punch really comedic timing? 

He's not quick. Not witty. Was he really ever a comedian? I consider stand up comedy to be a pre requisite. Comedy actor maybe. Can't think of anything he was in. Comedy personality maybe? 

5 minutes ago, The Dude said:

I've never thought he was all that funny. Just kinda cool. Then the show turned into what it did. He's not very cool anymore (IMO). 

Seems like a few of you are big fans. Sorry to be such a hater. I kinda can't stand him. 

When you guys talk about comedic timing. Can you explain that? I mean, is turning your head to a different camera for a lame/ predictable punch really comedic timing? 

He's not quick. Not witty. Was he really ever a comedian? I consider stand up comedy to be a pre requisite. Comedy actor maybe. Can't think of anything he was in. Comedy personality maybe? 

He was almost purely a stand up comic in the late 80s and early 90s. He hit it big with a Letterman appearance. His first show literally took Arsenio's spot, and if not for some no-name (at the time) named Conan O'Brien, he'd have taken Letterman's spot when Letterman left NBC for CBS. Longitme comedy and production career prior to the Daily Show. 

And, man, I dunno, but if you don't think he's quick, witty, and can read the room well, you haven't watched him all that much. His interviews with senators, newscasters, and others where he's just debating them in real time are strong examples of that - a lot of which came in the process of literally shaming senators into supporting veteran healthcare. His post-9/11 opening is among the best 7 minutes of television you will ever watch, as are his rants on pizza (both type, as evidenced by his Chicago deep dish rant, and means of eating, as he correctly attacked Bill De Blasio and Donald Trump for eating pizza with a fork and knife like a goddamn savage). And I don't know about you, but I can't think of too many people I can say those two sentences about in a row and honestly mean it. 

Comedy, like music or any other form of entertainment, is subjective. It's entirely OK for someone to think a comedian isn't funny while others think he's the GOAT. That's kinda how this stuff works. It's not universal.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Phil said:

Comedy, like music or any other form of entertainment, is subjective. It's entirely OK for someone to think a comedian isn't funny while others think he's the GOAT. That's kinda how this stuff works. It's not universal.

No the Beatles are the greatest band ever and Jon Stewart is hilarious. 

Jk (not really) 

but yea this is the way. It’s fair to say you don’t like him. 

1 hour ago, LindG1000 said:

He was almost purely a stand up comic in the late 80s and early 90s. He hit it big with a Letterman appearance. His first show literally took Arsenio's spot, and if not for some no-name (at the time) named Conan O'Brien, he'd have taken Letterman's spot when Letterman left NBC for CBS. Longitme comedy and production career prior to the Daily Show. 

And, man, I dunno, but if you don't think he's quick, witty, and can read the room well, you haven't watched him all that much. His interviews with senators, newscasters, and others where he's just debating them in real time are strong examples of that - a lot of which came in the process of literally shaming senators into supporting veteran healthcare. His post-9/11 opening is among the best 7 minutes of television you will ever watch, as are his rants on pizza (both type, as evidenced by his Chicago deep dish rant, and means of eating, as he correctly attacked Bill De Blasio and Donald Trump for eating pizza with a fork and knife like a goddamn savage). And I don't know about you, but I can't think of too many people I can say those two sentences about in a row and honestly mean it. 

I just take all he says as quippy, hack, unoriginal and predictable. Now he's woke and even more intolerable.  

Let's not pat him on the back for taking Arsenio's spot. He took over that time slot as Arsenio's ratings dropped after people of that time period didn't like where the show was headed. I'm reading that an interview with Louis Farrakhan was the downfall of Arsenio's show. Not the rising star of a quirky low level stand up. And it was WOR. They took anyone.  Including Howard Stern.  

You're really pumping him up here and I'm going to back off. He's your guy and I'll just respect that. 

I hate his politics,  but really admired his determination to speak up for vets. Other than that,  he can go piss up a flagpole. 

BTW, Conan Obrien was very well known as a writer for some of the best years of SNL. Many don't know Louis CK , Robert Smigel Bob Odenkirk and some others all were on the same staff for those years. 

1 hour ago, Pete said:

Let's be honest, it's all about his politics. 

For over praise and under praise, agreed.

It's all subjective for the rest.

To me:

Jon Stewart - funny

Trevor Noah - not funny

Stephen Colbert - not funny

They mostly align together politically, and I mostly disagree, but some guys are just funny anyway. That's Jon Stewart.

Edited by BrooksBurner
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

For over praise and under praise, agreed.

It's all subjective for the rest.

To me:

Jon Stewart - funny

Trevor Noah - not funny

Stephen Colbert - not funny

They mostly align together politically, and I mostly disagree, but some guys are just funny anyway. That's Jon Stewart.

💯

I'll even admit that Bill Maher, who I align with politically (Not on everything, but on most things), used to be funny... He's not really that funny anymore. I think Trump plus COVID sapped him.

Not really trying to debate whether Maher was ever funny or not, just agreeing that sometimes funny is just funny. 

I've watched Maher for decades and never found him particularly funny. Don't get me wrong; I'll laugh at his jokes every once in a while, but he's not exactly batting 1.000.

His show is good (to me) because he's politically intelligent and because of the quality of his guests. If it were him talking and cracking jokes for an hour every week he'd have been cancelled in year one.

Stewart always made me laugh. Noah, never. Colbert, very rarely.

13 hours ago, Pete said:

Let's be honest, it's all about his politics. 

Kinda. But still never saw him as funny. Just a kinda cool guy. 

To compare, I hate Jimmy Kimmels politics,  but I know that guy is funny. 

Bill Burr is a woke jerk off. Still funny. 

Just never bought into the Stewart hype. 

• Cheers 1

12 hours ago, Pete said:

💯

I'll even admit that Bill Maher, who I align with politically (Not on everything, but on most things), used to be funny... He's not really that funny anymore. I think Trump plus COVID sapped him.

Not really trying to debate whether Maher was ever funny or not, just agreeing that sometimes funny is just funny. 

Let's be honest.  It's all about his new politics... 

Just now, The Dude said:

Let's be honest.  It's all about his new politics... 

I don't know what you mean, he doesn't have new politics. He just doesn't make as many jokes anymore, and if you see his stand up it's a bunch of recycled jokes from his Real Time monologues. 

Just now, Pete said:

I don't know what you mean, he doesn't have new politics. He just doesn't make as many jokes anymore, and if you see his stand up it's a bunch of recycled jokes from his Real Time monologues. 

He's gone from far left to more centralized.  He has new politics.  He definitely jumped ship of the ultra liberal boat that he was one of the comedic captains of.  

His stand up always stunk. He's a semi good interviewer, who got good guests and actually had discussions without trying to cut interviews short due to time constraints.  Hated his politics.  Respected his ability to listen. 

5 minutes ago, The Dude said:

He's gone from far left to more centralized.  He has new politics.  He definitely jumped ship of the ultra liberal boat that he was one of the comedic captains of.  

His stand up always stunk. He's a semi good interviewer, who got good guests and actually had discussions without trying to cut interviews short due to time constraints.  Hated his politics.  Respected his ability to listen. 

His politics haven't changed. The political landscape has changed. The left has moved further left, which makes him feel more centrist.

Regardless, that's not why I don't find it funny. 

• Cheers 1
  • Keeps it 100 1