• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

True Detective: Season 4

Did anyone watch the season premiere on Sunday night? I think it's off to a good start, a lot of potential here to have the best season since the first. Good acting by Jodie Foster as always, and I like the Alaskan setting. Also digging the creep factor and major supernatural-like vibes here. It might have been a little slow, but this series has always kind of been a slow burn anyway.

• 1 month later...

Finished it last night. Really wasn’t a fan of this season. Wasn’t terrible but didn’t love it either. 

Spoiler

Story felt like it went by too fast. Not even really sure why but it just didn’t seem to build like some od the other seasons did.

Not sure where the super natural elements came from.. made it seem like it was something other than true detective.

i dunno what it was exactly about both Jodi foster and the other chick but neither seemed to sell their role entirely. 

the backdrop of the tundra was really cool.. feel like this season should have been better. 

• Like 1

Yeah, only six episodes was really disappointing. I agree with everything you said. The cast was good, on paper, but it felt like there was nothing good. Jodi Foster, herself, was good as always. I didn't really mind the supernatural stuff, but it felt like it wasn't going anywhere. The ending was good, and I really liked the atmosphere as well. I did read that it got renewed for another season with the same writer that did this season. Hopefully it's better and she has more episodes to work with. I feel like a lot of series now either drag on too long or end too quickly.

The supernatural stuff is part of Inuit culture and mystique. It's not like the whole cast was experiencing those events. 

Spoiler

I thought it was okay, I didn't understand any of the tie-ins to season 1 that didn't go anywhere. The symbol had nothing to do with anything, in the finale somebody said time was a flat circle, big deal? It just didn't make any sense. 

Edited by Pete

1 minute ago, Pete said:

The supernatural stuff is part of Inuit culture and mystique. It's not like the whole cast was experiencing those events. 

Like I said in and of itself it’s fine.

But for true detective I almost felt like it came out of left field a bit. I know there was a spiritual or cosmic element to season 1 and 3 (I can’t bring myself to finish season 2) but this leaned into it a bit more. I could forgive it easily if the story itself was better but I was left feeling a bit flat in the end.

1 hour ago, Sharpshooter said:

Yeah, only six episodes was really disappointing. I agree with everything you said. The cast was good, on paper, but it felt like there was nothing good. Jodi Foster, herself, was good as always. I didn't really mind the supernatural stuff, but it felt like it wasn't going anywhere. The ending was good, and I really liked the atmosphere as well. I did read that it got renewed for another season with the same writer that did this season. Hopefully it's better and she has more episodes to work with. I feel like a lot of series now either drag on too long or end too quickly.

Yepp exactly how I feel. Maybe it’s a signature of story telling in our time or something where the journey takes precedent but I’ve felt this about a lot of shows. Or the pace suddenly changes to conclude the show as if the show runners are suddenly bored of it (GoT, the expanse).

Hated it.

Only watched because of Nic Pizzolatto and that fabulous first season.

Jody looked awful.   But, if I was in a pinch, I'd have to do her.    Just so happens, I'm in a pinch ! 😛