• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Jacob Trouba Appreciation Thread

Trouba has been a monster this year.  A true captain and a leader.  It took him few seasons but he's finally arrived.   Finally earning that $8M a season paycheck.   

Cant help but credit myself for his turn around after i spoke to him at the airport in France before pre-season.  

• Applause 3

I'd stop short of agreeing that he's earning the $8 million per, but he's 100% grown into the role and become an absolute staple of this team's overall identity and the defense corps. He's arguably overpaid by around $1.5–3 million annually because the Rangers bought in on a contract year thinking they were getting the next Scott Stevens. In a lot of ways, they did, but he's not the 60-point player he was when he stepped in to fill Byfuglien's role.

Still, it's really hard to imagine this team without him. Helmet: Just Throw It!™

• Keeps it 100 1

9 minutes ago, Phil said:

I'd stop short of agreeing that he's earning the $8 million per, but he's 100% grown into the role and become an absolute staple of this team's overall identity and the defense corps. He's arguably overpaid by around $1.5–3 million annually because the Rangers bought in on a contract year thinking they were getting the next Scott Stevens. In a lot of ways, they did, but he's not the 60-point player he was when he stepped in to fill Byfuglien's role.

Still, it's really hard to imagine this team without him. Helmet: Just Throw It!™

Why is he not the next Scott Stevens?  He's the captain, leader, hitter, plays in all situations.  If he's still overpaid, only by a mil or less.  No way he's a $5M defenseman.  

6 minutes ago, Albatrosss said:

Why is he not the next Scott Stevens?  He's the captain, leader, hitter, plays in all situations.  If he's still overpaid, only by a mil or less.  No way he's a $5M defenseman.  

Because he doesn't put up 60 points a season like Stevens did. He's on pace for 35 points this year.

He's a career 0.42 P/GP player who's time as a Ranger completely mirrors his career average, not the 0.61 P/GP they bought him on.

4 minutes ago, Phil said:

Because he doesn't put up 60 points a season like Stevens did. He's on pace for 35 points this year.

He's a career 0.42 P/GP player who's time as a Ranger completely mirrors his career average, not the 0.61 P/GP they bought him on.

stevens was not a 60 point a season defensemen.  He hit those totals few times but he was mostly a stay at home d-man.  

You pay for point for someone like Fox but not a mostly stay at home defenseman like Trouba.  Trouba brings a lot more than just P/GP

This team is a rudderless ship without him. The day of instilling fear in teams with an enforcer are over HOWEVER, you can't tell me guys aren't extra alert when Trouba is on the prowl. Guy makes meaningful impact both figuratively and for real. Best Captain this team has had since Cally! Guys willing to give their body and lead aren't easy to find.

🥂 To #8!

• Cheers 1

12 minutes ago, Albatrosss said:

stevens was not a 60 point a season defensemen.  He hit those totals few times but he was mostly a stay at home d-man.  

You pay for point for someone like Fox but not a mostly stay at home defenseman like Trouba.  Trouba brings a lot more than just P/GP

Stevens was a career 0.56 P/GP player who posted 60+ four times and 50+ eight times in his career.

Trobua is a a career 0.42 P/GP player who scored 50 points exactly once, in a career year, right before the trade.

I love him as a player and agree that he's arguably the modern day Stevens, stylistically, but he's always going to fall short of making "right" by that $8 million price tag. In an ideal world, he's making $5.5–6 million per.

• Bullseye 1

19 minutes ago, Phil said:

Give him PP1 time that's all he's missing.

same as all the others 🍩, Kakko, Miller, Chtil, even if it would definitely weaken one of the top PPs in the league!!

Trouba appreciation given here regardless.

Edited by jsrangers
  • LMFAO 1

30 minutes ago, jsrangers said:

same as all the others 🍩, Kakko, Miller, Chtil, even if it would definitely weaken one of the top PPs in the league!!

Well done!!  LOL

• LMFAO 1

It's not Trouba's fault he's paid 8M a year. That's the Rangers fault. If Kreider was making 8M a year we'd be all over him for doing nothing except scoring. But he's not, he's making six. 

Trouba does everything but score, yet here we are. Money buys goals, not everything else, is what common opinion is. 

The thing is, when you don't have "everything else" around, scoring doesn't matter, and Trouba quite literally does everything else. I've never minded his contract for that reason, although I would agree that everything in the first year and a half or so was really, really bad. You have to pay for something in this league and Trouba is something, even if that's not always what you pay for.  

1 hour ago, jsrangers said:

In place of who, Fox or Zibanejad? He's never getting PP1 time here as long as Fox exists as a Ranger IMO.

Just now, Phil said:

In place of who, Fox or Zibanejad? He's never getting PP1 time here as long as Fox exists as a Ranger IMO.

I feel like I appreciate Fox on the pp more than any other time during a game. He is pretty good keeping the puck in, cycling, making some nice moves and a shot once in a while. Kreider and Fox are integral parts of PP1.

48 minutes ago, Phil said:

None of the above, ever.

Point being a common answer or solution here is insert player X onto PP1 and he would miraculously add 30+ points to his scorecard, totally assuming player X would be as good as the 5 that are out there which is top 2 or 3 in the league as a group. (Example Laf can be just as good as Kreider in front of the net well just because, plus anybody can do it) Kakko too would somehow just rack up points so why not throw Trouba/Miller there as well?  I wouldn't change up PP1 at all and I would play them the huge majority of the 2:00 mins as much as possible. It ain't broke don't fix it.

It was a joke. 

• Applause 1

3 minutes ago, jsrangers said:

None of the above, ever.

Point being a common answer or solution here is insert player X onto PP1 and he would miraculously add 30+ points to his scorecard, totally assuming player X would be as good as the 5 that are out there which is top 2 or 3 in the league as a group. (Example Laf can be just as good as Kreider in front of the net well just because, plus anybody can do it) Kakko too would somehow just rack up points so why not throw Trouba/Miller there as well?  I wouldn't change up PP1 at all and I would play them the huge majority of the 2:00 mins as much as possible. It ain't broke don't fix it.

It was a joke. 

truth-my.gif

And totally agree — this idea of "just put X on PP1 and all is solved" is nonsense.

• LMFAO 1