• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

One Two Three

BrooksBurner

Breathe.

Injuries and stretches like this are why you take points where you can get them this early, no matter what they look like. The Rangers were able to take a lot of points, even if it was early fool’s gold led by a few guys playing at an unsustainable pace. Panarin, Gus, and Quick in particular. Only Quick has kept up the initial pace, but he’s just being used as a part timer so the impact is limited.

Yes, there was way too quick of a buy in that a coach makes that big of a difference so quickly. It was unwise to assume the team is fixed three or four weeks into the season. We’ve seen this team streak before. Post helmet throw anyone? Did we forget so soon? Now we’re seeing what they’ve commonly done for the last several years, which is crater defensively and look pretty clueless for long stretches at a time. You don’t shake that over training camp and a month when it’s been years of it that needs fixing. That doesn’t absolve Igor by the way. Not by a longshot, but his issues aren’t long term or run as deep.

You need at least a full season to better evaluate what a coach can implement and apply to the current roster. Have I personally thought more than a coach is required? Yes, and I still do, but we have to give a fair shake for Lavi too. While it still remains an unlikely task, it’s never been an impossible one. He deserves time before judgement. We shouldn’t overreact to this negative streak just like we shouldn’t have overreacted to the positive streak.

This is also the most injuries/abscences from lineup I can remember. You can lose a Kakko or a Chytil or now a Miller for a spell and not miss a step, especially Kakko, but cumulatively it’s a lot to replace with multiple bodies replacing them. It’s not about making excuses here. It doesn’t excuse looking clueless or appearing to lack effort, but it is realty. We are hurting. You can only lose so many bodies at one time.

Let’s step off the ledge and breathe a little. There’s a lot of season to go.

• Like 3
  • Cheers 1
  • Believe 1

12 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

We definitely got spoiled being relatively healthy the last two years or so. That very rarely happens for any NHL team. It's too bad the points haven't continued to come for Laf, because the effort is still there and he's still looking like a player.

Yeah, I expect Laf to get some flak again soon. Since the Panarin line is the only one that has really produced anything of note at even strength this year, it’s as noticeable as ever when they don’t. The finger will point towards Laf first because it’s the easiest thing to do, but lines will always have slumps and periods of ineffectiveness. Other lines should be making it less noticeable. Ebbs and flows.

I feel like it's about time to shake the lines up a little bit. Might as well try something new because what they have has gone stale with their lack of depth. There's only so much this team can do with both Wheeler and Bonino in the top 9 so change that.

Panarin -  Trocheck - Vesey

Cuylle - Zibanejad - Lafreniere

Kreider - Brodzinski - Wheeler

Goodrow - Bonino - Pitlick

• Like 1
  • Bullseye 1

52 minutes ago, Drew a Penalty said:

I feel like it's about time to shake the lines up a little bit. Might as well try something new because what they have has gone stale with their lack of depth. There's only so much this team can do with both Wheeler and Bonino in the top 9 so change that.

I’m pro-“get Bonino out of the top 9”, that’s for sure.

• Like 1
  • Keeps it 100 1

2 hours ago, Drew a Penalty said:

Agree with this. Seems like the "magic" between Panarin and Lafreniere was mostly just Panarin. I'd sign up for these lines, just to get Bonino out of the top nine and CK away from MZ. 

• Like 2
  • TroCheckmark 1

13 minutes ago, RJWantsTheCup said:

Islanders are hot.  They've won 4 in a row and are suddenly in 2nd place only 4 points behind us.  Don't think they'll stay in 2nd, but it's been a weird start to the season in the standings in the metro.

Their PP has been on fire and their goaltending has been as good if not better than ours.

As much as I would like to consider them a joke, I think theyre a better team than most people give them credit for.

• TroCheckmark 1

33 minutes ago, Br4d said:

One of the things to realize is that when the Rangers win lately it is most likely by 1 goal and when they lose they get their asses kicked.  One of those things is a product of fickle luck and the other is not.

I've said this before. They don't lose close games, and when they lose it's usually a blowout. But I wouldn't say they only win by 1. They just beat LA by 3. 

50 minutes ago, RJWantsTheCup said:

Islanders are hot.  They've won 4 in a row and are suddenly in 2nd place only 4 points behind us.  Don't think they'll stay in 2nd, but it's been a weird start to the season in the standings in the metro.

I had them making the playoffs. I think they were being slept on too much. They almost pushed a good Canes team to 7 games last year. They are good down the middle. They have a world class goalie and he hasn’t even been playing well yet, just like Shesterkin. I wouldn’t want that roster long term, but they have a chance to put together a couple of good seasons where they go deep in the playoffs.

58 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

I had them making the playoffs. I think they were being slept on too much. They almost pushed a good Canes team to 7 games last year. They are good down the middle. They have a world class goalie and he hasn’t even been playing well yet, just like Shesterkin. I wouldn’t want that roster long term, but they have a chance to put together a couple of good seasons where they go deep in the playoffs.

This describes the Rangers almost to a T.

• Like 1