• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Could Benefit From Patrik Laine Addition

RangersLEETCH

Probably no way.  How do you accommodate his cap number in the time frame that it shares with all the other larger contracts on the Rangers?

Assuming you work around the general problem from this year through '26 how do you make it work this season?

lol. 

1 hour ago, RangersLEETCH said:

Saw this article and I’m saying no way. However, read a little bit deeper and it’s possible. Most likely doubtful but then again one never knows! What do the Rangers family of fans think?? 

Ranger Ed 

https://thehockeywriters.com/rangers-could-benefit-patrik-laine-addition/

He really doesn't fit in with what we are trying to do and burns bridges wherever he goes. Laviolette didn't get along with a Kuznetsov type player so I highly doubt he Laine would be any different.

It seems more of a clickbait article than anything else but nice on your part to bring it here for a discussion. Cheers!

The guy who wrote it works for the Hockey Writers, he’s written about other NHL teams also

ao he’s definitely not an idiot. 

He's a blogger. He's not reporting anything credible and his ideas in this piece are baseless. 

It’s not a Facebook post. It’s a written article from a legitimate hockey organization. 

There are posters on this site who’ve written for the Hockey Writers. It’s a blog not an organization. It’s not at all akin to reading from Brooks or Mercogliano who are actually plugged in and have team sources. Anyone on the Hockey Writers has as much team access as any of us.

The only way I take Laine is if the trade is full retention and we only give up wheeler. 

guys the definition of a steely player who has no concept of defense. Effort has been questioned on more than one occasion too. The exact kind of player we need less of, not more. 

28 minutes ago, Drew a Penalty said:

There are posters on this site who’ve written for the Hockey Writers. It’s a blog not an organization. It’s not at all akin to reading from Brooks or Mercogliano who are actually plugged in and have team sources. Anyone on the Hockey Writers has as much team access as any of us.

The only thing Vince is plugged into is the menu at Olive Garden. The Post is the de facto source for Rangers hockey.

• LOL 1

54 minutes ago, Drew a Penalty said:

I see your point and I agree.. Although Larry Brooks has been writing for the New York Post for years he’s been wrong on a lot of his write ups. Particularly last year when he paraded about signing Patrick Kane. He was a huge advocate of getting him to the Rangers and look what happened. 
It will be interesting come trade deadline to see what the Rangers will do. 

Aside from the fact that this guy smells like a locker room cancer, he is a reluctant defender, at best. If we bring in any RW, which I dont advise, as the chemistry we have at the moment is working well, it should be tank. With a 5MM cap hit and on a one year contract he is the perfect RW rental IMO. I loved Vlad's game when he was here for that brief period.

29 minutes ago, RangersLEETCH said:

I see your point and I agree.. Although Larry Brooks has been writing for the New York Post for years he’s been wrong on a lot of his write ups. Particularly last year when he paraded about signing Patrick Kane. He was a huge advocate of getting him to the Rangers and look what happened. 
It will be interesting come trade deadline to see what the Rangers will do. 

Brooks might be wrong from time to time, but what separates him from average Joes is that he actually has connections. He has access to the locker room, the organization, to a number of industry professionals that you don't have access to if you're not already within that sphere. I can rattle off a number of things Brooks has been wrong on, but I could also list a lot of things he's been bang on about. The nature of his relationship with the organization as an accredited member of the media is the difference between him and any guy on Twitter who ends up writing for the Hockey Writers.

Writing for the Hockey Writers doesn't mean you don't know anything, unless you're @Phil, but it does mean you're more than likely operating with the same information that the greater public is. No one within the industry has connected Laine to the Rangers of late, the Rangers do not have a cap situation that permits them to easily trade for Laine, and Barclay Goodrow has a 15-team No Trade Clause which would almost certainly see him waiving any trade to Columbus. Columbus would ask for far more than Goodrow.

There's nothing wrong with thinking that Laine is someone who the Rangers should pursue, however, it's not a realistic scenario that is supported by any information out there.

• LOL 1

I get that maybe it’s fun speculation. 
But it’s not at all realistic.

Theres a massive cap hit there for 2 more seasons.

Plus they’re going to want a pretty nice package for him in exchange and you’d be subtracting from the existing roster in all likelihood to acquire him. 

1 minute ago, Drew a Penalty said:

Brooks might be wrong from time to time, but what separates him from average Joes is that he actually has connections. He has access to the locker room, the organization, to a number of industry professionals that you don't have access to if you're not already within that sphere. I can rattle off a number of things Brooks has been wrong on, but I could also list a lot of things he's been bang on about. The nature of his relationship with the organization as an accredited member of the media is the difference between him and any guy on Twitter who ends up writing for the Hockey Writers.

Writing for the Hockey Writers doesn't mean you don't know anything, unless you're @Phil, but it does mean you're more than likely operating with the same information that the greater public is. No one within the industry has connected Laine to the Rangers of late, the Rangers do not have a cap situation that permits them to easily trade for Laine, and Barclay Goodrow has a 15-team NTC which would almost certainly see him waiving any trade to Columbus. Columbus would ask for far more than Goodrow.

There's nothing wrong with thinking that Laine is someone who the Rangers should pursue, however, it's not a realistic scenario that is supported by any information out there.

Aside from that, it was obviously written by a homer.

This open is completely tinted blue:

There is no denying that the New York Rangers are the best team in the NHL this season. Their play out of the gate to start the 2023-24 campaign has been close to perfect, and they show no signs of slowing down. They have little to no holes in their game.

Seriously? Close to perfect? No holes? Come on.

There is nothing about this that makes sense:

Laine has a hefty contract valued at $8.7 million per season and is on that deal until it expires after the 2025-26 season. While the Rangers could wait until they’ve accrued cap space and make a deal at the trade deadline for Laine, they’d still have to find $2.2 million to move out before being able to afford him if they chose to go that route. If that’s what they decide to do, it’d be a no-brainer to try and move Barclay Goodrow‘s contract out with a prospect and a couple of draft picks in exchange for Laine.

Where is he getting $2.2M from? And yes, it's a no brainer to try and trade a 4th liner for a 1st liner...But the world doesn't work like that and Goody most certainly has CBJ on his NT list.

His bio says he writes content for the Oilers, Caps and Rangers, and his content is full of one sided deals that benefit those teams and make no sense for the other side. This piece is no different.

7 minutes ago, Pete said:

Aside from that, it was obviously written by a homer.

This open is completely tinted blue:

Seriously? Close to perfect? No holes? Come on.

There is nothing about this that makes sense:

Where is he getting $2.2M from? And yes, it's a no brainer to try and trade a 4th liner for a 1st liner...But the world doesn't work like that and Goody most certainly has CBJ on his NT list.

His bio says he writes content for the Oilers, Caps and Rangers, and his content is full of one sided deals that benefit those teams and make no sense for the other side. This piece is no different.

He's operating under the assumption that the Rangers have 6.5M in cap space to work with, which is really just an inflated number while Chytil and Kakko are on LTIR. So even in this fantasy, you'd have to make the assumption both of those players are out for the season.

• Bullseye 1

6 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

He's operating under the assumption that the Rangers have 6.5M in cap space to work with, which is really just an inflated number while Chytil and Kakko are on LTIR. So even in this fantasy, you'd have to make the assumption both of those players are out for the season.

Bingo. Shit makes no sense.

It would fit nicely in The Post. 

• LMFAO 1

1 hour ago, Drew a Penalty said:

Writing for the Hockey Writers doesn't mean you don't know anything, unless you're @Phil, but it does mean you're more than likely operating with the same information that the greater public is. No one within the industry has connected Laine to the Rangers of late, the Rangers do not have a cap situation that permits them to easily trade for Laine, and Barclay Goodrow has a 15-team No Trade Clause which would almost certainly see him waiving any trade to Columbus. Columbus would ask for far more than Goodrow.

...no, no, you had that right.

• Keeps it 100 1

3 hours ago, Drew a Penalty said:

Like Adam fuckin Herman (what a douche)