• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Welcome to the Hall of Fame: Henrik 'the King' Lundqvist!!!

Ozzy

5 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

Arguably? No. He's on the Mt. Rushmore of Rangers greats. Definitely someone cutting onions while watching his speech last night. 😭

Also, Wayne Gretzky looks like he's made out of plastic now.

Fixed!

3 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

He was a rock star from his first start at MSG until he retired. The fans loved him immediately. The 'HEN-RIK!' chants began almost immediately. 

I swear to God I remember it like it was yesterday. We had a Saturday night game vs. Atlanta and he was unreal. So was the team. They started chanting his last name that night, then it turned to Henrik, which really stuck. It was the night he got named first star and came out and did like a lap around the whole Garden. That was such a fun time to be a Rangers fan.

Just now, RichieNextel305 said:

I swear to God I remember it like it was yesterday. We had a Saturday night game vs. Atlanta and he was unreal. So was the team. They started chanting his last name that night, then it turned to Henrik, which really stuck. It was the night he got named first star and came out and did like a lap around the whole Garden. That was such a fun time to be a Rangers fan.

It really was. I loved that team. I can't stress that enough. After the first couple of weeks or so of that year I was like, 'Yeah, we're back'. We had just been in the doldrums for so long, it was an amazing feeling.

8 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

It really was. I loved that team. I can't stress that enough. After the first couple of weeks or so of that year I was like, 'Yeah, we're back'. We had just been in the doldrums for so long, it was an amazing feeling.

Yep. We had just gone a year without hockey, 8 years without a playoff game and now we were entering a season many expected us to be dead last in the league. Everyone talked about how Jagr had lost his love for the game and he shut everyone up. And Henrik burst onto the scene and it was wild to watch. All of that, plus finally giving the kids in the system a chance and watching them hustle every night and blossom, it was just great to go to MSG. Yeah, they ran out of gas at the end of that year and lost the division and got trounced by Jersey in the playoffs. That sucked, but even as bad as that was, we all knew we were finally back in the conversation.

• TroCheckmark 1

5 minutes ago, Albatrosss said:

But is he better than Richter?

Not that this probably the place for this debate, but Lundqvist is a first ballot hall of famer and Richter still isn't in and is questionable to get in.  There really is no discussion who had the better career.  Only thing Richter has is the Stanley Cup win over Lundqvist.

4 minutes ago, RJWantsTheCup said:

Not that this probably the place for this debate, but Lundqvist is a first ballot hall of famer and Richter still isn't in and is questionable to get in.  There really is no discussion who had the better career.  Only thing Richter has is the Stanley Cup win over Lundqvist.

and Lundqvist is prettier.

but i should've clarified, is Lundqvist better than Richter to us?  

Talent wise, not only is Lundqvist better than Richter, Lundqvist may be one of the best of all-time. If we are talking about pure talent at the position, Lundqvist is in the category of the elite of the elite. And that is not a knock on Richter. There were times where Richter was in such a zone, particularly in big spots, where he was absolutely unbeatable. The 1997 series against the Devils was a fucking clinic. Obviously 1994, and the 1996 World Cup. Those were times where he was just outrageous. I think the thing that separates Henrik from a lot of people is the consistency. Whether the team around him was bad or good, Henrik was the symbol of consistency. And the consistency was in the upper echelon of the league. A lot of people will throw the Cup argument at him. But it takes a team to win the Cup, and unfortunately none of the teams around him could get it done. But that doesn’t diminish his accolades individually whatsoever.

• Bullseye 1
  • Keeps it 100 4

3 hours ago, RichieNextel305 said:

Lots of memories came back last night watching him. I think we all remember him coming up, his first few starts where it seemed like the only question was whether or not he’d allow a single goal or not. He really embraced New York and became a rock star here. So happy for him. Beyond deserving of the Hall. 

Watching the ceremony last night brought back a lot of memories of all those close fought playoff series, all the one-goal games, the tension of trying to win just one more game, all with Henrik in-goal keeping us in the fight. Which in hindsight I wish I hadn't taken for granted. 

• Bullseye 1

3 minutes ago, Karan said:

Watching the ceremony last night brought back a lot of memories of all those close fought playoff series, all the one-goal games, the tension of trying to win just one more game, all with Henrik in-goal keeping us in the fight. Which in hindsight I wish I hadn't taken for granted. 

It's very easy to get spoiled with great goaltending for long periods of time. As Rangers fans, we've been pretty fortunate to have that, at the very least. Richter to Lundqvist to Shesterkin. Look at what's going on in Edmonton for years. The Flyers have always struggled to find good goaltending until now, and we've been blessed with decades and generations of it. It's everything else that's usually lacking one way or another. lol

4 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

It's very easy to get spoiled with great goaltending for long periods of time. As Rangers fans, we've been pretty fortunate to have that, at the very least. Richter to Lundqvist to Shesterkin. Look at what's going on in Edmonton for years. The Flyers have always struggled to find good goaltending until now, and we've been blessed with decades and generations of it. It's everything else that's usually lacking one way or another. lol

It kinda brings into focus the delicate balance required to roster a team that has solid players at key positions.  It's a damn juggling act in the salary cap era.  It's almost impossible to pay goalies north oth of $8 million and still have a solid lineup for all 4 lines to compete at the ECF and Stanley Cup Finals level.

GM's nowadays have to rely on over producing ELC's, and PTO players sometimes to be that "X" factor.

Gustavsson comes to mind here, along with Cuylle. 

Anyway...back to the topic at hand:  @Albatrosss...Richter was a very good goalie....and a Champion at that.

The King was simply more talented.  I'd even wager a bet Richter would tell you the same.  😉