• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Bold Prediction: Rangers Will Re-acquire Anthony Duclair

Phil

The Rangers trade for an old friend — no, not that guy

No three-peat for Tyler Motte, no flashy return for Patrick Kane (pure guess, he signs with the rival Hurricanes next month). No, we’ll go further back and say the Rangers swing a deal in February for Anthony Duclair, who had a decent playoff run with the Florida Panthers in the spring and signed a one-year deal with the lottery-bound San Jose Sharks this season. Duclair would give the Rangers some speed on the wing that they’ll need in a potential playoff matchup with the New Jersey Devils or Carolina Hurricanes and won’t cost a ton.

https://theathletic.com/4942457/2023/10/09/rangers-2023-24-season-artemi-panarin/

I still think Kane can be a good add for this team. He wants to be here, he wants to wear the jersey and he wants to do it healthy. If a spot happened to open up in relatively short order, and he wanted back in, I would be interested in a reunion. He wasn’t close to 100% last year, as we all know. He isn’t washed, he isn’t done. He’s still capable of being a game changer. My big fear is him ending up where Staple mentions: Carolina. 

Kane's going to Buffalo.

Duclair feels like the "right" kinda move if/when — really, when — Laugh fails and ends up back at 3LW and eventually healthy scratched (we all know it's coming).

San Jose can be a one-stop shop, in fact, for the depth pieces the Rangers might need for a playoff run. Duke. Labanc. Maybe Luke Kunin?

Oh, and Mike Grier is their GM now. Bodes well for our chances to get what we want.

1 hour ago, Phil said:

Kane's going to Buffalo.

Duclair feels like the "right" kinda move if/when — really, when — Laugh fails and ends up back at 3LW and eventually healthy scratched (we all know it's coming).

San Jose can be a one-stop shop, in fact, for the depth pieces the Rangers might need for a playoff run. Duke. Labanc. Maybe Luke Kunin?

Oh, and Mike Grier is their GM now. Bodes well for our chances to get what we want.

Also bodes that we won't get a discount.

Edited by Pete

20 minutes ago, Pete said:

Also bodes that we won't get a discount.

If we're a desperate buyer like we've been the last couple of years we won't get a discount.

Kids gotta step up because no franchise can afford to rent two top 6 RW's every year.  It's just not doable over the long-term.

• Keeps it 100 1

I don't have an issue with Duclair, but I'd still like to at least let this season play out and see who pans out and who doesn't.  I'm really hoping that we can get some serious mileage out of Chytil, Kakko, and Laff.

As you guys have said so many times before.  This season and this team really needs these kids to take THAT NEXT step....the real step forward, and hopefully it's this season.

14 minutes ago, The Dude said:

I think it's a fit if they are desperate after Lafrenière falls to pieces. But he doesn't seem like a Drury type of guy. I would think his fancy stats stink. He's always so inconsistent. 

I see Pat Maroon in the Rangers future. 

I mean, maybe, but not for this role. Maroon doesn't even play RW and his production is a pure fourth-liner.

In a "break glass in case of emergency" scenario, I'd say, sure why not.

I just don't wanna put the cart before the horse just yet.  We have a long way to go just to get to December!!  Who knows, maybe we'll just need Trouba to throw another helmet!!  LOL

He could potentially be a nice add.

Also it’s hard to believe he just turned 28. 

He would definitely give them more speed and he legitimately has 30-goal scoring punch. Can also play either wing and is good player on the PP who is another shoot first player, and he would fit nicely on a second PP.

And he’s only making $4M, but with a cap hit of $3M. 

There’s value there. 

But he’s got to be healthy.

Coming off a major injury that he clearly wasn’t all the way back from and he’s missed time in the past with some other stuff too.

Edited by RangersIn7

5 hours ago, RangerDanger said:

Hasn't Duclair been injured like every season he's played? At least, it feels like that.

He’s missed roughly 130ish games to injury over his career, nearly half last year with the Achilles injury.

He looked better in the 20 playoff games he played then he did in the 20 games he was able to come back and play late in the regular season. But he wasn’t at full strength or full speed yet. 

4 hours ago, Phil said:

I mean, maybe, but not for this role. Maroon doesn't even play RW and his production is a pure fourth-liner.

I should have stated that I meant in another role. 

In a perfect world,  Lafrenière is gone, Cuylle or Othmann slot up/stay on 3rd line LW . 

They need a bit more grit/ mean personality already and Maroon is mean AF, cheap and a proven performer come playoff time, which I think is something Drury is going to prioritize come deadline.  

I think a RW shakes out to be available when some contender falls apart or a player wants out of a shit hole like Winnipeg or Arizona. Maybe Buffalo falls on their face and Buffalos.. Something a bit better and to Drurys or Laviolettes's liking will be attainable.