• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Barry Melrose Stepping Away From ESPN After Being Diagnosed With Parkinsons

45 minutes ago, RJWantsTheCup said:

Hearing more and more famous people with Parkinsons.  Being someone who has recently been diagnosed with the early stages of Parkinsons this hits home.

Very sorry to hear that, man. But yeah, watching one of my favorites since I was a kid, Michael J. Fox, slowly waste away from it, is really sad.

6 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

Very sorry to hear that, man. But yeah, watching one of my favorites since I was a kid, Michael J. Fox, slowly waste away from it, is really sad.

Thanks.  My neurologist says Michael J. Fox is not the typical Parkinsons case.   But it is very sad what Parkinsons has done to him.

1 hour ago, RJWantsTheCup said:

Michael J Fox according to my neurologist (who is suppose to be one of the leading Parkinson’s Dr’s in the country) is the result of over medication and exploratory meds.  

Got it, so does that make him look better or worse? He kind of looks like I would expect somebody with Parkinson's to have.

But I also read he intentionally does not take his medicine during certain interviews because he's trying to call attention to the illness, so he is in public when his symptoms are at its worst. I get why he does it, but it's kind of dishonest. 

4 hours ago, RJWantsTheCup said:

Hearing more and more famous people with Parkinsons.  Being someone who has recently been diagnosed with the early stages of Parkinsons this hits home.

Stay strong RJ, neurological conditions are still even after all these years not full understood according to some of the best Dr's I've met with over the years.  Always wishing you the best. 💪 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Pete said:

Got it, so does that make him look better or worse? He kind of looks like I would expect somebody with Parkinson's to have.

But I also read he intentionally does not take his medicine during certain interviews because he's trying to call attention to the illness, so he is in public when his symptoms are at its worst. I get why he does it, but it's kind of dishonest. 

He looks much worse than the normal patient.  

1 hour ago, jsrangers said:

Stay strong RJ, neurological conditions are still even after all these years not full understood according to some of the best Dr's I've met with over the years.  Always wishing you the best. 💪 

Thanks.  I’m still able to do all the things I normally do.  I just get tired faster and take longer to recover from

anything physical.  I just score high enough on the test for Parkinson’s to say I have it.  The lower the score the better.    One of the first signs of Parkinson’s is if your arm or arms don’t naturally swing while you walk.  

4 hours ago, RJWantsTheCup said:

Michael J Fox according to my neurologist (who is suppose to be one of the leading Parkinson’s Dr’s in the country) is the result of over medication and exploratory meds.  

Oh shit, I didn't even put two and two together that you might have also had it. My bad.

Glad to hear things are going mostly okay though. 

• Cheers 1

17 minutes ago, Pete said:

Oh shit, I didn't even put two and two together that you might have also had it. My bad.

Glad to hear things are going mostly okay though. 

Thanks, no worries.  I’m at the earliest stage.  For the most part it really doesn’t bother my so far.   Wish I didn’t have to take the 6 pills a day though

17 minutes ago, RJWantsTheCup said:

Thanks.  I’m still able to do all the things I normally do.  I just get tired faster and take longer to recover from

anything physical.  I just score high enough on the test for Parkinson’s to say I have it.  The lower the score the better.    One of the first signs of Parkinson’s is if your arm or arms don’t naturally swing while you walk.  

Damn dude. Don’t know what to say other I’m glad you scored low and I hope you have a good long while yet before symptoms affect you too much.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, BrooksBurner said:

Damn dude. Don’t know what to say other I’m glad you scored low and I hope you have a good long while yet before symptoms affect you too much.

Thanks.  Because of Michael J Fox Parkinson’s gets a much worse stigma than it probably should.   The key is catching it early and properly treating it.  

• Cheers 1

18 hours ago, RJWantsTheCup said:

As a genuine friend of yours, I'm very sorry to officially hear that. You know I'm around if you ever need a thing and we are keeping you out on game nights even if we have to use beer sippy cups. Love ya man. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

31 minutes ago, Keirik said:

As a genuine friend of yours, I'm very sorry to officially hear that. You know I'm around if you ever need a thing and we are keeping you out on game nights even if we have to use beer sippy cups. Love ya man. 

Much appreciated.   Ozzy can actually see now that he has contacts so we won't be able to make fun of him when he celebrates non goals or replays.  And I'm still allowed to drink in moderation while on my meds.

Edited by RJWantsTheCup
  • Like 2

30 minutes ago, Keirik said:

reason number 40,003,458,224,320,564,856,065,385,208,543,825 why I love you guys!!! 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RJWantsTheCup said:

Much appreciated.   Ozzy can actually see now that he has contacts so we won't be able to make fun of him when he celebrates non goals or replays.  And I'm still allowed to drink in moderation while on my meds.

I didn't realize where we were half the time...and not due to too many Jager shots, either.  I may even be able to see how many Crispy Creme's fat boy eats on the bench this season!!!

• Cheers 1