• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Coyotes Place Alex Galchenyuk on Unconditional Waivers for Purposes of Contract Termination; Will Enter NHL/NHLPA Assistance Program

Phil

17 minutes ago, RangersIn7 said:

He’s had a pretty regular and potentially severe substance abuse issue for a while now. It’s a well known fact within the league. 

Kid just needs help.

Well if that's the case then shame on all of the teams which didn't force him into rehab prior to this climax of events. He couldn't get out of his own way so some assistance could have really helped save his career.

Just now, jsm7302 said:

Well if that's the case then shame on all of the teams which didn't force him into rehab prior to this climax of events. He couldn't get out of his own way so some assistance could have really helped save his career.

You can’t really force people into rehab though 

22 minutes ago, jsm7302 said:

21 minutes ago, siddious said:

You can’t really force people into rehab though 

19 minutes ago, jsm7302 said:

Normally id agree but in professional sports, a contract can be held above their head to force their hand.

I worked at a rehab for many years.

No. You can’t force it.

But you can leverage it. 

And it doesn’t necessarily mean rehab.

In all honesty, what we have is the AA model, which in truth isn’t very successful, and hasn’t been changed in 90 years. There are new patterns of thought. 
The disease model of addiction isn’t an across the board thing. It’s actually a behavioral problem. There are also genetic factors to it. But many of those are based in personality traits. People breed similar people. 
And also… total abstinence forever isn’t the most reasonable thing. Because it’s not necessarily achievable. It’s too daunting a task.

Its about choices and discipline and habits.

Clearly he doesn’t possess those skills.

But you can learn them. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, RangersIn7 said:

I worked at a rehab for many years.

No. You can’t force it.

But you can leverage it. 

And it doesn’t necessarily mean rehab.

In all honesty, what we have is the AA model, which in truth isn’t very successful, and hasn’t been changed in 90 years. There are new patterns of thought. 
The disease model of addiction isn’t an across the board thing. It’s actually a behavioral problem. There are also genetic factors to it. But many of those are based in personality traits. People breed similar people. 
And also… total abstinence forever isn’t the most reasonable thing. Because it’s not necessarily achievable. It’s too daunting a task.

Its about choices and discipline and habits.

Clearly he doesn’t possess those skills.

But you can learn them. 

I’m sure you know more about it than i do. My only point was if he doesn’t wanna change or he doesn’t think he has a problem then forcing him to rehab likely isn’t gonna do much besides waste time.

Maybe losing a contract to the west team in the league is the wake up he needs.

13 minutes ago, siddious said:

I’m sure you know more about it than i do. My only point was if he doesn’t wanna change or he doesn’t think he has a problem then forcing him to rehab likely isn’t gonna do much besides waste time.

Maybe losing a contract to the west team in the league is the wake up he needs.

All you have to do is get him to look and see.

Its not that hard

1 hour ago, Pete said:

Hasn't that already been the case for him? He's on his 6th chance?

This is got to be it for him.  Already a veteran in the AHL who just signed a two way contract.  There comes a time when it is just over, and no one is interested in a fourth resurretion attempt.

• Bullseye 1

1 hour ago, Sod16 said:

This is got to be it for him.  Already a veteran in the AHL who just signed a two way contract.  There comes a time when it is just over, and no one is interested in a fourth resurretion attempt.

If he sets himself right over the next 6 months or so, and goes to the right place, he can absolutely be valuable to someone.

Dwight Gooden smoked crack.

And then less than a year later, he no-hit the ARod, Griffey, Buhner, Edgar, Mariners.

Apparently he threatened to kill the cop and used racial slurs against him

yes there is certainly a double standard based on how good you are but I have no issue with the Yotes decision to do this. 

coupled with the fact that he’s had attitude issues/apparently his family has been a bunch of interfering PoS’s he’s certainly not worth the headache