• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Lou Lamoriello Loses His Mind

• siddious changed the title to Lou Lamoriello Loses His Mind

What the. .? 

After a genius move to dump Bailey,  he does this? Sure. Lock up the goalie. But the backup too?  Engvall?Mayfield? 7 fucking years? 

Is he trying to get fired? 

Or are we coming up on some kind of CBA standoff in 26 where teams fight for more compliance buyouts that won't count against the cap? 

When these long term and nonsensical deals start being handed out, I get the sense that the GMs are expecting some kind of bail out in the future. Probably totally off base, but I find it odd.

Solid moves IMO except for the Varlamov signing. That’s just nonsense after signing your star goalie to a big (but great value) contract. I wish Igor was on that Sorokin contract.

Edit: Didn’t realize Mayfield was that old. That one is a yikes too. Mixed bag here. Sorokin/Engvall good moves IMO. The other two bad.

Edited by BrooksBurner

On 7/1/2023 at 6:45 PM, Phil said:

Sorokin deal just benchmarked any Igor extension. In fact, he's probably a $9M goalie now, minimum.

It totally did, but I, not so sure I’d ink that deal. There have just been far too many mid tier goalies that find playoff success for me to cap strap a team with a massive goalie contract. 

On 7/1/2023 at 6:16 PM, BrooksBurner said:

Solid moves IMO except for the Varlamov signing. That’s just nonsense after signing your star goalie to a big (but great value) contract. I wish Igor was on that Sorokin contract.

Edit: Didn’t realize Mayfield was that old. That one is a yikes too. Mixed bag here. Sorokin/Engvall good moves IMO. The other two bad.

That’s a lot of term for guys you can easily or semi-easily replace. Sorokin being the exception. 

and the benchmark for Igor was already high- didn’t need this signing to prove it. But yea he gonna get paid. That cap better to the fuck up.

On 7/2/2023 at 7:09 PM, Keirik said:

It totally did, but I, not so sure I’d ink that deal. There have just been far too many mid tier goalies that find playoff success for me to cap strap a team with a massive goalie contract. 

I 100% wouldn't. I'd rather roll the dice on one of the parade of perfectly serviceable goalies and use the extra money where it can actually WIN games.

• Like 1
  • Keeps it 100 1

22 hours ago, siddious said:

That’s a lot of term for guys you can easily or semi-easily replace. Sorokin being the exception. 

and the benchmark for Igor was already high- didn’t need this signing to prove it. But yea he gonna get paid. That cap better to the fuck up.

I think Engvall's deal is fantastic. He is a better player than Goodrow. $3Mx7 for him is a bargain. Long, yeah, but a bargain cap hit for several years.

24 minutes ago, Phil said:

I 100% wouldn't. I'd rather roll the dice on one of the parade of perfectly serviceable goalied and use the extra money where it can actually WIN games.

On 7/2/2023 at 7:09 PM, Keirik said:

Agree! only challenge is if your goalie say Igor for example is the primary reason you make the playoffs by playing out of his mind during the regular season. In that case I'm not sure you can gamble with a middle of the road goalie going into every season. If your team is carrying you into the dance than it's a different story. Depends on who's doing the heavy lifting, if it's more or less on the goalies shoulders you need a true stud to have any real chance.

Great. Rebuild, then. Goalies can't win games. No matter how elite. All they can do is keep bad teams hanging on long enough to hopefully step up.

If this team, with all this fucking money tied up in these stars can't do it, drop the dynamite.

• Cheers 1
  • Keeps it 100 1

3 hours ago, Phil said:

Great. Rebuild, then. Goalies can't win games. No matter how elite. All they can do is keep bad teams hanging on long enough to hopefully step up.

If this team, with all this fucking money tied up in these stars can't do it, drop the dynamite.

I think we share similar thoughts on how this teams stars align or don't when it comes to winning a cup. I also think when it comes to goaltending not being able to win games sure technically it's true because they're not scoring goals, but if they're GAA is unrealistically good as Igor was two years ago, it covers so many warts the team really doesn't have to do all that much to win, meaning for example scoring 2 goals vs 3 etc. I think that can be considered winning games while the rest of the team isn't even fully required to stand up. I'm not wording it right but hopefully the point is coming across. 

I don't think they're good enough to compete seriously for a cup as is even with Igor standing on his head. And this org will never truly lite the fuse on that dynamite. So I'll bet the ranch they'll continue on the same hamster wheel.  Sadly. 

• Keeps it 100 2