• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Who is Our Tough Guy?

skunkman

2 hours ago, RJWantsTheCup said:

Maroon was traded for a 7th rounder plus Tampa is retaining 20% of his salary.  

To Minnesota.

It all lines up perfectly for Drury to get Zuc & Maroon at the deadline. Fixes the top 6 RW issue and adds some toughness. Both have tons of experience.

Just need them to suck so badly that they'll tear it down midway trough the season now.

There's really no room for such a player right now.  I'm not dumping Goodrow to bring in a tough guy. Heck, I'm not even dumping Vesey for one. 

Trouba, Schneider, Goodrow, Harpur is the best they can do for the task and its not bad. Laviolette will have Goodrow on his game with the pest stuff. Schneider will be a year older and more experienced.  Trouba is Trouba. Heck, maybe Trocheck and Kreider can play a more in your face game than we've seen. 

I think the teams attitude is going to be a bit different and more lunch pail. That will make them harder and more pesky to play against. This is where Laviolette and his staff come in. If they can turn that switch on for this roster, its all they'll really need in terms of toughness. It'd be nice to have a heavy weight to back that up, but I don't think it's a necessity.  

Maybe when they trade Lafreniere that will clear a space for a rugged winger. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Flynn said:

This team didn't lose to Jersey because it wasn't tough enough. Adding a Tough Guy™️ is a solution in search of a problem.  

Maybe not physically (although they got skated around, beaten to most loose pucks, lost almost every battle that mattered) but having no heart would qualify as being mentally weak.  They didn't need a face puncher necessarily that night they needed about a dozen plus heart transplants.

• Bullseye 2
  • Keeps it 100 1

I'm really hoping a real honest to God structure will make a massive difference. Changing the "How" hopefully gets these fuckers playing with a bit more focus. Gallant was a gym teacher who rolled out some basketball's with the objective of keeping the class busy so he could drink his coffee and read the paper in peace. 

The old saying "don't confuse effort with results" applies here- I don't think they were lazy, or didn't try- they just had no real consistent program to conform to, and it led to a lot of freelance horseshit on both ends.

• CK20! 1

I think both were true and in spades, at minimum though even with the worst coach of all time behind the bench (Gallant is far far from that imo) or no coach for that matter as a team you can't lay that kind of egg in game 7 against your biggest rival in the playoffs, not with all the "leadership" type guys on the roster.  They weren't even in the game, never made it competitive, nobody stepped up. Sad.

As a result we get this, an incredibly painfully long offseason to go round and round.  Not how any of us drew it up going into last season.

Edited by jsrangers
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, Lord Al said:

Look for them to bring in a possible tough guy as a PTO during training camp. 

They just brought in 10 guys at the league minimum. I wouldn't look for them to be bringing in anyone on a PTO. 

The tough guy era is basically over.

I don’t know how, in the same paragraph, we can talk about being speedier and more skillful, and also mention how we need a tough guy.

I’d like a team of 12 Matthew Tkachuk’s 

But players like him are rare, and difficult to acquire.

Also… guys like Igor and Foxy, and Panarin…, they don’t exactly grow on trees either. 

How many times have we seen a tough guy win a fight, but then go minus-8 in 10 minutes of ice time over his next 12 games?, which then causes us all to bitch how that guy sucks at hockey.

I loved watching Boogaard thunder a guy and just kick his ass. I hated watching him get embarrassed and exploited in the interim between his impactful moments in games. 

You need hockey players that can play.

Most guys don’t fit into both bags. 

Edited by RangersIn7
  • Keeps it 100 1

Era of the tough guy who does nothing but tuff guy stuff is surely over.

teams are too good to allow a guy to take up a spot who does nothing to help the team win. 

like someone else said you. We’d guys like Tkachuk on this team which this playoffs showed is still a huge necessity. 

i know othman isn’t going to be Tkachuk good but I hope he can at least become a 2nd line guy who brings those elements for us. 

• Keeps it 100 1