• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Sign D Connor Mackey, Nikolas Brouillard to 1-year Deals

Phil

• Phil unpinned this topic
  • 6 months later...
11 minutes ago, phillyb said:

Nails the crossbar on his first shot attempt. 
Laid a big hit, faught a Tkachuk. 
Fucking love the guy already. 

I was expecting a train wreck last night with Trouba and Lindy out, Philly.

This guy was a HUGE surprise!  Looks pretty fundamentally good on D, too!  I usually defer to RJ for his defense input  😃

@RJWantsTheCup

Undrafted.  Slowly got to the point of playing 30 games in the NHL last year.  Might be a late bloomer.  If he can take off the opposition's star for five minutes every game, he can stick.

5 hours ago, Ozzy said:

I was expecting a train wreck last night with Trouba and Lindy out, Philly.

This guy was a HUGE surprise!  Looks pretty fundamentally good on D, too!  I usually defer to RJ for his defense input  😃

@RJWantsTheCup

Looked good enough to get another look but then again Jones looked good last night and we know what he’s been.  Del Zotto looked awesome in the alumni game today.  

• LMFAO 2

19 hours ago, Long live the King said:

He's not a kid.  He's 27.  It's super unrealistic to expect him to maintain how he played on a consistent basis.

27 is a kid to me, LLTK!  😃

I have a workboot that's 27!   (...I know, time for new workboots!!!)

8 minutes ago, Albatrosss said:

by the time they play their next game, it will all be forgotten

Haha. That had crossed my mind too, that the long layoff won't help. Hopefully I'm wrong. Either way, perhaps a long break and a new month starting is what this team needs. They're something like 11-12-2 since the beginning of December. This is has been a two-month long malaise.

2 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

Haha. That had crossed my mind too, that the long layoff won't help. Hopefully I'm wrong. Either way, perhaps a long break and a new month starting is what this team needs. They're something like 11-12-2 since the beginning of December. This is has been a two-month long malaise.

im hoping for Shesty's comeback and for Miller to finally pull the stick out of his ass

On 1/28/2024 at 11:28 AM, Ozzy said:

Hey @Drew a Penalty...If you get a chance, man...I wanted to get your input on the Mackey kid.  He looked like Will Cuylle, but as a defenseman.  I liked his game...albeit it's the first time I saw him play.

Sorry, I'm a little late here. As has been mentioned, Mackey is on the older side at 27, so the upside is limited, but what you get is a consistent depth defenseman with some grit. He's been one of Hartford's steadiest defenseman this season and is probably the more appropriate fit as the 7D over Jones. I don't want to overrate him but there's even a little more offense to his game than his stats would indicate. Hollowell, Brouillard, and Robertson all get powerplay time while Mackey receives none. He's low maintenance and high character which is exactly what you want out of a depth defenseman. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Keeps it 100 1

22 minutes ago, Drew a Penalty said:

Sorry, I'm a little late here. As has been mentioned, Mackey is on the older side at 27, so the upside is limited, but what you get is a consistent depth defenseman with some grit. He's been one of Hartford's steadiest defenseman this season and is probably the more appropriate fit as the 7D over Jones. I don't want to overrate him but there's even a little more offense to his game than his stats would indicate. Hollowell, Brouillard, and Robertson all get powerplay time while Mackey receives none. He's low maintenance and high character which is exactly what you want out of a depth defenseman. 

I really like this guy.  27 is kinda in the neighborhood of when defenseman start to "get it" I think, but his game looked pretty solid to me.  Anything he can chip in for offense is basically gravy, because we have the guys for that.

Being down Harpur all season I thought really hurt us depth-wise, and it looks like this guy may just be what we could use.

Just the thought of him taking on Brady, their leader....in Ottawa, in a game we really wanted badly, goes a LONG way in my book.  Not to mention I think he got the better of him.  The guy plays tough and hard, and we really need guys tha can play tough and hard!!

I'm hoping we keep him up here and maybe we can find a home for Zac in a deal.  I think the kid can be decent in the right setting, but it ain't gonna be here.

Thanks for the feedback, Drew!  I knew you'd know the deal on this one for sure!! 

• Cheers 1

7 hours ago, Drew a Penalty said:

...and like that, I'm starting the Connor Mackey fan club. Come on, come all! 🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸

• CK20! 2

2 hours ago, BrooksBurner said:

Gus-Fox

Lindgren-Trouba

Mackey-Schneider

We're in two threads here, but get me another NHL defenseman with playoff experience and I'll be a lot more open to the idea. What you're showing me here is an OK regular season experiment, but it's not something I have a lot of trust in because it's one injury away from disaster.