• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Pens Acquire Reilly Smith From Golden Knights for 3rd-round Pick

Phil

Steal for the Pens. They still have $15 million to fill out their roster. They are probably on their way to leap frogging the Rangers (while Crosby/Malkin are still effective) if I’m being honest. @Phil you mentioned Ullmark to NJD, but what about the Pens here? I think they are a threat to make a move like that also.

The Rangers are probably falling out of the top 3 in the Metro right now.

Edited by BrooksBurner
  • VINNY! 1
  • Keeps it 100 1

8 minutes ago, Phil said:

Maybe even missing the playoffs. In my estimation, they're a wild card team at best.

Based on what? They are easily a playoff team with Zib, Panarin, CK, Fox, Miller, alone... Add in Shesty and it's a lock. Then add structure. They're fine. 

• Bullseye 2
  • Keeps it 100 1

12 minutes ago, Phil said:

Maybe even missing the playoffs. In my estimation, they're a wild card team at best.

I don’t see a complete playoff miss. Probably still a 100 point team, even after adjusting for tougher interdivision games, but right now my money would be on a WC team and a tougher road. It’s not where you want to be, that’s for sure. Florida runs happen once in a blue moon.

22 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

Steal for the Pens. They still have $15 million to fill out their roster. They are probably on their way to leap frogging the Rangers (while Crosby/Malkin are still effective) if I’m being honest. @Phil you mentioned Ullmark to NJD, but what about the Pens here? I think they are a threat to make a move like that also.

The Rangers are probably falling out of the top 3 in the Metro right now.

I think the Rangers window just f'n got sealed shut w/ the Devils moves, Pens probably going for one last run....Fucking contracts, flat cap, and lack of progress from the rugrats killed the Rangers the last couple of years

• Keeps it 100 1

If our roster is not a stanley cup contender then we are talking about the wrong kind of deals in the other forum. The right kind of deals are not Reilly Smith, in that case. It's gut our roster of our top 6, like the Flames are being forced to do. 

I have no excuses for the talent on our team. They are every bit as good as everyone in the league and have no excuse not to win.

Just now, Blue Heaven said:

I think the Rangers window just f'n got sealed shut w/ the Devils moves, Pens probably going for one last run....Fucking contracts, flat cap, and lack of progress from the rugrats killed the Rangers the last couple of years

The Rangers stars blew an incredible opportunity. Boston, Toronto l, and Tampa got taken out. They would have had an injured Carolina squad and a hot but overachieving Florida squad. They just had to show up to the rink in round 1 and earn their money. Sadness.

• Bullseye 2
  • Keeps it 100 1

8 minutes ago, Pete said:

Based on what? They are easily a playoff team with Zib, Panarin, CK, Fox, Miller, alone... Add in Shesty and it's a lock. Then add structure. They're fine. 

I think the doom and gloom crowd are having a major overreaction

Pens are not suddenly a good team because they got Reilly Smith....

I think this forum could elect a coaching staff and get this current Rangers squad into the playoffs. What we do when we get there would be a different story. 

We'll compete for the division still but more likely a 2-3 seed again

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • Keeps it 100 1

9 minutes ago, Pete said:

Based on a fuck load of pessimism and my complete lack of faith in the construction of the roster in spite of what I agree is a clear upgrade in coaching.

1 hour ago, Phil said:

Based on a fuck load of pessimism and my complete lack of faith in the construction of the roster in spite of what I agree is a clear upgrade in coaching.

Based on ur a poopy head. 

2 hours ago, jsm7302 said:

We NMC'd ourselves into a huge step back this season.

Yep, the entire Devils roster has Palat, Haula and Hamilton with NTC. Any big names missing on there? We fucking hand that shit out like Syphilis on the 42nd street corner.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Sod16 said:

If the Pens have cap space we should be broaching a deal for Trocheck with both the Pens and the player.  Chytil has got to be a No. 2, and Trocheck is too expensive for a No. 3.

Aside from the PR of bringing in a local guy to play for them, there's literally 0 reason for the Pens to take him.

Aging squad wouldn't want a 29 year old with 6 more years left on his contract.

When the cap goes up significantly in a few years we'll have an easier time moving his contract somewhere, but for now, I see no reason Pittsburgh would want him

2 hours ago, BlairBettsBlocksEverything said:

Aside from the PR of bringing in a local guy to play for them, there's literally 0 reason for the Pens to take him.

Aging squad wouldn't want a 29 year old with 6 more years left on his contract.

When the cap goes up significantly in a few years we'll have an easier time moving his contract somewhere, but for now, I see no reason Pittsburgh would want him

Unfortunately, you are probably right.  It's the only outside chance of moving that contract in the near future, so it's worth a call.

• Like 1