• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Sign Jonathan Quick to 1-Year/$825K Deal

Phil

They probably can't afford Halak. They're gonna need a veteran backup for $1M or less. Halak probably wants closer to the $1.5M he made last season. Fuck the Kings forever and ever, but whatever.

1 minute ago, LindG1000 said:

But Halak ain't fine with them

Just now, Phil said:

They probably can't afford Halak. They're gonna need a veteran backup for $1M or less. Halak probably wants closer to the $1.5M he made last season. Fuck the Kings forever and ever, but whatever.

I mean that contingent upon them getting him under contract.

I'm all for the cute story of a Rangers fan finally coming home, but Quick is pretty cooked. I don't know if there's much Allaire can do to help a goalie who was more reliant on his athleticism than positioning. This kind of feels like Pavelec 2.0. Quick will get them to the midway point and then it's probably gonna be Garand down the stretch.

7 minutes ago, Drew a Penalty said:

I'm all for the cute story of a Rangers fan finally coming home, but Quick is pretty cooked. I don't know if there's much Allaire can do to help a goalie who was more reliant on his athleticism than positioning. This kind of feels like Pavelec 2.0. Quick will get them to the midway point and then it's probably gonna be Garand down the stretch.

As long as the deal is buryable, I'm fine with it (and share the same concerns you have).

10 minutes ago, Drew a Penalty said:

I'd be ok with that.

But also I'd be ok with just giving Garand a shot. Bring in a veteran that would be ok in the AHL to compete with him for the job and see who wins it. 

• Applause 1

Halak is the ideal re-sign, but they’re gonna need him to take less than what he made last year. He was the perfect backup IMO and in an ideal world, would be in the same role again. But if he can make more elsewhere, he likely will go elsewhere.

Quick would be a good backup. And honestly, given that he grew up a Ranger fan, it would make sense for him to end his career here. If he’s willing to sign dirt cheap, he’d be an adequate replacement. Especially for a team like the Rangers that’s going to need to count almost every single penny.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, RichieNextel305 said:

Halak is the ideal re-sign, but they’re gonna need him to take less than what he made last year. He was the perfect backup IMO and in an ideal world, would be in the same role again. But if he can make more elsewhere, he likely will go elsewhere.

Quick would be a good backup. And honestly, given that he grew up a Ranger fan, it would make sense for him to end his career here. If he’s willing to sign dirt cheap, he’d be an adequate replacement. Especially for a team like the Rangers that’s going to need to count almost every single penny.

Would he, though? Being a fan of the Rangers growing up is demonstrably the best thing about him as a player at this point. Guy stinks.

3 minutes ago, Phil said:

Would he, though? Being a fan of the Rangers growing up is demonstrably the best thing about him as a player at this point. Guy stinks.

I mean, I’m not sure I’d quite count on him to be my teams starter for 65 games a year anymore. But I think in a lesser role for, say, $800K? I’d roll the dice he can be, at least, serviceable. I think it’s clear Drury wants a veteran to back Igor up. And Quick may be the one who comes cheapest.

I’d prefer Halak, obviously I think we all know I like Halak. I think he filled the role perfectly. But if we’re gonna be counting pennies here, he may get more elsewhere.

24 minutes ago, BlairBettsBlocksEverything said:

I'd be ok with that.

But also I'd be ok with just giving Garand a shot. Bring in a veteran that would be ok in the AHL to compete with him for the job and see who wins it. 

Garand had a good playoff stretch but he's not ready. They should give him at least half the season as a starter in Hartford.

He probably won't want to come to the Rangers anyway once he hears that it's going to cost $23 to drive into the city from Connecticut.

As many have said, seems like he's done.  Don't need another painful Marty St. Louis style exit.