• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Erik Karlsson Wants Trade

https://www.nhl.com/news/erik-karlsson-wants-to-be-traded-from-san-jose-sharks-to-stanley-cup-contender/c-345004584

NASHVILLE -- Erik Karlsson wants to be traded to a Stanley Cup contender, and the defenseman, a finalist for the Norris Trophy this season, is hopeful the San Jose Sharks can make that happen before next season.

"I've played with too many guys throughout my career that are amazing players and should be winners and should have won that never did," Karlsson said at the 2023 NHL Awards media day at Bridgestone Arena on Sunday. "I don't want to be that guy. I want to win. That's not to say that I'm going to win. I want an opportunity to win. If that opportunity is not in San Jose right now within my timeline, then that's just the unfortunate part of business. That's not to say that I don't like it there or they don't want me there or we don't want this to work. It's just that's just the way it is."

1 minute ago, Ozzy said:

Just sayin....almost the same player for 5 million less

Sure, I'll happily sign Gudas for a fraction of what Trouba makes, but good luck finding a taker for his deal (yet).

We'll probably be talking about Detroit (to go "home" and play with Copp again) as early as next summer.

1 minute ago, Phil said:

Sure, I'll happily sign Gudas for a fraction of what Trouba makes, but good luck finding a taker for his deal (yet).

We'll probably be talking about Detroit (to go "home" and play with Copp again) as early as next summer.

Nah, Big guy...we're stuck with that deal for at least another year.  I was just poking fun at Trouba because I'm bored and it's summer!!!  LOL

Trouba is a 6M not 8M player.  If trading him means retaining 2M or taking a fair size contract, there's little point to it.  I would only trade Trouba in a full dump: no retention, no unsavory contract in return, no sweatener.

4 minutes ago, Sod16 said:

Trouba is a 6M not 8M player.  If trading him means retaining 2M or taking a fair size contract, there's little point to it.  I would only trade Trouba in a full dump: no retention, no unsavory contract in return, no sweetener.

Sod, we're most likely going to have him for 1 more season before his "no move" becomes "limited", so we're going to have that deal in place for at least another season.  After that, all bets are off.

I really don't mind Trouba as a player, and I think he works with the right pairing, but he's no $8 million player in my book either! 

Let's see how Trouba plays under Laviolette.  I'm curious to see how a lot of players adapt to his system.  I'm hoping to be surprised.  We may even see some different pairings this season.

12 hours ago, Phil said:

Done deal.  Replace Trouba with a $5 million dollar guy and use the extra to resign Nylander.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/27/2023 at 12:50 PM, Sod16 said:

Trouba is a 6M not 8M player.  If trading him means retaining 2M or taking a fair size contract, there's little point to it.  I would only trade Trouba in a full dump: no retention, no unsavory contract in return, no sweatener.

Yup

If you look at the circumstances around the time he was traded for, that’s what it works out to.

He was making $5.5 in the 18-19

Had a career year, and had 1 year of RFA status with arb eligibility that summer

Had he stayed in Winnipeg and gone to arb he’d have gotten over 6.

On a long-term deal, with the Rangers, he should have gotten something in the 6.5 range. 

We’d all probably have been ok with that. 

Edited by RangersIn7

4 minutes ago, Drew a Penalty said:

A healthy Karlsson on a healthy Penguins team could actually be pretty scary. That group might be a little too old, but I wouldn't write them off, they're cockroaches.

Potentially very dangerous yes.

But they’ll give up A LOT of goals.

• Like 1

maybe an unpopular opinion but I don't think Karlsson on PIT scares me much.

I get why they want to make this move. Anything to keep them as a playoff team while they have their aging core group still there. If they get into the playoffs, anything is possible with Crosby.

With that said, Karlsson won the Norris on offensive output alone, not because of his actual Defense. 

Jarry, when healthy, is above average, sure. But health is a concern there. They added Reilly Smith already but their depth has been an issue and this is a team that is only getting older. 

7 minutes ago, BlairBettsBlocksEverything said:

maybe an unpopular opinion but I don't think Karlsson on PIT scares me much.

I get why they want to make this move. Anything to keep them as a playoff team while they have their aging core group still there. If they get into the playoffs, anything is possible with Crosby.

With that said, Karlsson won the Norris on offensive output alone, not because of his actual Defense. 

Jarry, when healthy, is above average, sure. But health is a concern there. They added Reilly Smith already but their depth has been an issue and this is a team that is only getting older. 

Yeah.

Its actually a risky move for them.

Even with Karlsson, I don’t see them as a Cup contender.

What they’ll have to pay to get him probably creates another hole on a top-heavy roster, even if it moves out an older bloated contract.

If you recall, Karlsson didn’t have to a of suitors before the trade/extension in SJ to begin with… because of his age, injury history, huge cost, and his near total ineptitude on D.

Point being, there was a reason teams looked elsewhere 

2 minutes ago, RangersIn7 said:

Yeah.

Its actually a risky move for them.

Even with Karlsson, I don’t see them as a Cup contender.

What they’ll have to pay to get him probably creates another hole on a top-heavy roster, even if it moves out an older bloated contract.

If you recall, Karlsson didn’t have to a of suitors before the trade/extension in SJ to begin with… because of his age, injury history, huge cost, and his near total ineptitude on D.

Point being, there was a reason teams looked elsewhere 

Haaaaaaaaave ya met their President of Hockey Operations?