• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Devils Re-Sign Jesper Bratt to 8-year/$63m Extension; $7.875m AAV

• Cash or Czech changed the title to New Jersey Devils Re-sign F Jesper Bratt to 8-year, $63m Deal; $7.875m AAV
  • Phil changed the title to Devils Re-Sign Jesper Bratt to 8-year/$63m Extension; $7.875m AAV
28 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

If they get a goalie like a Hellebucyk, watch out. They are right there.

You mean the same guy who just told the Jets he's not interested in re-signing? Yeah, they're getting him.

1 hour ago, Sharpshooter said:

If they get a goalie like a Hellebucyk, watch out. They are right there.

I hope they do. It’s continually proven out that a top goalie isn’t needed in the playoffs, just a hot one, and a top goalie can actually be a detriment based on cap hit. Hellebuyck probably isn’t giving them a better performance than they just got out of a hot Schmid.

So I say let them burn a ton of cap on a goalie through his 30s.

15 hours ago, BrooksBurner said:

I hope they do. It’s continually proven out that a top goalie isn’t needed in the playoffs, just a hot one, and a top goalie can actually be a detriment based on cap hit. Hellebuyck probably isn’t giving them a better performance than they just got out of a hot Schmid.

The thing is they have a ton of cap space and many of their core, young players are locked up long term for $8M or less. They can blow a ton of cap on Hellyebuck and still be good, especially with the cap going up next year. It's horrible to say this, but they're primed to content for a while.

36 minutes ago, Morphinity 2.0 said:

The thing is they have a ton of cap space and many of their core, young players are locked up long term for $8M or less. They can blow a ton of cap on Hellyebuck and still be good, especially with the cap going up next year. It's horrible to say this, but they're primed to content for a while.

I felt like I looked at their situation and thought they don’t have as much to work with assuming they re-sign Meier. I want to say it was $18 million for an entire bottom 6 and a couple of defensemen. Hellebuyck in and Vanacek out made it a few million less. They’d be stronger in net, but pretty top heavy this year without a lot of depth. Sounds familiar.

I remember thinking they gave too much for too long to Palat. I think his contract is an issue sooner rather than later.

3 hours ago, Morphinity 2.0 said:

They got like 5 players locked up tho.

Hughes and Hischier at 8 and 7.25 are obviously bargains, but 6m for Palat for 4 more years and Hamilton at 9m is not great, Marino and and Siegenthaler are signed for 4-5 years, but they're not really quality pieces. More like decent #4-5 D-men.

They got a lot of cap space at the moment, but only 5 forwards and 3 D's signed through next season. They need like 8 forwards, 3 D's and a goalie with 26m available. If they give Meier ~8m it gets real tight if you're gonna squeeze in Hellebuyck's 6.5m (They would need to potentially re-sign him to a bigger contract as well).

They're in a great position with Hughes and Hischier signed to bargain contracts, but I'm not sure about the rest of the players they got signed longer term. I'm not even sold on Bratt. Puts up decent numbers but I just don't see anything really impressive when I watch him. He was a total non-factor in our playoff series and he had 1 goal in 12 games.

22 hours ago, BrooksBurner said:

The former is true. The latter isn't.

I think Hellebuyck unequivocally vaults them into a legitimate contender, but it's also entirely possible that it'll come at a price so steep that it hurts their chances. We can only hope, but I really don't want to test this theory.