• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

State of the League (NHL)

This is more of a bitch session on my part, but i wanted some opinions on how y'all feel about NHL and the direction it's going. For me, i find the irritation and lack of enthusiasm growing with each passing season; maybe because our lack of championship... My major points of contention are as follows:

TV and radio broadcasts: good lord, can they assemble a larger group of pretentious annoying booty clowns????? I could spend a day describing what irks me! I mean there were 2 clowns on NHL Radio talking about Jack Eichel, and one of them referred to him as"The Eichel Tower" which in and of itself was fine, but this led to the other meat head interrupting him to exclaim in most childish manner, how he and others call him "Jackie Aces". Trust me when i say this, the cringe-o-meter broke! Don't get me wrong there are a few out there i enjoy listening to

Expansion and Salary cap: both of which have lead to severe deluted talent IMO. There should be no reason the Vegas Golden Showers are about to win their 2nd Conference title and make their 2nd  SC Finals appearance in what; 4 years? Yeah, ill concede I'm envious, i mean frick, 1 cup n almost 30 years for us! Yet, here comes these turds and hey look, a SC appearance in their inaugural season.

Hope everyone is doing well

I find the product basically unwatchable. They've taken the sport and twisted it in to something I really don't even recognize. The playoffs helps the product, to a degree, but I would watch less than 2 games a year if it wasn't for the Rangers. Not really interested.

I'm heavily involved in youth hockey, I support my local PJHL team... Hockey is a massive part of my life, it's really my entire existence outside of work from September to June, but the NHL? Nah.

• Keeps it 100 1

The national TV broadcasts aside, I find the game in a fantastic state. The only thing that could be better is if there were fewer games so each one was more meaningful...82 is a lot. That said, the parity is fantastic, every team is so close, the playoffs are unpredictable and exciting...what more could anyone want? 

I know there's talk about expanding the playoff format, but I actually don't subscribe to that. You need something to keep the regular season meaningful and a relatively small number of playoff spots does just that. I do think there's a better way to organize the teams tho, this whole "same teams first and second round every year" gets old pretty fast. 

Seriously, I would like to see them do away with regular season OT.  Fuck the "loser point", and keep games 60 minutes long.

I could give a shit about the shootout too.  I think it sucks.  Like @Valriera said, the season is really long, and making games longer with OT and shootouts doesn't help...even being 5 minutes.

2 points for a win

1 point apiece for a tie

Save OT for the playoffs where it's something special!

I wish they would stop trying to push physicality and fighting out of the league.

Other than that I don’t have too many gripes tbh. The all star game is stupid, and im over the outdoor events (do one every few years and make it meaningful). I started watching hockey at the height of clutch and grab and this faster league is much more fun to watch. 

reffing has been atrocious as has player discipline but that’s nothing new. Reffing needs to seriously improve.

i don’t mind the salary cap but when things like Covid happen there needs to be more flexibility. Maybe some amnesty buy outs or something so that teams don’t get absolutely trucked cap wise. 

maybe end the “play each team twice thing” and add more rivalry games to the mix. 

i don’t get the “talent is watered down” thing… league seems to have more talent then ever. Seattle just drafted a bunch of riff raff off of each team 2 seasons ago And look how good they are with only a few tweaks.

league needs to figure Arizona out already. 

• Bullseye 1
  • VINNY! 1

5 hours ago, Ozzy said:

Seriously, I would like to see them do away with regular season OT.  Fuck the "loser point", and keep games 60 minutes long.

I could give a shit about the shootout too.  I think it sucks.  Like @Valriera said, the season is really long, and making games longer with OT and shootouts doesn't help...even being 5 minutes.

2 points for a win

1 point apiece for a tie

Save OT for the playoffs where it's something special!

I hated ties and was so pleased to hear they adjusted the format to a shootout way jack then. It didn't take long for me to miss ties tho. But ya, like you I loathe the reg season ot format 

• Cheers 1

Def enjoy the faster game. Talent is at an all time high.

Get rid of these NMC's; dumbest contract stipulation.

I want more meaningful games.

Cut season down to 72 games, playoff format should seed 1-8 in both conferences. Best of 5 up until the Conference and Stanley Cup Finals. Drop the shootout but keep the 5 minute 3 on 3. Let it end in a tie after some fun run and gun.

I want better rivalries back. 

Keep fighting in the game.

Make All-Star weekend a mini world tournament instead of the circus it has become. 

15 hours ago, jsm7302 said:

Cut season down to 72 games, playoff format should seed 1-8 in both conferences. Best of 5 up until the Conference and Stanley Cup Finals. Drop the shootout but keep the 5 minute 3 on 3. Let it end in a tie after some fun run and gun.

Make All-Star weekend a mini world tournament instead of the circus it has become. 

and half naked cheerleaders

• Cheers 1

17 hours ago, phillyb said:

Ok but why do I have to wait until June 3rd for the cup finals to start? Are you fucking kidding me?

Five day break is just dumb.  Marginal fans lose interest.  It already goes too far into June.  Shorter summer.  C'mon, they juggle schedules and TV all the time during the playoffs.

I'm a big fan, and even my interest will be diminished by the time they finally start this thing.  It's June.  I've got other things to do.

• VINNY! 1

Just go back to the old playoff format.

the 1-3 + 2 wildcard system is annoying and forces first round matchups we don't need. Just play 1-8 again. im fine with division winners getting top seeds, NBD on that one. 

Coyotes situation needs a permanent resolution already. it's killing the league's revenues. their own players have to keep filing grievances with the union due to lackluster conditions. Playing another season at a college rink is going to be depressing. Hopefully ASU can drum up local hockey interest again. But no need for an NHL team. I've reaslly wanted the Yotes to work out and have tried to be optimistic but there's no pathway to a future there and it needs to end already. 

I have less of a gripe with reffing in the league. I like the subjectiveness, I like the refs being able to talk to the players the way they do. They just need some reform. Have an extra official or two watching from off the ice to catch what may have been missed maybe? I don't have all the answers but I don't think they need a complete Ref overhaul.

need to rework this LTIR nonsense. Teams shouldn't be just hoarding contracts of guys who will never play again to get to the salary minimum. 

It was mentioned to get rid of No Move Clauses earlier. I disagree with that.  Players should have some kind of leverage. Just thinking about how Connor McDavid, arguably the best NHLer of all time in terms of speed/skill compared to the rest of the league, makes as much as bench players in the NBA. Different sport, less players on an NBA team, I get all of that. But these players make pennies compared to their counterparts in other sports. Gotta have some type of leverage. Blame GMs and Owners for handing them out like candy, not the players who need some kind of leverage 

35 minutes ago, BlairBettsBlocksEverything said:

Just go back to the old playoff format.

the 1-3 + 2 wildcard system is annoying and forces first round matchups we don't need. Just play 1-8 again. im fine with division winners getting top seeds, NBD on that one. 

Coyotes situation needs a permanent resolution already. it's killing the league's revenues. their own players have to keep filing grievances with the union due to lackluster conditions. Playing another season at a college rink is going to be depressing. Hopefully ASU can drum up local hockey interest again. But no need for an NHL team. I've reaslly wanted the Yotes to work out and have tried to be optimistic but there's no pathway to a future there and it needs to end already. 

I have less of a gripe with reffing in the league. I like the subjectiveness, I like the refs being able to talk to the players the way they do. They just need some reform. Have an extra official or two watching from off the ice to catch what may have been missed maybe? I don't have all the answers but I don't think they need a complete Ref overhaul.

need to rework this LTIR nonsense. Teams shouldn't be just hoarding contracts of guys who will never play again to get to the salary minimum. 

It was mentioned to get rid of No Move Clauses earlier. I disagree with that.  Players should have some kind of leverage. Just thinking about how Connor McDavid, arguably the best NHLer of all time in terms of speed/skill compared to the rest of the league, makes as much as bench players in the NBA. Different sport, less players on an NBA team, I get all of that. But these players make pennies compared to their counterparts in other sports. Gotta have some type of leverage. Blame GMs and Owners for handing them out like candy, not the players who need some kind of leverage 

Why do players need leverage? They're getting paid millions of dollars to play a game.

I don't know that I would look at athletes in other sports as a comparison, because those sports generate much more revenue. At the end of the day they are making a handsome fee to play a child's game. I don't think they need leverage at all.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Pete said:

Why do players need leverage? They're getting paid millions of dollars to play a game.

I don't know that I would look at athletes in other sports as a comparison, because those sports generate much more revenue. At the end of the day they are making a handsome fee to play a child's game. I don't think they need leverage at all.

sieze the means of production thats why lol

owners make billions, players are the product, so while i get the initial reaction of 'they're making a ton of money to play a game' (you and i have definitely had similar discussions in other threads before) they also have a union and have every right to negotiate what they can get out of the deal.

you look at it as 'theyre getting rich playing a game' but I'm looking at it as 'they are the very best at a profession that generates billions of dollars, takes many years of harder work than any of us normal folk are ever capable of,  and deserve a cut of the pie'

On 5/30/2023 at 9:36 PM, jsm7302 said:

Not a bad idea; however, I wouldn't be apposed to a 5 minute OT, then a 3 round shootout, and if still no score, award the tie. 

4 hours ago, BlairBettsBlocksEverything said:

owners make billions, players are the product, so while i get the initial reaction of 'they're making a ton of money to play a game' (you and i have definitely had similar discussions in other threads before) they also have a union and have every right to negotiate what they can get out of the deal.

you look at it as 'theyre getting rich playing a game' but I'm looking at it as 'they are the very best at a profession that generates billions of dollars, takes many years of harder work than any of us normal folk are ever capable of,  and deserve a cut of the pie'

That has nothing to do with trade protection. I didn't say they shouldn't be compensated, I said that an NMC shouldn't be currency. They were tried and they've run their course. They actually prevent the competition and parity that the league covets. I get why they tried them, but they're bad for the league.

I won't even talk about the owners and how much they make because there's math involved around HRR. The owners don't profit that much more than the collective players. There are just 32 owners and 600+ players. That's just life.

7 minutes ago, Pete said:

That has nothing to do with trade protection. I didn't say they shouldn't be compensated, I said that an NMC shouldn't be currency. They were tried and they've run their course. They actually prevent the competition and parity that the league covets. I get why they tried them, but they're bad for the league.

I won't even talk about the owners and how much they make because there's math involved around HRR. The owners don't profit that much more than the collective players. There are just 32 owners and 600+ players. That's just life.

Inspiring Tim Tebow GIF by Home Free

4 hours ago, BlairBettsBlocksEverything said:

27 minutes ago, Pete said:

And I'll add, can you imagine how quickly the league would have fixed the Arizona situation if Connor McDavid was traded there? But they never have to worry about that because anyone with an NTC has them on their list. So who gives a shit?

55 minutes ago, Pete said:

I mean sure, but its protection that players can negotiate in. If teams were so concerned about the result of having them they'd stop giving them out. 

If anything it also helps GMs and Owners by giving them something they can use to keep salary costs down. 

maybe it can be reworked to guarantee a 'no AHL Demotion' clause + limits on how many teams can be added to a NTC? I don't have all the answers but I don't have a problem with players having more options to negotiate better deals for themselves

32 minutes ago, Pete said:

And I'll add, can you imagine how quickly the league would have fixed the Arizona situation if Connor McDavid was traded there? But they never have to worry about that because anyone with an NTC has them on their list. So who gives a shit?

literally the worst thing that could happen to the NHL right now lol. 

I've always felt that thee NHL is a dumb league with dumb people managing teams. A NMC in some players contracts will just save the league from itself lol

8 minutes ago, BlairBettsBlocksEverything said:

literally the worst thing that could happen to the NHL right now lol. 

I've always felt that thee NHL is a dumb league with dumb people managing teams. A NMC in some players contracts will just save the league from itself lol

Maybe. But the best trade for the league, in the history of the league, was Gretzky to LA and that might not have happened with an NMC because he didn't want to go there, IIRC.