• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Islanders Will Face Rangers at Metlife Stadium in 2024

https://www.google.com/amp/s/thehockeynews.com/nhl/new-york-islanders/.amp/news/new-york-islanders-new-york-rangers-metlife-stadium-stadium-series

After a 10-year outdoor absence, the Islanders are headed back outside as they will face the Rangers this upcoming February at MetLife Stadium, as part of the NHL's Stadium Series, a league source confirmed to The Hockey News (first reported by The Fourth Period). 

Edited by Abe Froman

2 minutes ago, Pete said:

Oh yay outdoor games, where the attendees all brag about how awesome it was, mostly because they dropped a mortgage payment on tickets and not because they actually enjoyed a hockey game.

I'm not sure if the joke here is that someone's out of touch with how much mortgages cost or how much outdoor hockey tickets cost.

Either way, it's painful.

Novelty has worn off. I'd much rather see these games come indoors to minor league rinks with a true ticket lottery and a much improved TV production effort for the temporary setup. Yeah, it wouldn't be the same but think of how it would positively impact the local economy for those rinks? Ticket lottery could be sold for $5/chance to buy tix if selected and would turn into a sizeable charity fundraiser to boot. 

Alternately and keeping with the outdoor theme...Michie Stadium at West Point or Red Bull Arena in Harrison would provide great sightlines for about 20,000 while still grabbing the outdoor feel. West Point backdrop would be fantastic!

1 hour ago, Cash or Czech said:

$500 tickets where you can’t see shit and freeze your ass off. No thanks

In the single worst stadium in America; yeah, no thanks.

Would worry West Point with all those hills on a winter night would get very messy.

6 hours ago, Morphinity 2.0 said:

I get what you're all saying, but people do buy tickets to these things and enjoy themselves. It's not my cup of tea, but I can't fault anyone for having fun out there.

I wouldn't want to pay the money to go, but I kind of like how it looks on TV.

• Like 1
  • Bullseye 1
  • Keeps it 100 1

13 hours ago, BrooksBurner said:

I wouldn't want to pay the money to go, but I kind of like how it looks on TV.

Same. I have no interest in any outdoor event in the freezing cold or blistering heat, but it's super weird that the Rangers, of all teams, haven't been in an outdoor game in this long is nutty.

Been to all of them except the NYI-NYR Stadium Series Game.  Rangers/Flyers Winter Classic was by far the best.  Weather was perfect, perfect seats. 

NYR/NJ Final score was the best part.  Too damn cold

NYR/Buf again Final score was the best part.  Too damn cold.  

Weather is a big key for the enjoyment of these games.  

And as we all know, these games are oversaturated now, and its just a NHL money grab.  

NHL is scheduling Rangers/Islanders and Devils/Flyers for MetLife. Almost wish they would do that for earlier or later in the season. But they aren't putting up a rink in the middle of the NFL season and NHL teams probably don't want it closer to the end of the season. 

7 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

The weather will be ice cold. The ice will suck and the snoozefest Islanders will stifle the Rangers. Sorokin and Shesterkin will battle it out in a sloppy 1-0 win for either team. lol

...and me Keith and RJ will be sleeping at the bar