• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Devils to Target Connor Hellebuyck?

Phil

Seems to me that GM Tom Fitzgerald’s offseason mandate in New Jersey is crystal as the Devils attempt to make the jump from contender to champion, and that is to acquire a franchise goaltender.

And there is likely going to be one available in Winnipeg, with perennial Vezina contender Connor Hellebuyck one year away from free agency and unlikely to sign an extension after seven seasons with the Jets.

There would likely be a bidding war for the netminder, who will turn 30 this coming Friday. The Penguins, currently without a GM, would be interested. The Senators might take a look. The Kings might take a gander at the Vezina finalist who carries a $6.2 million cap hit into next season, which would be a disqualifier for some.

New Jersey could start by offering Jesper Bratt, the 24-year-old winger coming up on restricted free agency with arbitration rights and a required $5.45 million qualifying offer — and coming off the most disappointing playoff performance of any Devil.

Their 2023 first-rounder is gone, off to San Jose for Timo Meier — who found the way to be a valuable presence in the playoffs with relentless physical play despite the 40-goal scorer getting just two in 11 games.

But the Devils have depth in their system even while facing the impending unrestricted free agencies of Ryan Graves and Damon Severson.

At this juncture, they have just five varsity forwards, five defensemen and two goaltenders under contract for next season. Vitek Vanecek had a stabilizing year in net but was inadequate in the postseason. MacKenzie Blackwood would be a good one to offer up to the Jets in a package for Hellebuyck.

Of course, if executive VP of hockey operations Martin Brodeur believes that 23-year-old Akira Schmid is a franchise goaltender in the making, then never mind about Hellebuyck. But I bet the Devils will be in the mix for the 2020 Vezina winner.

https://nypost.com/2023/05/13/maple-leafs-penguins-scenario-could-bring-mike-sullivan-to-rangers/

--

Please, please, please go literally anywhere else.

3 hours ago, Phil said:

https://nypost.com/2023/05/13/maple-leafs-penguins-scenario-could-bring-mike-sullivan-to-rangers/

--

Please, please, please go literally anywhere else.

I'm good with this. We know what goalie contracts deep into their 30s look like for HOF goalies let alone just "very good" ones like Hellebuyck. They'll have to sign him until he's 38 to get him to stay.

7 hours ago, BrooksBurner said:

I'm good with this. We know what goalie contracts deep into their 30s look like for HOF goalies let alone just "very good" ones like Hellebuyck. They'll have to sign him until he's 38 to get him to stay.

Don’t kid yourself though. New Jersey is very much win now. Hellebuyck may help push that group over the finish line. When that dude is on, he is on. I always felt he didn’t get the respect he deserves playing out in Winnipeg.

The Devils playing in front of average goaltending this year got them where it got them. If they had Connor Hellebuyck back there? My bet is they’re still playing. And that they probably would be the favorites to take the whole damn thing.

I’m with Phil on this one: anywhere but there. Please.

Edited by RichieNextel305
  • Like 2
  • Keeps it 100 1

13 hours ago, BrooksBurner said:

You're looking big picture. Look small. Hellebuyck gets them exactly what they need right now to win — a reliable post-season goalie. I want him no where near this team.

• Keeps it 100 1

19 minutes ago, Morphinity 2.0 said:

I also saw the idea of them going after Thatcher Demko. Either way, me no like.

Yeah he’s another one that can definitely help bump them over the edge. 

It’s what they desperately need, so I’m sure Fitzgerald is going to try and make it happen. But I hope teams hold them hostage on the return.

2 hours ago, Morphinity 2.0 said:

I just hope they convince themselves Schmid is their guy and the miss the boat on some of the better goalies who are available. 

Schmid did play pretty well in the games I watched him play this season. That said, I do think NJ will inquire if and when some of these goalies become available. I just hope the price is too rich and they stay in-house. Because with a target on their back, it could be a mistake.

12 hours ago, Abe Froman said:

And he has the perfect last name for the Devils. 

This is the only cool part about it. 'Hell'ebuyck jerseys will be flying off the shelves.

I always considered it a huge missed opportunity that Miroslav Satan never played there.

• LOL 1
  • LMFAO 1

• 1 month later...
15 minutes ago, jsm7302 said:

Interesting move. I thought they liked their tandem from this year.

Vanecek had a good season but was dog shit in the playoffs. Schmid, for all we know, was a flash. I wouldn’t be riding with him based off of a handful of starts against a Rangers team with no pulse.

They definitely need an upgrade there. And Hellebyuck is the kind of goalie who can be a last-piece type for that team. That is a marriage I do not want to see happen.

Maybe this is spite talking, but I've always had Hellebuyck rated a rung below the elite goalies of the league. I don't have him in the Sorokin/Shesterkin/Vasilievsky tier - I've got him squarely a rung below. 

So, yeah. Let the Devils go acquire Hellebuyck for the ransom of assets the Jets want/will get, let them pay him more than Hughes, let Bratt get instantly pissed off....I'm good with it. 

• Keeps it 100 1

2 hours ago, LindG1000 said:

Maybe this is spite talking, but I've always had Hellebuyck rated a rung below the elite goalies of the league. I don't have him in the Sorokin/Shesterkin/Vasilievsky tier - I've got him squarely a rung below. 

So, yeah. Let the Devils go acquire Hellebuyck for the ransom of assets the Jets want/will get, let them pay him more than Hughes, let Bratt get instantly pissed off....I'm good with it. 

This is how I feel.  Let them give up assets to sign a 31 year old goalie to an 8 year deal with a $9 million dollar AAV.  Hellebuyck's .916 career SV% doesn't scare me.  If you put any stock in the Quality Start stats on Hockey-Reference, they 'd be better off signing Jarry as a UFA.  Wouldn't cost them assets, younger, cheaper. 

39 minutes ago, Long live the King said:

This is how I feel.  Let them give up assets to sign a 31 year old goalie to an 8 year deal with a $9 million dollar AAV.  Hellebuyck's .916 career SV% doesn't scare me.  If you put any stock in the Quality Start stats on Hockey-Reference, they 'd be better off signing Jarry as a UFA.  Wouldn't cost them assets, younger, cheaper. 

That's probably an extreme take. Hellebuyck is still a top 10 goalie in the NHL, but you have to be worried about that price tag and the sheer amount of work he's had. 

There's no goalie who has played more minutes or more games in the RS since Hellebuyck came into the league. Playoffs vault Vasilievsky over him, but that's still a ton of wear and tear in 9 seasons of work.

He's a horse. A .916 save percent for the career is still very good - good for 15th since he came into the league. His GAA is good for 33rd in that period as well (among goalies who got at least 40 games in). Very good player - no doubt an upgrade over Vanecek or Schmid. But...lotta wear and tear, big commitment to an aging goalie that isn't even going to end up being the second-best goalie in the division.

I'd be skeptical, and I think rightfully so depending on the assets and the contract. And to be fair - these are the exact same questions we should be asking when Shesterkin is due up, even though Shesterkin's clearly a notch above Hellebuyck.

17 minutes ago, LindG1000 said:

That's probably an extreme take. Hellebuyck is still a top 10 goalie in the NHL, but you have to be worried about that price tag and the sheer amount of work he's had. 

There's no goalie who has played more minutes or more games in the RS since Hellebuyck came into the league. Playoffs vault Vasilievsky over him, but that's still a ton of wear and tear in 9 seasons of work.

He's a horse. A .916 save percent for the career is still very good - good for 15th since he came into the league. His GAA is good for 33rd in that period as well (among goalies who got at least 40 games in). Very good player - no doubt an upgrade over Vanecek or Schmid. But...lotta wear and tear, big commitment to an aging goalie that isn't even going to end up being the second-best goalie in the division.

I'd be skeptical, and I think rightfully so depending on the assets and the contract. And to be fair - these are the exact same questions we should be asking when Shesterkin is due up, even though Shesterkin's clearly a notch above Hellebuyck.

The last 4 years.

Hellebuyck:  .917 SV% and 2.67 GAA

Jarry: .915 SV% and 2.62 GAA

I wouldn't call him top 10. I don't think there is a top 10.  There are 4 or 5 guys at the top, then there are 10-15 that are interchangeable.  That may put him in the "top 10", but not noticeably better than the guy in 20th.  That's not worth the price.  

He's a Vezina candidate and won a few years ago. Hard stop, he's a top goalie.

That said, you worry about the next 4-5 years with the Devils, not the last 3-4. Devils having that level  goalie in their prime makes them a Cup contender probably starting in '24-'25 until probably '28.

Edited by Pete

31 minutes ago, Long live the King said:

The last 4 years.

Hellebuyck:  .917 SV% and 2.67 GAA

Jarry: .915 SV% and 2.62 GAA

I wouldn't call him top 10. I don't think there is a top 10.  There are 4 or 5 guys at the top, then there are 10-15 that are interchangeable.  That may put him in the "top 10", but not noticeably better than the guy in 20th.  That's not worth the price.  

In that same window, Hellebuyck is 3rd in GSAA and 1st in GSAx. Jarry is 8th in GSAA and 57th in GSAx. These are cumulative stats so it requires some additional context, but if you built an averaged out list based on games played: Hellebuyck is a very good goalie and Jarry stinks.