• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers, Gallant Agree to Part Ways

Phil

1 minute ago, The Dude said:

Depends. If Drury had a close relationship with Roy as a teammate and after, you can't discount the possibility. 

I think Dolan is in on this though.  They're going to try to make a play for Quennville or go for the heartstrings and bring in a Ranger icon like Messier. 

Then again this reeks of a move that is done because they are talking to a guy thats available and wanted. 

Please be Laviolette. 

I’ve always beeen on the fuck messier let’s move on wagon but at this point I don’t even care anymore. At worst we get a.guy who has a lot to lose reputation wise and who knows hockey.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, siddious said:

I’ve always beeen on the fuck messier let’s move on wagon but at this point I don’t even care anymore. At worst we get a.guy who has a lot to lose reputation wise and who knows hockey.

I think Mark has been too far removed but he’s a legend and if he took the job you could be sure that he wouldn’t accept players sleepwalking through games. I also the the players would look at him as a hockey god. Remember when Domi was acting the fool and Mess set home strait on respecting the game. When he was done he said let’s go get a beer.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, siddious said:

I'm actually not all that against the idea. Rather Mess than the circus side show, that will be Quennville. 

Let's not forget Quennville was coaching Florida and was dominating.  Then, due to the Chicago stuff, he resigned.

Hes not suspended and I don't think needs to be reinstated. As far as I know or have read, he wasn't indicted or brought up on any charges...

I'd think he'd have gone back to Florida if he wanted to continue coaching. Guy is probably embarrassed and ashamed (if all is true and is as it reads, he should be). Why would he step back into the light? Especially with the NY media? Leave the guy be. Let him wallow in his own shame  (if it's all true). He's a great hockey coach. No doubt. But what he supposedly did..  Is not something I'm comfortable with having as someone I cheer for.  Players have been shunned for lesser things.  

But, if this is the avenue they want to go. There's gotta be some sort of compensation going to Florida. What's that going to cost? 

2 minutes ago, The Dude said:

I'm actually not all that against the idea. Rather Mess than the circus side show, that will be Quennville. 

Let's not forget Quennville was coaching Florida and was dominating.  Then, due to the Chicago stuff, he resigned.

Hes not suspended and I don't think needs to be reinstated. As far as I know or have read, he wasn't indicted or brought up on any charges...

I'd think he'd have gone back to Florida if he wanted to continue coaching. Guy is probably embarrassed and ashamed (if all is true and is as it reads, he should be). Why would he step back into the light? Especially with the NY media? Leave the guy be. Let him wallow in his own shame  (if it's all true). He's a great hockey coach. No doubt. But what he supposedly did..  Is not something I'm comfortable with having as someone I cheer for.  Players have been shunned for lesser things.  

But, if this is the avenue they want to go. There's gotta be some sort of compensation going to Florida. What's that going to cost? 

He does need to be reinstated before he can coach again. He needs permission from Bettmann first. 

https://abcnews.go.com/Sports/gary-bettman-unsure-nhl-reinstate-joel-quenneville/story?id=85473907

15 minutes ago, Keirik said:

He does need to be reinstated before he can coach again. He needs permission from Bettmann first. 

https://abcnews.go.com/Sports/gary-bettman-unsure-nhl-reinstate-joel-quenneville/story?id=85473907

I don’t know how true this thing is because Beach could have kicked the snot out of the guy but in the end how could the Rangers consider this guy true or u true?

13 minutes ago, Keirik said:

Gotcha.

Sounds more like a formality.  He's not suspended or anything. He resigned. Wasn't fired, Wasn't suspended.

I'd think he needs permission to return, so Florida gets compensated for their head coach just leaving without any actual punishment from the law or the league.

It's only been a year and a half or so. Is his shame gone or dealt with internally already? 

2 hours ago, Keirik said:

Honestly, if there were exit interviews that threw Gallant under the bus, I sure hope Drury takes notes on those guys because they may need to go too. This isn’t all on the coach. 

it doesn't have to be that guys threw him under the bus, but just didn't offer a ringing endorsement...

kinda like the feedback Trouba & Goodrow gave the media - not exactly inspiring.

and if you're going to give a guy who just failed miserably at getting a top-notch talent team out of the first round, you better have guys who say they'd battle to the death next year for the guy

Uncle Larry thinks Q out and Knob in the mix.  At least the former makes sense.  I don't think any of us know enough about the personal relationship between Drury and Knob to determine whether Drury has the ultimate faith to place his own professional future in Knob's hands.

6 minutes ago, Sod16 said:

Uncle Larry thinks Q out and Knob in the mix.  At least the former makes sense.  I don't think any of us know enough about the personal relationship between Drury and Knob to determine whether Drury has the ultimate faith to place his own professional future in Knob's hands.

Cite your work, and mine.

• LMFAO 1

Ah, the Rangers exit interviews, an organization mainstay for decision making since at least Torts.

An opportunity for players to complain about playing time, time on the power play, not getting to play with their BFF, the pregame spread, the hotel, and throw the coach under the bus.  Anything but accept personal responsibility for subpar play. Bunch of whiny babies.

The Rangers organization goes through coaches every few years.  The Rangers don't draft very well, so they end up paying a premium to acquire players.  And there's no player accountability.  When the players meekly surrender a 2-0 series lead and play with the intensity of a preseason series in Helsinki against the Ottawa Senators... the coach takes the fall.

No wonder New York is such a popular location for professional hockey players.  You get to live in one of the greatest cities in the world, get paid premium dollars, and never have to face any penalties when you lay a giant steaming turd in the middle of the ice.

In 2026, we can expect the next flavor-of-the month coaching hire.  As long as Rangers management use player exit interview to decide whether to keep or fire a coach, we will be an also-ran.  Such a losing mentality, what a joke.

• Bullseye 2
  • Cheers 1

I would think Drury has a much longer leash than some here are suggesting.

He was heir apparent for a while, before confidently being given the reins in place of his highly experienced and accomplished predecessors.

He certainly had the rangers stacked and loaded for a legitimate cup run this season - and i don't think anyone was expecting gallant and this team to perform as miserably as they did.

Unless the rangers don't make the playoffs in these coming two seasons, i wouldn't expect him to be on the chopping block.

Edited by Jdog99

2 hours ago, The Dude said:

Gotcha.

Sounds more like a formality.  He's not suspended or anything. He resigned. Wasn't fired, Wasn't suspended.

I'd think he needs permission to return, so Florida gets compensated for their head coach just leaving without any actual punishment from the law or the league.

It's only been a year and a half or so. Is his shame gone or dealt with internally already? 

Well, I speculated about it the other day but to state it again. It doesn’t seem like Q himself was the primary problem. He was brought up to speed by his bosses right before the cup finals and chose to address it after the finals were over. Not sure if he was directed to do so or did so on his own. He still has his share of guilt in the matter but he’s not exactly enemy number 1. Beach himself settled with the organization. 

I don’t believe Florida would get any compensation. Q stepped down which likely means he forfeited his own contract. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jdog99 said:

it doesn't have to be that guys threw him under the bus, but just didn't offer a ringing endorsement...

kinda like the feedback Trouba & Goodrow gave the media - not exactly inspiring.

and if you're going to give a guy who just failed miserably at getting a top-notch talent team out of the first round, you better have guys who say they'd battle to the death next year for the guy

I mean, the same head coach just went to the semi finals last year and beat Rod the Bod along the way. The players also screwed this up in the first round this year. I get that you can’t swap all players but as I said, I’m looking really hard at any player whose exit interview was speaking negatively about the coach. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Keirik said:

I’m looking really hard at any player whose exit interview was speaking negatively about the coach. 

I wouldn't be, players want to be coached, if they went in there and told Drury they want a plan they can fall back on when things aren't going the way they want them to when they're freewheeling, then I don't blame them for doing that. 

1 hour ago, Keirik said:

1 hour ago, Keirik said:

I mean, the same head coach just went to the semi finals last year and beat Rod the Bod along the way. The players also screwed this up in the first round this year. I get that you can’t swap all players but as I said, I’m looking really hard at any player whose exit interview was speaking negatively about the coach. 

Right good enough coach to beat Sullivan and Rod last year. 

Regardless bring on the next guy who's tee'd up to be the players bitch in the end. 

As for Knob and growing young players who has he grown that's spent any significant time down there who's come up, stuck and made a difference? The closet thing would be Schneider no? Chytil's cup of coffee. 

Can't really see them going that route with so many of core players being  older guys here and the expectation to win now. 

Edited by jsrangers
  • Like 1

Watch them bring in Boudreau and everyone cringe...... Haha

In all seriousness; the coaching options aren't great. No proven winners available. I'm a full believer that Quenneville isn't an option due to baggage.

• The Chyt! 1

14 hours ago, The Dude said:

Please. Please. Please bring in Laviolette. 

I want no part of the sideshow and controversy of Q. He's a great coach. But that whole Chicago situation isn't and shouldn't just go away. 

If it can be proven that he had no part in the coverup further than being the "fall guy"  I am ok with Q being hired.  If he did in fact aide in the cover up and prevented Beech from getting any kind of help then he can just fuck right off and continue to rot in forced retirement(I know he isn't rotting).  Here's where it gets fishy though.  What if he did indeed stop the assaults from happening behind closed doors but like some reports I remember saying, he didn't make it public in order to keep the "distraction" from affecting their Cup run?  Is he considered a "good" person in that situation.  Is he still a piece of shit?  He's clearly a fine coach with his head in the game, willing to do anything to win.  Love the coach, but I don't know that I want that kind of person coaching my team.  I don't know.  To me it all depends on what can/cannot be proven.

8 hours ago, Keirik said:

Bold I agree with.  Comment on italics 'I’m looking really hard at any player whose exit interview was speaking negatively about the coach.'

There can't be any player accountability because you accepted the explanation from the players that the first round exit was the coach's fault, by firing the coach.  Actions speak louder than words. 

For whichever player(s) had a negative reaction to the coach: as long as that player(s) continue to get paid, continue to get same ice time, continue to get put in the line-up (no healthy scratch) there are no penalties the player cares about. If that player is an assistant or captain and keeps their leadership role with the team, management is endorsing their role in the locker room, and their way of conducting themselves on and off the ice as a model for the other players.  Management is sanctioning their role in organizational culture.

When you change coaches every few years each time you are altering the system, on-ice organization, and culture.  Under Tortorella, we knew what the Ranger's team philosophy and values were, due to his long tenure.  I understand that the Rangers wanted to make a change and try a different system and different voice in the locker room.  But after so many coaching changes, I see a franchise in disarray.  When you look at the Lightning's on-ice play under Cooper, the players know their role when they get on the ice, they understand what the team is trying to do in the offensive and defensive end, and there are consequences when their play doesn't meet organizational standards.  Contrast that to where the Rangers are this morning.

1 hour ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

If it can be proven that he had no part in the coverup further than being the "fall guy"  I am ok with Q being hired. 

I didn't know much about Q's case and had to look it up. It had been proven that he's been part of the coverup, may even been the initiator of sweeping it under the rug:

https://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/32498538/joel-quenneville-resigns-florida-panthers-coach-wake-chicago-blackhawks-sexual-abuse-case

While the social/political norms had changed since 2010, this kind of cases may not had been judged as harshly, we live in 2023 where it is viewed differently. Drury is right for not even considering his hiring in my view. Yes, Q had been a great coach, but this case won't go away and could result in lot of controversy and subsequent loosing season.

As for Gallant...

Gallant has one straw that could change my mind about his firing. It is the Devils, if they turn around after an 0 - 2 start against 'Canes, same as against the Rangers, and eliminate them in six, or seven games. If not, the Rangers ugly elimination in the first round squarely lays on Gallant's shoulder...