• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Fox Is Norris Finalist

Sod16

• Phil changed the title to Fox Is Norris Finalist

I think the playoffs have blinded a few people. Fox actually had a really good season (again). Not sure if he had a top 3 Norris season, but he was probably our best player over the 82-games.

Makar being there is just weird tho. So many D's had great seasons and they include Makar who only played 60 games. He wasn't as good as he's been previously either.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Zuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuc said:

I think the playoffs have blinded a few people. Fox actually had a really good season (again). Not sure if he had a top 3 Norris season, but he was probably our best player over the 82-games.

Makar being there is just weird tho. So many D's had great seasons and they include Makar who only played 60 games. He wasn't as good as he's been previously either.

They are going to get people to dislike Makar if they keep going this route, handing out votes he doesn’t deserve just because “he’s Makar”. It makes me dislike him more (a little) than I did yesterday (none). It’s undeserving and it’s annoying.

2 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

They are going to get people to dislike Makar if they keep going this route, handing out votes he doesn’t deserve just because “he’s Makar”. It makes me dislike him more (a little) than I did yesterday (none). It’s undeserving and it’s annoying.

Yup, I hate it. If you're missing 1/4 of the games you have to be extraordinary to get nominated for an award. He wasn't that this year.

4 minutes ago, Cash or Czech said:

Fox had a great regular season. Karlsson put up a lot of points but is he really “the best defenseman”?

He's obviously not the best, but he had a historical season putting up 100+ points as a defenseman on a bad team, so he'll definitely win it.

38 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

That's kind of silly, considering he doesn't nominate himself. 

3 hours ago, Zuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuc said:

Not only have the playoffs blinded a few people, but the people who vote on these awards watch a ton of hockey, not just Rangers hockey. 

It's what I was saying in the other thread, you watch a player every single night and every single replay and dissect every single move, of course you're going to pick up every single mistake and magnify it.

People who watch a ton of hockey appreciate Fox, and frankly I think anybody who's hating on Fox at this point needs to go and watch other teams who don't have a Fox-like-object. That'll make you appreciate having a perennial Norris candidate in the lineup. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Zuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuc said:

Makar is a great player.  That type of player is always going to get a call when they have anything resembling one of their top seasons and he did that this year over 60 games.

Fox is there for the same reason.  Really did not have a great season by his standards but it was close enough that he gets the checkmark.  The numbers looked ok but he was very sloppy at times this season.

He's deserving of being a finalist for sure. Its a foregone conclusion that EK wins it, but Fox did have a great season. 

As Pete said, the local fanbase microscope is a surefire way to point out any flaw.  

Fans: "Margot Robbie is stunningly gorgeous. She may be the hottest woman in the world!"

Local Fanbase: "Yeah, she's good... But have you seen her pinky toe? It's all jacked up.. And have you ever gotten a look at her after she runs a marathon? Jesus man, its rough.. And lets be honest, she ain't getting any younger!" 

• LOL 1
  • Bullseye 1

41 minutes ago, siddious said:

There really should be an award for defensive defenseman.

I dunno how you quantify that other than the eye test though 

You could quantify that with an Expected Goals Allowed stat that took all the context into account and then gave the award to one of the top producers in the category among defensemen each year.  The eye test could be a small part of that.

The major factors would probably be goalie quality and how the player's production compared to his peers both on the team and in the league.  The algorithm would undoubtedly be very complex because you'd have to factor out all the stats that were saying the same thing for the same reason so they didn't double-weight a single contribution.

• Applause 1

24 minutes ago, RichieNextel305 said:

Good for him.

I’d just like to see him play with more urgency when the time calls for it. And please, for the love of all that is good and holy, please shoot the puck more next season.

The way he plays is fine as long as his passes don't turn into cycling because other key players want to pass first also.

The whole team minus Kreider, Chytil, Trocheck and Lafreniere are too deferential to the "open guy".  

Edited by Br4d

Just now, CCCP said:

i'd like to see him take someone out ala Trouba

...you mean "out to dinner"?  ...because the only way I'd wanna see Fox throwing hits like that is with his purse! 

3 hours ago, siddious said:

There really should be an award for defensive defenseman.

I dunno how you quantify that other than the eye test though 

There should be an offensive defenseman award since the Norris is supposed to be the best defenseman award.  Give the D their own opposite version of the Selke type of trophy.