• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Patrick Kane's Rangers Tenure Seems All but Over

Phil

While the idea of returning to Broadway is enticing for Kane, the 34-year-old was realistic about the possibility of it happening.

He mentioned that he knows the Rangers have young players to sign in K’Andre Miller and Alexis Lafreniere, which will likely leave little to no money for Kane. 

Kane, who scored five goals and dished seven assists in 19 regular-season games for the Rangers, may not be able to start next season on time if he undergoes surgery.

That is another aspect of the situation that doesn’t necessarily make sense for the Rangers to re-sign him. 

https://nypost.com/2023/05/03/patrick-kane-set-for-free-agency-surgery-after-rangers-disaster/

It's not a head scratcher we gave up nothing for him. Even if it's questionable you still do it to see. Not a surprise it didn't work out but that's not a stone you leave unturned, and also no reason to re-sign him so i don't hold anything against drury here. If I'm the GM I make that move 10/10 times. 

• VINNY! 1

He would have to have known the extent of the injury. All that medical data is disclosed. 100%. No omissions. No alterations. And fully reviewed by the team’s medical staff. 

And there’s no way around it or you open yourself up to grievances being filed, fines, loss of draft picks, etc. 

The Rangers were not a better team after the two trades.

Tarasenko was maybe an even transition but maybe not.  The kid line shut down for the season when they made the deals.

Edited by Br4d

Give Kakko the keys to the kingdom on the RW. Signing Kane is a meh move. He didn't click this year so let's run it back next year and hope the hip surgery makes him better? Nope. Not forcing that "chemistry" with Panarin again. I'm dunzo with this idea.

2 hours ago, Winter said:

If Kane can't start the season it makes all the more sense that we can sign him, and abuse LTIR like the last half a dozen Stanley Cup champs have done. 

LTIR isn't simple to abuse at all and makes simple call ups so much more difficult to make when you have regular injuries early in the season.

1 hour ago, Keirik said:

Didn’t we get conflicting quotes a day ago about Kane? 

He was talking kind of past tense about his time here. But he didn’t seem concentrated on playing right now because he seemed more concentrated, and rightfully so now, on finding out what’s next with his hip.

If hes going to be out, and I’m the Rangers, I have no issue signing him for a year or 2 real cheap and keeping him stashed on LTIR until he’s ready to go. 

• Keeps it 100 1

He was brought in because he was cheap to acquire. It turns out it was still a bad move because he was a bad fit for what the team needed. If he’s cheap to sign, that’s not a good enough reason to bring him on board. Right now I don’t see the fit when the team needs to get greasier, not prettier.

• Like 2
  • Keeps it 100 1

2 hours ago, CCCP said:

2nd round pick was still an overpayment. Bag of pucks and a pack of Big Red gum should’ve been enough 

To be fair- we probably would have picked some turd with the pick anyhow. 

• Keeps it 100 1

Was worth a shot in my eyes and a sign to fans that the organzation was “trying” to put the best players on the ice (while sacrificing very little) for a deep run.  Unfortunately, it simply wasn’t the right formula. 

• Applause 2