• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers in on Joel Quenneville?

Phil

5 minutes ago, jsm7302 said:

You're not wrong. It is just embarrassing to see this team get everyone's sloppy seconds and fail time after time. Why can we never develop the next big thing. Could've been Mike Sullivan. Could've been Ulf Samuellson. But we always gotta grab the name whether it be player or coach. 1 cup in 80+ years; definitely stick to the plan...

This is such a tired POV, it's not like the same guy's been calling the shots for 80 years. I can't for the life of me understand why people keep saying this, it's completely irrelevant. 

I've been a fan for a long time (definitely not as long as some on here), and it just seems like this team does a horrible job bringing in coaches. The Rangers are at least good at being competitive and putting together a solid roster, they just hardly ever get enough out of it, or what they should. You look back, and really the only times they've been very successful as a team is when they have a quality head coach. It's usually just constant underachieving and/or they always hire duds as coach. Ron Low, Trottier, Muckler, etc. You get the idea. There's a reason a Jack Adams Award has never come out of NYC.

At least finally there are a handful of quality coaches available that can really take this team to where it needs to be, where it should be. No more excuses.

• Like 1

Just now, Pete said:

This is such a tired POV, it's not like the same guy's been calling the shots for 80 years. I can't for the life of me understand why people keep saying this, it's completely irrelevant. 

Because the narrative transcends one GM. The narrative is the NY market wants the big name for Broadway etc. I agree it is tiring but not because it isn't true but the exact opposite.

3 minutes ago, Pete said:

Plus, Quinn was *not* a name.

• Like 1
  • Bullseye 1

Just now, torontonyr said:

Plus, Quinn was *not* a name.

Right, and frankly I don't even think they need to keep flip-flopping between players coach and hard ass, I think they can bring in a player's coach who knows how to put in play some more structured system and they'll be fine. 

• Like 1

Look at Gallants pattern, it’s time go or next year he will be fired by 25 games in

CBJ. 03-04   16-24-4-1  4th place missed 

CBJ. 04-06   35-43-0-4  3rd place missed

CBJ. 06-07    5-9-0-4     Fired

FLA. 14-15     38-29-0-15 6th place missed

FLA. 15-16     47-26-0-9  1st place Lost 1st

FLA. 16-17     11-10-0-1    Fired

VGK. 17-18    51-24-0-7   1st place Lost SC

VGK. 18-19    43-32-0-7  2nd place Lost 1st

VGK. 19-20    24-19-0-6. Fired

NYR.  21-22   52-24-06.  2nd place Lost EC

NYR. 22-23   47-22-0-13 3rd place Lost 1st  

Edited by Blueshirts1926
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, torontonyr said:

Hired Quinn - need a vet voice.

Hired Gallant - need a stronger structure.

Rumors of Quenneville - why another retread.

"Why don't they just" is exhausting.

Im not even a Q supporter, but it's clearly different than Gallant and there's no guarantees a new mind/younger coach would be any better.

I'm not sure you can call Q a retread when he has the second most wins in the history of the sport. 

• Bullseye 1

Gallant’s been on the hot seat since the Rangers were eliminated and even a bit before this postseason. The Athletic can confirm a report from Sportsnet’s Elliotte Friedman that Gallant and GM Chris Drury got heated after the Game 4 loss to the Devils, fueling speculation that a first-round exit might bring a change behind the bench.

Here’s what we can say right now: Gallant was not in player exit meetings on Wednesday, they were conducted by Drury alone. Though, as Gallant pointed out, that was also the case after last season’s run to the Eastern Conference final, a year in which Gallant was nominated for the Jack Adams award. And Gallant addressing reporters after the players spoke is not usually the act of a coach who may be on the way out.

However, this may not be a usual summer if the Rangers are looking to make a change. It’s not believed that Drury has any appetite to dump Gallant for any other coach, unless something unexpected happens in Pittsburgh between the Penguins and Mike Sullivan; the crop of available veteran coaches, from Peter Laviolette to Bruce Boudreau to Darryl Sutter, is not likely to sway the Rangers into making a move.

https://theathletic.com/4486669/2023/05/03/rangers-exit-interviews-breakup-day-gallant-kane/

• Phil changed the title to Gallant on the Hot Seat; Rangers in on Joel Quenneville?
On 5/3/2023 at 10:06 AM, Sharpshooter said:

I've been a fan for a long time (definitely not as long as some on here), and it just seems like this team does a horrible job bringing in coaches. The Rangers are at least good at being competitive and putting together a solid roster, they just hardly ever get enough out of it, or what they should. You look back, and really the only times they've been very successful as a team is when they have a quality head coach. It's usually just constant underachieving and/or they always hire duds as coach. Ron Low, Trottier, Muckler, etc. You get the idea. There's a reason a Jack Adams Award has never come out of NYC.

At least finally there are a handful of quality coaches available that can really take this team to where it needs to be, where it should be. No more excuses.

Because anytime there’s an issue, this fanbase is immediately trained to point fingers. And since the coach is the easiest target, that’s who should take the blame.

Again, this is on EVERYONE. Gallant, the players, Drury. This falls on everyone. 

But the ones this falls on the most? It’s the players. They were the ones who were no-shows in this series.

• Bullseye 3
  • Keeps it 100 4

If the coaches that were available last summer were free this summer, it’s an easier decision. But the fact of the matter is if this does go down, which guy is coming in?

Laviolette, who I have always loved as a coach, looks to me to be getting old and tired. He looked very uninspired down in DC. And he hasn’t won a playoff round since Nashville went to the Finals. Darryl Sutter? No thank you. Quenneville comes with warts. Who else is out there?

On 5/2/2023 at 1:36 PM, RichieNextel305 said:

Friedman also said what I think needs to be said too. And that’s that it doesn’t matter who the coach is, if your players fail to show up, then you’re never going to win. He said from the jump last night, Jerseys 2 best players (Hughes and Hischier) showed up. Ours? All…what? 5? 6? Of ours? None of them did. Atleast as far as skaters go, not including Igor.

Also made a great point about Hughes, who may have been barking at the refs a little last night (I will say that I don’t consider Hughes to be much of a whiner in that regard): “I’d rather calm down a stallion than rev up a dopey doggy.”

Literally goofy sounding, but spot on accurate. 

And Friedman is right. Scotty Bowman will not win with players who consistently mail it in.

• Like 1

Since Torts we've had AV (2014-2018), Quinn (2019-2021), GG (2022-2023).

https://www.hockey-reference.com/teams/NYR/coaches.html

List of Rangers seasons

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_New_York_Rangers_seasons

Each coach was hired in reaction to a perceived lack from the previous regime.  From Torts, AV was brought in to have a less combative style.  From AV, Quinn was brought in to help develop young players.  From Quinn, GG was brought in to bring a more experienced NHL coach behind the bench.

When you want to change the culture the knee-jerk reaction is to change the coach.  I look at game 5 and game 7 and pin those games on the players for just not competing at playoff level.  I think it would be a stronger statement to keep GG and tell the locker room to get their shit together, getting bounced by the Devils wasn't the coach's fault.  There's a number of long-time Rangers (whether you want to talk about Krieder, Zib, Panarin, or someone else) that do not sustain performance for a playoff year.  There will be flashes (Kreider was brilliant in game 1 and 2 this year and in other spots in the series, I thought Zib was strong in game 6). And then a disappearing act for a game or 2.  Tactically, I don't know how you design a game plan if you are getting outworked by your opponent.  It hasn't mattered who the coach has been, it's been hard to get 60 minutes of playoff-caliber effort from this squad consistently in the playoffs.  And I don't see that changing if you get rid of GG.

But the Rangers way is to get the shiny name.  So of course Quinneville is an upgrade because he won Stanley Cups 10 years ago, and therefore we can plug him in and win Cups here.

• Like 3
  • Cheers 1

On 5/2/2023 at 3:55 PM, Ozzy said:

I wanted Kane, Cr00z...and I still would love it if we could lock him in for one more kick at the can.  He's been playing injured, and I don't think it's that big a secret.  I wouldn't be surprised if he went for surgery very soon, either.  If we can get him at $2 mil for next season, I'd jump at it!

But Quenneville, in my opinion is a master.  The guy was fabulous with St. Louis, Chicago and Colorado.  I think he's 64 years old now, and eventually he's going to be back in the NHL. 

He's THE guy!  😉

Q has a track record. But this would be the 3rd coach running who would be held to account for a bunch of players who don't seem to get how winning important hockey games means shooting, going to the net, winning 1X1 wall battles, greasy goals, not making extra passes. Tortorella had success with Panarin in the playoffs with CBJ, but nobody in their right mind is clamoring to bring him back.

Went down a wormhole few days back of Coach Quinn's various vidoes. He could have plausibly been a poster here. Win wall battles, go to the net, get bodies i f o opposing goalie, defend your net, make the goalie and defense make a decision early with a shot, rebounds; everything we have all been saying FOREVER. 

All that said, you have to change some variable here. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Bugg said:

Q has a track record. But this would be the 3rd coach running who would be held to account for a bunch of players who don't seem to get how winning important hockey games means shooting, going to the net, winning 1X1 wall battles, greasy goals, not making extra passes. Tortorella had success with Panarin in the playoffs with CBJ, but nobody in their right mind is clamoring to bring him back.

Went down a wormhole few days back of Coach Quinn's various vidoes. He could have plausibly been a poster here. Win wall battles, go to the net, get bodies i f o opposing goalie, defend your net, make the goalie and defense make a decision early with a shot, rebounds; everything we have all been saying FOREVER. 

All that said, you have to change some variable here. 

I'd definitely tweak a few things roster-wise, Bugg.  But I don't feel Gallant is the answer here anymore.  I think Quenneville should be the choice if he is available.

1 hour ago, fletch said:

Since Torts we've had AV (2014-2018), Quinn (2019-2021), GG (2022-2023).

https://www.hockey-reference.com/teams/NYR/coaches.html

List of Rangers seasons

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_New_York_Rangers_seasons

Each coach was hired in reaction to a perceived lack from the previous regime.  From Torts, AV was brought in to have a less combative style.  From AV, Quinn was brought in to help develop young players.  From Quinn, GG was brought in to bring a more experienced NHL coach behind the bench.

When you want to change the culture the knee-jerk reaction is to change the coach.  I look at game 5 and game 7 and pin those games on the players for just not competing at playoff level.  I think it would be a stronger statement to keep GG and tell the locker room to get their shit together, getting bounced by the Devils wasn't the coach's fault.  There's a number of long-time Rangers (whether you want to talk about Krieder, Zib, Panarin, or someone else) that do not sustain performance for a playoff year.  There will be flashes (Kreider was brilliant in game 1 and 2 this year and in other spots in the series, I thought Zib was strong in game 6). And then a disappearing act for a game or 2.  Tactically, I don't know how you design a game plan if you are getting outworked by your opponent.  It hasn't mattered who the coach has been, it's been hard to get 60 minutes of playoff-caliber effort from this squad consistently in the playoffs.  And I don't see that changing if you get rid of GG.

But the Rangers way is to get the shiny name.  So of course Quinneville is an upgrade because he won Stanley Cups 10 years ago, and therefore we can plug him in and win Cups here.

Exactly. Instead of firing Gallant, I think it would be better if Gallant and Drury sat down and discussed what they need in order to take the next step.

• VINNY! 1

2 hours ago, RichieNextel305 said:

If the coaches that were available last summer were free this summer, it’s an easier decision. But the fact of the matter is if this does go down, which guy is coming in?

Laviolette, who I have always loved as a coach, looks to me to be getting old and tired. He looked very uninspired down in DC. And he hasn’t won a playoff round since Nashville went to the Finals. Darryl Sutter? No thank you. Quenneville comes with warts. Who else is out there?

No one. Andrew Brunette is probably the only other "notable name," otherwise you're asking the Rangers to sack a back-to-back 100+ point head coach for a total unknown, which we all know they're just not going to do. They're not the franchise to hire the AHL up-and-comer. It was considered a shock when they hired David Quinn (though they did hope to land an unknown in Jim Montgomery at the time).

On 5/3/2023 at 10:11 AM, Pete said:

Right, and frankly I don't even think they need to keep flip-flopping between players coach and hard ass, I think they can bring in a player's coach who knows how to put in play some more structured system and they'll be fine. 

Player's coach with structured system is a young player's coach.  Not exactly vet friendly because if you don't skate in his system you're not going to be around for long.  But NMC's so just totally fucked.

"It's my way or sitting in the pressbox not earning your pay!"

On 5/3/2023 at 9:11 AM, Pete said:

Who was the hard ass since 2014 ?  Quinn?

I know I'm all over the place but maybe hard ass is what this team needs.  We keep saying the effort wasn't there.  

39 minutes ago, Br4d said:

Player's coach with structured system is a young player's coach.  Not exactly vet friendly because if you don't skate in his system you're not going to be around for long.  But NMC's so just totally fucked.

"It's my way or sitting in the pressbox not earning your pay!"

That's certainly your opinion, I wouldn't call it a fact. 

4 hours ago, RichieNextel305 said:

Because anytime there’s an issue, this fanbase is immediately trained to point fingers. And since the coach is the easiest target, that’s who should take the blame.

Again, this is on EVERYONE. Gallant, the players, Drury. This falls on everyone. 

But the ones this falls on the most? It’s the players. They were the ones who were no-shows in this series.

I don't blame Drury that much, if at all. He put together a team that could win the whole thing and they got dumped in the first round. If you want to knock him for the Kane and Tarasenko deals, that's fair. 

Right now, I'm just blaming the coaching for lack of a gameplan and leadership and for the players for a despicable game seven performance. Or really several poor performances in this series. This core group we have now has not had very good coaching at all. Three years of Quinn and two years of Gallant ain't it.

So, I think they need an established coach who is respected. If the players still fuck up, then all bets are off with this roster.

• Bullseye 1
  • Cheers 1

12 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

I don't blame Drury that much, if at all. He put together a team that could win the whole thing and they got dumped in the first round. If you want to knock him for the Kane and Tarasenko deals, that's fair. 

Right now, I'm just blaming the coaching for lack of a gameplan and leadership and for the players for a despicable game seven performance. Or really several poor performances in this series. This core group we have now has not had very good coaching at all. Three years of Quinn and two years of Gallant ain't it.

So, I think they need an established coach who is respected. If the players still fuck up, then all bets are off with this roster.

I agree. I’m just saying there’s blame to go all around. I don’t dislike any move Drury made. The move for Tarasenko was a good one, especially get Mikkola too. Motte was good here last time and was good this time. And there isn’t a GM that would turn down Kane at double retention when he’s begging to come to you and only you and you can get him for what Drury got him for.

My point is just that when it all collapses, there’s blame for all. Varying degrees of course.

• Cheers 1