• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Tocchet on Kravtsov: 'He's got to get in shape to play at this level,'

Phil

9 hours ago, Pete said:

Has such a scrub ever warranted so much conversation?

Probably. I bet other teams who pick bad players high do similar, but this kinda stuff is just beaten to death thanks to social media and analytics. All it takes is one blue bar good chart to drastically and unnecessarily extend the shelf life of a player who doesn't deserve it. Krav, Andersson, even Kakko and Laugh.

Unequal outcomes, ultimately, but similar bad starts and weird camp entrenchments based on minimal data.

2 hours ago, Sharpshooter said:

I think maybe the Rangers should stop reaching when it comes to first rounders. lol Andersson and Kravstov were such a waste of rather high draft picks.

Calling them reaches is a coping mechanism more than it is reality IMO:

Just now, Blue Heaven said:

From Sod: If you look at the five guys drafted immediately after Lias and Krav, Dobson is the only one I'd really like to have.

Necas was the 5th pick after Lias Andersson.  

Ah. It’s a thread about Kravtsov though so I assumed we are more focused on that draft. My bad then. 

• Cheers 1

On 4/4/2023 at 1:30 PM, Phil said:

I mean, I guess. Central Scouting had Andersson as the third-highest European skater going into 2017. Bob McKenzie, who was arguably the industry standard for prospects at the time, had him ranked 13th. He went 7th, which is basically the middle ground between the two. I'm not sure he was a "reach" as much as he was the "safe" pick after they failed to move up to take Pettersson (they tried) or Heiskanen (also tried).

Kravtsov was also ranked as the third-best Euro skater in 2019. McKenzie had him going 12th. He went 9th. Again, not really a "reach," but I think it was probably a mistake given the makeup of the team at the time to not just take Wahlstrom

The issue is they didn't call a spade a spade early when it came to their European scouting.

When is the last time they had success with a European pick in the first round?

Middlestadt and Wahlstrom are NHL players. Leeass and Kraptsov aren't. 

21 minutes ago, Pete said:

The issue is they didn't call a spade a spade early when it came to their European scouting.

Middlestadt and Wahlstrom  were the expected picks.  Rangers wanted to prove they were smarter than everyone else.

• Keeps it 100 2

58 minutes ago, Pete said:

Yup. It's my theory as to why Drury axed the entire group.

• Keeps it 100 1

47 minutes ago, Pete said:

Chytil?

This is the issue with referring to an organization as "they".  Gorton failed.  Drury fired Bobrov.

Then Gorton hired Bobrov in Montreal and picked Slafkovsky over Wright and Cooley.

Shoulda fired Gorton after 2018.

40 minutes ago, Long live the King said:

Chytil?

This is the issue with referring to an organization as "they".  Gorton failed.  Drury fired Bobrov.

Then Gorton hired Bobrov in Montreal and picked Slafkovsky over Wright and Cooley.

Shoulda fired Gorton after 2018.

Cool so...one that you can point to in recent memory. And that guy is a 45 point player in his D+5 season. Bravo. 

Meanwhile you highlight the second paragraph and ignore the first one that points out exactly what you said, before you said it.

So, what's "the problem", other than you cherry picking and looking for discourse where there is none?

37 minutes ago, Pete said:

Cool so...one that you can point to in recent memory. And that guy is a 45 point player in his D+5 season. Bravo. 

Meanwhile you highlight the second paragraph and ignore the first one that points out exactly what you said, before you said it.

So, what's "the problem", other than you cherry picking and looking for discourse where there is none?

I'm not looking for discourse?  I just don't blame Drury for Gorton's mistakes.  I'm not coming at you.  People in general say the Rangers suck at drafting.  Each GM is responsible for their own picks.  That's how I view it.

Also in the last decade Necas is really the only Euro you people can say we missed on unless they wanna argue they thought we should have picked Stutzle over Laf.

• Cheers 1

15 minutes ago, Long live the King said:

I'm not looking for discourse?  I just don't blame Drury for Gorton's mistakes.  I'm not coming at you.  People in general say the Rangers suck at drafting.  Each GM is responsible for their own picks.  That's how I view it.

Also in the last decade Necas is really the only Euro you people can say we missed on unless they wanna argue they thought we should have picked Stutzle over Laf.

Got it, I thought the "this is the problem with people" line was directed at me, which I thought was odd since we said the same thing, otherwise.

I completely agree with not blaming current issues on previous regimes, I said something similar to someone who was talking about "one cup since 1940" as if that meant something. 

The Rangers Euro drafting has been in shambles for some time, and even Drury waited before cleaning house. They should stick to north Americans early. Save the big swings on Euros for later rounds i.e. Buch. 

• 4 weeks later...
7 hours ago, Pete said:

I disagree.

🤣 Look at his instagram and you can see how hard he's going in his off season training program. I'm not sure who thought it was a good idea to post that  particular gym workout.

2 minutes ago, jsrangers said:

🤣 Look at his instagram and you can see how hard he's going in his off season training program. I'm not sure who thought it was a good idea to post that  particular gym workout.

I saw that lmao 

looks like something I can do for sure 

• Keeps it 100 1